• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Having trouble with to much pressure on mouth piece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzy girl

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Having trouble with to much pressure on mouth piece Reply with quote

Any suggestions?
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: pressure on lips Reply with quote

Hi JG - first, do you rest as much as you play? Second, what kind of problems and what kind of pressure? Third, eat more spinach. Kidding. No, not really. Well, maybe only half. Really.

Seeing as you posted on the Stamp page, I feel right about typing this: Stamp-Rx lip buzzing was hard for me to begin. Likewise, mouthpiece buzzing was hard for me to begin.

Continue daily. Begin slowly. Why push hard for results, if pushing hard brings less good results?

Also, from my limited experience, I recommend you check out the Caruso page. Search under '6 notes'. At first the Caruso intro bit was easier (for me) than the Stamp buzzing stuff. Yet soon, not surprisingly, as I began to get results it got to be more of a challenge.

Last, rest more and play less. Minute by minute, page by page, session by session, hour by hour, rest as much as you play.

Good luck in finding your way to doing less!!
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: pressure on lips Reply with quote

connicalman wrote:
Last, rest more and play less. Minute by minute, page by page, session by session, hour by hour, rest as much as you play.

Good luck in finding your way to doing less!!

Wow. Great post. Pausing between Schlossberg stuff. I had some reading to do and tackled a line of Schlossberg -- read a paragraph or two -- pondered on it -- another line (or two) of Max.

What struck me is how much more similar that was to my actual playing in concert band: versus, finish the exercise. Wait a minute. Go to the next.

I thought I was pretty good at resting as much as I play or resting enough. But the last 30 minutes suggest I'm not as good as I thought.

Oh, the exercises went just dandily too. Time flew by. And I wasn't over worked. And piano means piano not mf, and mezzo forte means mezzo forte and not f. Timbre/tone trumps all. At least, I'm hoping that's right

Fwiw, I look for improvement over a month or more of doing what I should be doing. If I don't stick with it and flit from here to there, with me, it's like a dog chasing it's tail. Lots of activity merely.

P.S. Sorry for no precise advice on pressure. If it hurts, I don't do it. I stay within my limits. And as I go about it as Conical laid out, those limits expand slowly. Thanks for letting me post in the Stamp forum. Saw this thread at the top of the homepage quick links, and the timing was perfect to see how Conical answered the OP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: