• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Satin/bead blast/scratch finish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter2290

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Satin/bead blast/scratch finish Reply with quote

Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get a new trumpet (polished silver) to look like this? http://www.newyorktrumpetcompany.com/stage1vintage.htm

and who I could possibly send it too to have that done? because I really love that finish and when I get a new trumpet this summer I want it to have it, and since most trumpets come with just polished silver I would need to send it away to get it done.

Thanks
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Satin/bead blast/scratch finish Reply with quote

peter2290 wrote:
Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get a new trumpet (polished silver) to look like this? http://www.newyorktrumpetcompany.com/stage1vintage.htm

and who I could possibly send it too to have that done? because I really love that finish and when I get a new trumpet this summer I want it to have it, and since most trumpets come with just polished silver I would need to send it away to get it done.

Thanks

You could email Felix and ask him how much he would charge to do that finish on your horn. When I bought a horn for him, he told me that he could do any finish/lacquer that I wanted...

Felix is one heck of a guy to deal with...a real Class Act!
peter2290

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm thats a good idea (Im surprised I didn't think of that ). I guess I'll send him a message when I get my new horn this summer.

Thanks

Peter
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you DO it, might want to talk to Anderson Plating in Indiana. I was consideing a satin gold finish, until I spoke with them. It seems satin finishes have different potential problems. I don't own one though, and I suspect some folks who do might respond here.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was going to get a satin silver finish on one of my horns. I then spoke with the person who was going to do the finish and he told me that while this finish is very nice when new, one will have problems with it as time goes on. For one, I was told, the places were the hand grips the trumpet will become shiny. I recall that it was also mentioned that a satin silver horn is very difficult to clean. So, decided against that finish.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with KingSilverSonic. I first started lusting after a satin finish when I saw a picture of the Lawler cornet. Shortly after that I had a chance to get a new horn with a brushed gold finish. I questioned the maker (Eclipse) and was advised that although the satin CAN be had (in gold plate), due to the relative softness of the gold any marks (touching it with a wedding ring, having the 3rd slide slip off and "ding" the bell, etc will leave marks in the satin that will show up. By contrast a brushed finish is much more random and will tend to hide those marks. After 4 years of "use and abuse" of my horn I am happy that I bowed to the wisdom expressed.

And, of course, it's much easier to get a satin OR brushed finish on a NEW horn because the silver plate (or lacquer or whatever) doesn't have to be removed first! You can't "satinize" or "brush" an already-plated horn without taking it back to bare brass.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's a reason that the old makers didn't do satin anymore after the 20s.

On the other hand, there's no rule that says a satin silver horn can't then be lacquered....

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
peter2290

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know about all that . Thanks guys, I guess Im gonna rethink my original thought. I mean it does look awesome and all, but I guess all those problems will be a hassle and I'm perfectly fine with just regular old silver plate (shiny is also awesome), I just wanted to try something a bit different.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter2290 wrote:
I'm perfectly fine with just regular old silver plate (shiny is also awesome), I just wanted to try something a bit different.
Peter

Or you could try the happy medium... non-polished silver.... I actually prefer the patina my 1985 Bach 37 has picked up over the years of "neglect" compared to the mirror shine. And you can always polish it back up if you change your mind.
bassmannate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the traditional silver polishes don't work as well on satin finishes, you can use a substance called whiting (not sure exactly what it is chemically. It's a very fine white powder) with a little rubbing alcohol on a soft rag and it works great. It is a bit more of a chore to clean though since you can't just wipe it down with Hagarty's polish.
LeroyW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about ready to purchase an overhaul from GeorgiaPeach120 on Ebay. I have a Benge LA 5 that got some serious water damage but it seems to be tight and plays nicely. I have two 3's to compare it with. I got a nice note from Dave Williams, the restorer.
Quote:
TRUMPET OVERHAUL- DENT WORK, VALVE REPAIR, NEW FINISH
LET YOUR HORN LOOK & PLAY ITS BEST ! BRIGHT OR SATIN ! Item number: 280218612400

Has anybody heard anyting about him.

LeroyW - Lee

"Only they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do." Apostle Paul
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeroyW wrote:
I'm just about ready to purchase an overhaul from GeorgiaPeach120 on Ebay. I have a Benge LA 5 that got some serious water damage but it seems to be tight and plays nicely. I have two 3's to compare it with. I got a nice note from Dave Williams, the restorer.
Quote:
TRUMPET OVERHAUL- DENT WORK, VALVE REPAIR, NEW FINISH
LET YOUR HORN LOOK & PLAY ITS BEST ! BRIGHT OR SATIN ! Item number: 280218612400

Has anybody heard anyting about him.

LeroyW - Lee

Run away! Run away!

I had done a search on TH regarding overhaul threads and found an old posting from someone who worked with him and had a HORROR story.... Months and months and months with episodes of trying by phone and email and rigamaroles and lack of communication and more months and months with no horn.

I PMed him through ebay to ask what would exact cost be with link to photos of my banged up horn. Coincidentally, he waited until AFTER the "auction" expired with no bids to get back to me. Then told me he couldn't give an estimate until after I mail him my horn and he can see it (uhhh... that's what photos are for and what no other shop had trouble giving me bid with).

Spend the extra $100 and go with someone reputable!
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Green, greensbuff@aol.com Experienced, and a man who takes great pride in his workmanship. Fast turn around as he lives in Elkhart and has Anderson do his plating.
LeroyW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have put Mr. Williams on hold and emailed Mr. Green

LeroyW - Lee

"Only they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do." Apostle Paul
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeroyW wrote:
thanks for all your help and suggestions. I have put Mr. Williams on hold and emailed Mr. Green
LeroyW - Lee

Good call. That offer by Williams shows up again and again constantly, so don't be rushed to make up your mind by the end of the auction date. Also note in his fine print that he charges extra for parts or any little non-standard thing that pops up (or maybe that was what he hinted at in his late email response to my inquiry), which is why I tried to get a quote out of him before bidding. That price is sort of the base-line, not the ceiling!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: