• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'll Never Use Paypal Again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Royal Lancer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: I'll Never Use Paypal Again Reply with quote

I'm really burning.

I won an auction for a trumpet on eBay, and I guess I'm a little (lot) naive, because I immediately made the payment to the seller for $1,200.00 using Paypal. By the way, the seller had a perfect selling history with lots of good comments and such. Within 5 minutes I get an email from EBay saying the seller's privileges have been revoked and the auction disappears of the system as if it never existed.

The next day I call everyone that I can think of to get my money back and end up with the Paypal resolution process. Fast forward one month, I received an email from Paypal today saying that they have found in favor of my claim. They will cheerfully credit my account for $200.00 and that they are not responsible for anymore than that.

Anyone got any thoughts what to do past this point? Sure got the urge to strangle someone.

Jack
'07 Lawler C7 Deluxe
'01 Scodwell
'75 Olds Custom
'73 Getzen Severinsen
'67 Bach Stradavarius
'63 Martin Committee
'54 Contempora Trumpet (LB)
'53 Contempora Trumpet
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in business to make money, just like insurance companies. Keep on complaining, take it to your better business bureau if you have one, it is pure BS when they say covered up to 2,000.00 on an auction and then when push comes to shove, nadda!
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered letter to ask for the remainder of the money stating that you will sue them if they don't withing 4 weeks. Then if they don't, launch the dogs at them

If all else fails, call your local Hell's Angel chapter and hire a hitman.

(that last one was a joke btw.)
Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975)
Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP
Getzen Eterna 940
Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I've seen some auctions where the PayPal "insurance" is up to $200 and some where it is listed for $2000. What causes the difference?

I've seen expensive trumpets covered only to $200 and mouthpieces to $2000.

Does it depend upon something with the seller, maybe Premium vs. Business account??

It sounds like you got caught in one with a $200 limit.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what kind of payment you are using for ebay, you always need to talk with ALL sellers ON THE PHONE, BEFORE you send payment, especially for any high value transactions. I generally do this even for international transactions, where the phone call can be rather pricey. The extra few $$ of doing due diligence can save a lot of trouble later on.
Clarkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you pay via PayPal with a credit card? if so dispute it thru your credit card company.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkie wrote:
Did you pay via PayPal with a credit card? if so dispute it thru your credit card company.

That's a great idea too! Had to that myself one time with an escrow company. They threw an incredible fit, and have probably put a ding on my credit report, but I got the money back (also around $1200). This was a few years ago. Heck, if I was concerned for my credit rating, I could probably fight it there and get it removed, as well.

You can also do this if you paid with a check or via your bank account, many of the procedures are similar. It's tougher with money orders...
MarkZ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disputing the charge through the credit card attached to Paypal is your best bet. AmEx is especially good at dispute resolution and keeping their cardholders happy.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always payed my Pal Pal purchases using American Express. Then I sat up a Pay Pal account with my bank. After a few more purchases it came to my attention that they were automatically withdrawing payments out of my bank account. I contacted them and told them I did not want them to do this, and wanted to pay through Am Ex - to no avail. Then I got a refund on one of my purchases and I am still trying to transfer that money back to my bank account. I am not overly pleased with them.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Paypal isn't willing to protect customers from eBay billing fraud, then doesn't that totally defeat the purpose of Paypal? Otherwise, Paypal is just a worthless layer on top of your credit card.

Dispute the Paypal charge with your credit card company, use certified mail, and keep all your records. I guess if Paypal persists, get a judgement against them in small claims court.

This link might also interest you:
http://clarkhoward.com/
% CarolBrass Bb Cornet, Eurobell C Trumpet, and Bb Flugelhorn
% Brasspire Unicorn Piccolo Trumpet
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
If Paypal isn't willing to protect customers from eBay billing fraud...

Don't forget that PayPal is owned by eBay.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bike&ed concerning the phone call, I've bought 9 trumpets now from eBay and off TH and have never been burned as per receiving the instrument. I've had one instance where the condition was not as advertised but that was resolved as well. With a little creative searching it is not too difficult to find the seller's phone number. The call often catches them by surprise but it is good for them to know you can find them again. If you cannot find the number yourself, PM or ask seller a question on eBay. If I cannot find a land line phone number, I don't bid or buy. Good luck with your resolution. Buying anything from the net is always a leap of faith or stupidity...
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
If Paypal isn't willing to protect customers from eBay billing fraud, then doesn't that totally defeat the purpose of Paypal?

Basically, yes, but how else can you pay for ebay auctions using your credit card?

plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to go to your state's Attorney General - I've had VERY good luck going to them! Seems like as soon as the seller gets "the letter" from the AG, they want to sttle quickly - go figure...

Pat
Beeza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use paypal and never have because of the fees some folks reported. I use USPO money orders. That can add 5-7 days to the seller, but almost all will take payment that way. ]

I did get stiffed for $20 on a deal I made "along side" ebay but not actually on it, so I couldn't complain to anyone. Once a payment sent to me was lost in the mail, but the guy did scan me the MO receipt and it was only $7, so I sent him the book anyway.

I've sold a trumpet, but mostly vintage motorcycles and all's been fine.
Any large $ deal requires a personal phone call !
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up on the phone call issue: It's usually best to speak with the seller on the phone before the auction ends. However, if this is impossible for some reason, you can sometimes find their # after the end of the auction. If the don't have a # listed, I always send them a message letting them know that I will be happy to send payment after we have physically spoken on the phone. I do make significant exceptions to this, especially when the seller is a "known."
trpt.com
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used PayPal quite a bit and recommend it but I have learned some useful things from this thread for future transactions.

KingSilverSonic wrote:
I always payed my Pal Pal purchases using American Express. Then I sat up a Pay Pal account with my bank. After a few more purchases it came to my attention that they were automatically withdrawing payments out of my bank account. I contacted them and told them I did not want them to do this, and wanted to pay through Am Ex - to no avail.

When I set mine up with my bank it also defaulted to direct withdrawal from my account for purchases. But it's just another click to change that default and pay with your credit card that you have on file with them. You have to do this for every purchase and even then it asks you "are you sure"? I guess it's because it's more cost effective for them to directly debit your bank account rather than paying fees to the credit card companies.
dizzyizzy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I recently bought had the PayPal $2000 coverage...so I READ their info...seems the level of their coverage is determined by the "number" and types of positive responses a seller has, as well as the type of item sold...so coverage could be $200 or $2000, but it in there...in the very fine print.

dizzyizzy
cessna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy something on e-bay and never get the item you can take criminal charges for fraud. If you got contact info and no what city the person is in you can contact the local police in that city. I bought an item on ebay just for 500.00 and person did not send item. I had him arrested for fraud which is a felony.
Good Luck.
Greg
cessna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the typo I should have puy Know not no
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: