• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

aperture too spread??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, I have been having trouble with my attacks being too soft, or not having enough energy on the front end of the note. I have been told that my aperture is too spread and I need to "focus my buzz" to fix this problem. However, since attending IU, and I'm not sure if I really buy into the idea of the buzz anymore.

I guess what I'm asking is what Mr. Adam's thoughts on the aperture being to spread, or if this problem really exists at all. I guess I need to energize the sound more. Any thoughts?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak from a Bill Adam approach, but have you ever just considered putting the horn to your face and blowing? That approach worked very well for me for quite a while. Just relax, put the horn to your lips and play music. Try not to think about whether your aperture is too wide or unfocused, or am I tonguing too hard, or am I breathing right, or am I breathing too deep/not deep enough, or is my mouthpiece in the right place, or are my shoulders too high, my chest to tight, etc. Get relaxed and comfortable, know how you want it to sound, take a nice relaxed breath and make it happen.

Of course, if that doesn't work, I would suggest doing some verrrrrry soft single tonguing exercises. This will focus your embouchure. So will doing soft breath attacks, no tongue.

Energize your sound? I don't know about that buy I know if you relax and make it sound like you want it to sound, your sound should have plenty of energy.

Good luck!

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-05-07 14:23 ]
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of seeming rude, is there a particular reason why you are posing this question here, rather than to one of the profs at IU who studied with Mr. Adam (Rommel or Harbison), or to Mr. Adam himself?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one to talk about on the net. If we were together I would model a sound for you that would adjust your mechanics naturally in the course of playing call and response. It is important that you imagine the note sounding the way you want it to and pursuing that result will adjust your mechanics. We would probably play from Getchell, Arban (Art of Phrasing), etc. Simple things most everyone works on. It isn't what you work on as much as it is how you think and how you approach things.

The big thing is to imagine that the sound is made at the front of your mouth, rather than back in your throat. The sound production feels as if it is kept to the front with your airflow. "Blow the sound to the front."

Also, think of your articulation as "pronunciation". Pronounce every note as if you were singing. Say the consonant distinctly and IMMEDIATELY follow that consonant with the singing vowel sound. "DOOOOOOOOOO", not "DuhOOOOH".

Practice singing every single exercise and phrase before you play it and pay particular attention to the distinct pronunciation of the syllables you sing. Then, think exactly the same way as you carry the singing approach to the trumpet.
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pat. I know it would be easier to diagnose my problem, if there is one, if you could hear me play in person. Your advice was very helpful and thats exactly why I posted this question on the Adam forum.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aperture test at my website...

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a pregnancy test there?

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-05-19 00:46, Emb_Enh wrote:
Aperture test at my website...
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, wrong aperture.
TopGun
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: