• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp Teachers in SW Ohio?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Stamp Teachers in SW Ohio? Reply with quote

My knowledge of Stamp's method is from my teacher (with whom I am very satisfied), Stamp's book, Roy Poper's book, and TH. I'm interested in taking a few lessons from someone who studied with Stamp.

Does anyone here know of any former Stamp students who teach and who are based within a reasonable drive (<2 hours) of Cincinnati? Or is my best bet to try to set something up with Roy Poper? (Several events in my non-trumpet life conspired to make it infeasible to attend the Stamp workshop at Oberlin ... and ITG ... and the Aebersold workshops ... )
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go see Sachs in Cleveland! He's certainly a great artist with alot of his own ideas, but he did study with Stamp and much of what he does is influenced by those ideas. Plus, maybe you could catch a concert! I've heard the dude's pretty good!
j_walburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Sachs idea. I took a lesson with him a few years ago. Not only was he incredibly meticulous about everything we worked on, (I was preparing excerpts for an audition at the time) but he was extremely generous with his time...I ended up staying in his studio for almost two hours! While we didn't talk much about Stamp directly, I could tell his ideas and approaches to playing were deeply rooted in that method.
Edinburg, TX
j_walburn@yahoo.com
(217) 418-9411
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make it a two day affair. Sachs and the Cleveland Orchestra one day and Roy Poper the next. Both teachers will give you great insights into your playing (most likely with different areas of focus on various Stamp ideas) and Cleveland is going to be playing some fun rep. on the second half of the season...
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, Roy Poper is on the faculty at Orberlin. He's probably one of the foremost authorities on the Stamp Method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: