• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcinkiewicz Signature Series Trumpet Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgirl8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz Signature Series Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hey, so I'm looking for a mouthpiece that will help me in the high register. Ive read lots of reviews about the Marcinkiewicz that state it is great for high register. Does anyone use them, and if so, how good are they? Thanks!
JakeUND
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great pieces if you can find a size that works for you. The only way you will find out if they are good for you or not is to try them. Try them out at a music store or order a few. They are fairly cheap as far as mouthpieces go these days.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to use a Marcinkiewicz for lead playing. It worked pretty well for what it was intended, but the throat was super small compared to what i was used to.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Marcinkiewicz Rick Baptist model that is very efficient--it's a little too shallow for my tastes, but very comfortable with an easy high register. I just gave it to my son, who has been playing on a Bach 7C and really struggling with the sharp rim. He has thin lips, and it seems to work for him in all registers.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to highlight what's already been said about trying them out personally. They make a very nice selection of stuff, and at an affordable price when compared to a lot of other mouthpieces these days. If any aspect of a mouthpiece is an issue for you, they're pretty willing to alter something at the factory for you (though, it will cost something). I actually have one of their mouthpieces with a larger throat for commercial playing.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an E16, made for Pete Condoli. Tight throat, but plays very well, and open too, due to a big backbore. I'm a powerful lead player with a bright and focused sound anyway, but this thing gives me even more zip, and makes upstairs easier. (Sounds like Condoli, not my fav sound, but hey it works sometimes) Even extends my range over my (previous) best set-up. It's smaller than I expect to actually want to play, but for what it does for me I don't think I'll be able to justify sending it back, to get like $30.
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest the Bobby Shew Signature Models.
I personally use a 1.5 and a 2.0 depnding on what I am playing
(I am no lead player that's for sure)

I wouldn't go all the way straight into the screamer lead 1.0 Shew model.

But try starting around the 1.5.

The V cup helps support the upper register and you can still get plenty our air through it.
If that's too big you can you downward in steps. 1.25 to 1.0.

I've had mine for 10 years.
These are still as good as new - the pieces are great value for the money.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your other topic in the High Note Forum, you said you were a 10th grader who can play an E above the staff. First of all, I don't recommend that developing young players start messing around with "high note" mouthpieces - they should be on a sound program of fundamentals under the guidance of a teacher, using equipment designed for all around playing. No toilet bowls or bent dimes. Your range will naturally increase as you become a better trumpeter.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
trumpetgirl8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for all your help! I'm not sure if Ill get one right away, but first I want to ask our Quinlan and Fabish if they have a few I can test out before purchasing.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck with your search. The Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 1.5 is a popular size for lead playing and upper register support. I actually find it easier to play then the slightly deeper 2.0 size. I use it for Jazz Band and other special situations that have a lot of work above the staff. For my concert band/church music I use a GR65C**.

Remember, a mouthpiece is not going to give you a range you don't have but it will provide better support in the upper register. I can play as high on the GR65C** as I can on the Marcinkiewicz but not for an extended period of time.

Mike
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the counsel to not use a lead piece as a crutch for developing players. I have been teaching my son for a couple of years now, and because he's not a very big kid and has thin lips, he really struggles on the Bach 7C. I hesitated a long time before introducing him to my Marcinkiewicz. The cup on the Rick Baptist model is somewhat shallow, but not as shallow as other lead pieces, and the rim is much more comfortable for him. Due to a fat tuba player stepping on his cornet, he has been playing my spare Bb, a Claude Gordon Selmer, which, of course, is way too much horn for a 75-pound kid. He needed something to give him a little resistance until we can afford to get him a more suitable horn. The combination of the 7C and the huge bore of the CG gave him a really dark sound that sometimes gets swallowed in his middle school band. He practices diligently, and earned the first chair as a seventh grader over a bunch of eighth graders. I felt he needed a little boost, and I will monitor his progress carefully to make sure he's still doing what he needs to do and not falling into bad habits. He already sounds much better. Joe M. makes great mouthpieces. I play Warburtons now, but I have a lot of respect for Joe and his products.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
trumpetgirl8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I use a Holon Heim and it used to give me good support in the upper register, but now Im finding it harder to play up there. Thats what I mean by a mouthpiece that will let me play higher.
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started both of my sons (11 and 13 now) on the Marcinkiewicz 4/7c two years ago it seems a little bigger than the Bach 7c. I was a little apprehensive since it was a little bigger, but they are doing quite well with it so I am leaving well enough alone. Marcinkiewicz does not make an exact copy of the Bach 7c.

Joe
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the sentiment that you shouldn't switch to a lead mouthpiece looking to quickly jump your range into the stratosphere. I use a Marcinkiewicz E12 (Vizzuti) for lead playing and I love it, HOWEVER my range on my Bach 3C is essentially the same. I use the Marcinkiewicz because i can play higher for longer periods and I don't have to work as hard. The trade off is that I don't have the typical warm sound that I have with my Bach (though I'm usually looking for bright and cutting when playing lead).

Build your chops on your everyday mouthpiece and your range will come...
bopinthenight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, your range should be about equal on most mouthpieces (the Heim being an exception). I play lead on a Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew 2, it has enough depth to it to keep it from being restrictive in the lower registers. I used to use it for jazz playing as well, and it will feel a lot like your Heim.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8: you say your current mpc "used to" work in the upper register, but doesn't any more? If this is the regression it sounds like, FIX THAT FIRST!! Switching mpcs will only make things worse.

On the other hand, when I was in 10th grade, the Directors of all the H.S. ensembles all picked the repertoire based on my range. Rehearsals weren't so bad as it was only 1 ensemble, but Concerts were KILLER, as all ensembles performed back to back. The advice given here against leaning on a "crutch" (or so-called cheater) mpc is sound and well-intentioned, but my lead mpc was a life-saver under those conditions.

Now go back and read the first paragraph again ...

Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: