• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Playing Maybe Dangerous to Your Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is full of risks.

Trumpet happens to be worth it for me. I'm almost 40, and I started playing when I was 10. I exercise 3-5 times per week, and my resting heart rate is 51. I have no heart murmur, nor any evidence of damage to my body from playing the trumpet. I'm more concerned about what might happen to me while driving to a gig than what might happen to me while playing the gig itself.

In the interest of sharing information, one of my colleagues, Martin Cochran, did his DMA dissertation at U. of Alabama on the Valsalva Maneuver as it relates to brass playing (BTW, Martin is a MONSTER euphonium player...won the Falcone competition in 2002). I don't know if it will help the discussion or not, but if you really want to seek out research, you should be able to get a copy of it from the university library.

Paul
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Perils of Trumpeting by Charles R. Meyer, M.D. from the Minnesota Medical Association, February 2003 / Volume 86.
joshsbarber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great link, havent managed to read all of it just yet (bit late for me) but definatly interesting. looking forward to reading the rest once iv had some... (rest)...

josh
Majestic1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before my toast gets burnt for breakfast, I found some things which might be of interest to those who still have an open mind to the hazards of trumpet playing.

Gottfried Reiche (1667-1734), Bach’s chief trumpeter at Leipsic, played to his sixty-eighth year, when he overtaxed himself at a torchlight concert and died in a seizure the next day. Though trumpet-playing was the proximate cause of his death, it did no more than pull the trigger (for he had high blood pressure). http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/bach/reiche/

Also from The Musical Times:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0027-4666(193406)75%3A1096%3C560%3AWAH%3E2.0.CO%3B2-0

Trumpet players 'risk stroke'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/948374.stm

At the University of Munster, in Germany. they identified five cases where people had suffered damage to blood vessels to the brain by playing the trumpet. This damage then led to the people having a stroke.
Dr. Evers - one of the researchers - highlighted a case of a 17-year-old who had suffered a number of "mini-strokes" whilst playing the trumpet. However, he then went on to say that in most of the cases studied the patients had had a predisposition to having a stroke.

Internationally renowned Canadian jazz pianist and trumpet player Oscar Peterson has died. The 82-year-old died at his Mississauga, Ont. home on Sunday from kidney failure and other complications following a stroke several years ago, sources have confirmed.
http://music.propeller.com/story/2007/12/24/canadian-jazz-legend-oscar-peterson-dies

Trumpet player’s head explodes trying to hit a high note
http://www.shout.net/~jmh/articles/explode.html

Rumor has it that trumpet player James Tuozzolo died Dec 31, 2000 on stage of a heart attack while performing a solo with the Greater Trenton Symphony Orchestra
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/onstage.asp

UNT expert: Musicians not tuned in to injuries
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-hearingloss_24ent.ART.State.Edition2.4375e3b.html

Professor, himself a trumpeter who toured with some of the country's great jazz trumpeters

Weightlifting 'link to eye risk'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5334116.stm
However, higher intraocular pressure has been reported during the Valsalva manoeuvre, in which air is forced against a closed windpipe and pressure increases in the chest.
This action occurs during coughing, vomiting, playing wind instruments - and sometimes weightlifting.
"Mr Wright said glaucoma had also been linked to trumpet playing, and to wearing neckties too tightly." AOL Journals: Magic Smoke

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/2006/09/12/health-good-newsbad-news-plus-using-blockquotes/1632

Radio announcer, Paul Harvey, said that doctors at some college have completed a study of life-long trumpet players which indicates that blowing hard to reach for those high notes promotes glaucoma.”
Look under the section named “Eyes”
http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/health.html

Scientific American, March '97. It mentioned Valsalva, referring to making pressure inside your lungs. That pressure can burst the little alveoli where gas exchange occurs. It can force air out of the lungs into your body where it collects in bubbles under the skin.
Additionally stating bursting alveoli:
A human cardiopulmonary system model applied
to the analysis of the Valsalva maneuver
http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/281/6/H2661.pdf
Majestic1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an article (after breakfast) from a trumpet player of whom most everyone here knows and of which might help those who might be concerned about this issue for he gives some practical advice.

Trumpet playing and health problems

http://abel.hive.no/trompet/tpin/Playing_and_health.html
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes getting what you want or expect ends up being... well, not what you like or enjoy. An extra 10 or 15 years on my life but I have to give up the trumpet?

Here is a question for Majestic 1 that no one including Majestic 1 can answer. What is going to be the quality of those extra 10 or 15 years for you if you live them?
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
luckymrg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATT GRAVES wrote:
Sometimes getting what you want or expect ends up being... well, not what you like or enjoy. An extra 10 or 15 years on my life but I have to give up the trumpet?

Here is a question for Majestic 1 that no one including Majestic 1 can answer. What is going to be the quality of those extra 10 or 15 years for you if you live them?

If I may add my limited knowledge to the issue,- I am not a professional by any means and play at a faily low level for amusement and personal satisfaction at the lovley silvery tones I produce when I am fresh and the piece is a simple one with the lyrical richness that I am fond of. I have just turned 80 yrs old and of course, like any one of us, each time I play I experiment with the upper range, curious to see wether or not I have extended my upper range, perhaps by a teensy weensy bit? Well, like all of us, the answer is a qualified yes, albiet not in the Brandenburg 2 range, but fairly decent, if I must say so. Never do I experience dizzyness, headache, or any of the symptoms mentioned and the frightening stories in this forum do not scare me one bit, although I must say a long time professional and teacher, a friend of mine, who enjoys playing High altitude baroque pieces with various chamber orchesters here in N.Y.. The instrument is a shilke piccilo, which he plays with astonishing precision and beauty. However, and I hesitate to tell him, I have watched in dismay when he is fully engaged in the extreme high register, his complexion goes from fair skinned, to a frightening beet red. I will not mention it to him, as I value his friendship very much. Should I ?
Majestic1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATT GRAVES wrote:

Who said that you have to give up the trumpet? Not me! I’m saying beware and be aware. If you don’t enjoy your life outside of the trumpet then that is your issue that you have to deal with in life. For me, I value my wife and child more than any of my horns; so, to spend an extra 10 of 15 years with them is worth the cost of those horns and I would make that trade in an instant. Others would rather die with and from their horns. Why should I have to choose my death via the trumpet and to even make my death 10 – 15 years early because of it or even miserable for that time period? If you want to knock off 10 – 15 years off your life, don’t you think your brothers, sisters, wife and kids are going to miss you and be a little upset if not a whole lot upset with you for leaving them so early? From my experience, I would have welcomed another 10 – 15 minutes with a dying loved one.

MATT GRAVES wrote:

You posed a question to me and yet don’t expect me to answer? I’m not a prophet and I don’t think that there are any in this forum; however, I can answer this question better for me than for you. If you want some help for an answer for yourself, ask your brothers, sisters, wife and kids how they would like to see you in your last 10 or 15 years of life IF you live. IMO, it just stands to reason that body abuse will catch up with you in time and the later years in ones life will show these effects of abuse even more. The less time one spends in abusing their body when they are young, the less chance of the body suffering and showing those effects in those latter years of life; so, it stands to reason that the last 10 or 15 years of an abused body will be more of suffering than otherwise. If you are a religious person, you might want to consider that your 10 – 15 year countdown ended yesterday so that you can be more thankful for living today and each and every day hereafter.

luckymrg wrote:

However, and I hesitate to tell him, I have watched in dismay when he is fully engaged in the extreme high register, his complexion goes from fair skinned, to a frightening beet red. I will not mention it to him, as I value his friendship very much. Should I ?

Luckymrg,

If I had a friend who saw me falling down and did not help me, then he is no friend of mine. If I see my friend fall and I don’t help him, then I am really no friend of his. Real friends know how to talk to each other and know how to help each other.

To put it another way, a person who does not have knowledge is like a blind man walking down the street. If you see that he is about to crash and fall into a pit, it is your responsibility as a person in the family of human beings to prevent him from doing this. Also, don’t expect any thanks. You can see what thanks that I got from posting this information.

I started this thread from what I experienced from playing the horn; so, this forum can take it or leave it. If a person wants to “fall into the pit” after I am gone (sign off and/or quite this forum), that’s their business. In fact, if there are some who would like to continue this issue, I think it would be wise that they pick up this thread from here on.

Luckymrg, I hope you live a long life in health, happiness and peace.

Oops! My toast got burnt.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does have a humorous side to it:

"Bud counts among his friends and the musicians he admires most a disparate group of trumpeters that includes Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinsen and the late jazz artist Dizzy Gillespie, who was famous for his upthrust horn and bulging cheeks. Gillespie, a black man, once kidded him: "Bud, how come your cheeks don't puff up when you play?" Bud replied: "Diz, how come your face doesn't get red when you play?"

This is from:

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/nicksdomain/
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: