• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Suspended Marketplace Woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Suspended Marketplace Woes Reply with quote

Hi,

I suspect the Marketplace was an idea to help fellow musicians on TrumpetHerald find access to used instruments and accessories. In that, it probably has done some good.

However, as spammers began to enter the Marketplace, respect for fellow musicians has moved to distrust as to who is a real seller vs. a spammer intent on deception and stealing. With that, we are left to mistrust our fellow musicians and have to ask ourselves: "Is this Marketplace advertiser a fellow musician. Is he/she real or is she/she a scammer trying to rip me off?

Now it seems as if a spammer is hijacking the Marketplace which goes to show that it no longer serves the same purpose.

If the Marketplace has become a point of contention between fellow musicians, why have it at all? There are other places to "buy and sell" instruments and accessories. Why let the Marketplace destroy the reputation of TH or affect negatively the comradarie of fellow musicians in this forum?

Paid, legitimate advertisers are one thing, but the Marketplace with free advertisers as it has become is another. Buying and selling on Marketplace ought not to be: "I must be on the lookout for the growing number of spammers and crooks and I can't trust any of my fellow musicians." Do you see where Marketplace is going?

Does TH have to have Marketplace to be a successful to its readers and participants? Only TH can answer that!

Best wishes!

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Marketplace successfully for a number of buy/sell transactions and actually trust it more than Ebay. I always check out the Forum activity of my counterparty before offering to buy or agreeing to sell. A phone call is usually involved and I've never felt uncomfortable. I know scammers are there and take that into account, BUT the Marketplace is one the very best venues for buying and selling quality trumpet-related items. I'd hate to lose it.

OTOH, I realize that it can be an administrative burden. The question becomes how much time and effort is it taking away from the TH mission? I can't answer that. It would be a lost, valuable resource, but if it's eating up too much administrative time and causing too much negative energy, then maybe it does need to go.

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw the instruments in my signature. All but the Schilke came to me through the Marketplace. Every one is a "special" instrument that I was able to buy at a very good price. A few others have passed in and out of my hands through the Marketplace. I don't know of a better place for really specialized trumpet needs, other than some retailers.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: