• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lesson with Mr. Mohan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screamindemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Lesson with Mr. Mohan Reply with quote

A few months ago I took a crash course with Mr. Mohan. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. I had no idea what to expect from the Gordon method.
For anybody else out there interested in taking lessons from Mr. Mohan all i can say is that it is a must. He is perhaps one of the most knowledgable trumpet players/teachers that I have ever had the pleasure of studying with. My only problem is that my active duty Military career keeps me from being able to study with him on a continuous basis.
I am currently deployed in Iraq with the 101st Airborne Division Band. Practice time is not exactly at a premium due to all of the othere duties I have, even though i am a bandsmen. With out a doubt my Gordon routine is the only thing saving my chops.
I have to play taps for an upcoming Memorial service, and would not be able to do it with a decent sound otherwise.
The only other thing that I would like to add is that I learned more from Mr. Mohan in a period of nine hours (spread out over a couple of weeks) than I had in the past thirteen years of my playing. Hopefuly this little bit of feed back helps. Oh yeah and my range jumped way up just in our first lesson. I guess that is just a bi product of correct playing.

thanx
Harry Rogers

Live life to the fullest! Practice Practice Practice, and if you don't try it it will never work. "Big Breath Chest UP" (This one is totally saving me right now)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Harry,

Thanks for the nice write-up!

I think about you and worry a bit about you over there - I think I speak for all of us when I say how PROUD we all are of you and the many others who risk so much for us.

Hang in there, practice as much as you can and stay as safe as you can.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Screamindemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I hope that all is going well. I've been reading the posts everytime that I get a chance. The very small things that people on this forum will argue about simply never ceases to amaze me.

It is comforting to know that people in the U. S. are standing behind the troops. I don't always get all of the practice time that I would like to, but that is one of the things that I will be battleing for the next several months.

I would like to put this out there for anybody else that is interested in studying with Mr. Mohan. I am experiencing some absolutely crazy results with the Gordon Method. Please note I have never been a "consistent" player in the strictest sense of the term. I didn't play for two days, and today I did the warm up in lesson three of SA. I was screaming the ascending F arrpegio. I would like to point out that I play on a schilke 19 mtpc. The thing feels like putting your lips into a tub, well that was at first anyway. Sorry I'm deviating from the point. The point is and John wouldn't be happy about this but I did it ten times in a row. I have never had that type of consistency! I didn't bother trying to play any higher after that. Of course i did the warm down and rested.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I played my pedal tones with a freakishly huge sound today. I attribute all of this to one thing. I am finally starting to grasp the concept of air power. I felt like i was squeezing my abs, back muscles, and lower ribb cage area, along with the muscles of the chest. This is some pretty amazing stuff. Well hope this is informative to some out there that are curious.

Harry Rogers

Live life to the fullest! Practice Practice Practice, and if you don't try it it will never work. "Big Breath Chest UP" (This one is totally saving me right now)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamindemon wrote:
...I was screaming the ascending F arrpegio. I would like to point out that I play on a schilke 19 mtpc. The thing feels like putting your lips into a tub, well that was at first anyway. Sorry I'm deviating from the point. The point is and John wouldn't be happy about this but I did it ten times in a row. I have never had that type of consistency! I didn't bother trying to play any higher after that. Of course i did the warm down and rested.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I played my pedal tones with a freakishly huge sound today. I attribute all of this to one thing. I am finally starting to grasp the concept of air power. I felt like i was squeezing my abs, back muscles, and lower ribb cage area, along with the muscles of the chest. This is some pretty amazing stuff. Well hope this is informative to some out there that are curious.

Harry Rogers

Hi there Harry,

It's not that I'm not happy (I'm always happy). See?

But I've done the same thing in the past as I was developing. I'd find myself able to play higher notes than ever before, and then in a joyful fit of celebration, I'd nail those notes over and over - and pay for it the next day. Don't do that!

You're right about your pedal notes and the air relation - you're learning to really put air through the horn. As you develop the knack of this, you'll find that not only your loud playing will develop, but you will gain the "knack" or "feel" of playing incredibley softly, while still "putting air through the horn" - meaning not "pinching off" to play soft.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I was wondering, are you back from Iraq yet?

John
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do you teach on line.. or by phone.. internationally?

Brett
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPL wrote:
John, do you teach on line.. or by phone.. internationally?

Brett

Mainly I teach in person. For people that don't live near Chicago, I do the Crash Courses as Claude Gordon did (the students comes in for about a week and takes about 10 to 12 hours of intense lessons, and then I write up a lesson plan that takes into consideration the student's current level of playing, and what he or she wants to develop (all-around ability, classical, jazz, high notes, etc.). The Lesson plan provides about 8 months to a year worth of lessons to be done. That's what I did for Harry Rogers (screamindemon).

I've also helped many players over the phone, especially when I lived in Germany and players from the States would call for help.

If you'd like to study with me, let me know!

Best Wishes,

John Mohan
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Australia, where I suspect there may not be one single qualified Claude Gordon teacher (alive or dead)! I would even consider flying to the US to do one of your short courses, John.. I'm not wealthy so I'd have to do a lot of saving.. but one day I may well do just that.

Fortunately Jeff is going to give me some on line lessons, and I've ordered "the works" from CG music (still eagerly awaiting it's arrival.. imminent I think). I can't express how excited I am about starting this. I feel like it's the beginning of my trumpet playing life (even though I've been playing for 30 years).

Tangential question.. I know I should probably ask this elsewhere, but..

Is CG inconsistent with CC? Should I stop CC if I'm planning on immersing myself in CG? Is it redundant?

Brett
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPL wrote:
I live in Australia, where I suspect there may not be one single qualified Claude Gordon teacher (alive or dead)! I would even consider flying to the US to do one of your short courses, John.. I'm not wealthy so I'd have to do a lot of saving.. but one day I may well do just that.

Fortunately Jeff is going to give me some on line lessons, and I've ordered "the works" from CG music (still eagerly awaiting it's arrival.. imminent I think). I can't express how excited I am about starting this. I feel like it's the beginning of my trumpet playing life (even though I've been playing for 30 years).

Tangential question.. I know I should probably ask this elsewhere, but..

Is CG inconsistent with CC? Should I stop CC if I'm planning on immersing myself in CG? Is it redundant?

Brett

If by "CC" you mean the Caruso method, yes you should stop that immediately - no matter what.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. I have now abandoned the Caruso. My CG material finally arrived, and I've been watching the DVD over and over... and over. I have a profound sense of "that's it!".. I can't believe this stuff isn't more widely known (and followed). Maybe it is, and I've just been the only one in the dark... but I know that's not the case. I've been on it for one day, and I swear I can feel a change! I absolutely love the breathing exercises.. I'm figuring they have general health benefits way beyond just blowing a piece of pipe.

I feel like this is life changing.. I owe it to TH and the people here.. much gratitude.
omnimny

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett,
I contacted Bruce Haag for online lesson just yesterday, He teaches the Claude Gordon method. It is pleasant to talk with.
Which dvd you bought and where?
Ciro.
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciro, I bought all the material directly from Claude Gordon Music Enterprises.. the DVD is The Seven Natural Elements of Brass Playing - A Master Class With Claude Gordon. It's worth every cent and more... totally changing my life... buy it.

Brett
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is truly eye-opening material, isn't it? It was the same for me back in about 1977 when I first discovered Claude's books "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet" and "Daily Trumpet Routines".

Now it's 31 years later, and nothing changes. The information is there; it is available, but it is hidden by dozens, maybe hundreds of crazy, illogical trumpet "methods", and false "theories" (really just "ideas") that permeate the world. The Internet has made it possible to find out much more about Claude and his method, but unfortunately, the Internet has made it possible to be sidetracked by useless ideas as well.

Glad you found out for yourself. Now apply what you are learning and stick with it until it develops- that is the last hurdle that stops so many.

To the poster who wanted to know where to buy the Claude Gordon books and video, here is the website:

http://www.claudegordonmusic.com/

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, that's inspiring.. to know that others have felt the same way, and that I'm not crazy for thinking that way. The truth is, I have never second guessed myself on this... I have a strong sense of it's "rightness".. there's no second guess...

Warning: a little rant follows:

The question still remains, tho'. Why doesn't everyone do it? Sure the internet allows the snake oil merchants to thrive (I've bought some of that myself.. the stuff with the high note tacked on it), but I don't think that's the reason... after all it's been around since he year dot. Two possibilities come to mind:

1. The old saying.. "No pain No gain" or "Nothing worthwhile is ever easy" has become part of the human psyche. If something is "hard to do" and we can do it, then we can pat ourselves on the back and say "what a clever boy am I". Unfortunately, we have misinterpreted "hard" to mean "difficult".. in a way, we want it to be difficult so we can prove ourselves, and then we look for a short cut so we can do it without having to put in the yards. In short, we think it's "hard" to play high and long, but it's not.. what's hard is to practice correctly, day in, day out until we can play high and long easily.

2. The point above assumes a misunderstanding that people might have, but I think sometimes people do understand it but still don't get there.. as you said, John. Two possibilities; they just don't want it badly enough, or; they don't have what it takes to sit there and practice 'til it develops. You might even say "it's too hard".

One other thought, and that is the frustration of trying to explain it to others. For me, as I've said, this is profound and so I want to explain it to my family members.. it's like trying to describe a Volks Wagon to an alien. But I've kind of gotten past that now.. so I'm blurting it all out here.. lol.

Brett
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett,

I just wanted to mention that I am now offering Webcam lessons and with the fast bandwidth offered today, the quality of both picture and sound is finally good enough to do this over the Internet.

So if you're still interested, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: