• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Stamp CD Reply with quote

I am making my own stamp play along cd. Im not a huge fan of the CD that comes with the new books so I thought I would make my own.

I am including the breathing exercises and everything with drones. What tempos does everyone use?

Here is what I usually do -

60 bpm for breathing

80 bpm for the lips and mouthpiece

80 bpm for #3

70 bpm for #4a

80 bpm for #4b

75 bpm for #5

100 bpm for #6

I just do these on my own and have never studied with anyone directly on the Stamp method, so these are just what I have been doing.

Here is my first attempt using the first breathing exercise:

http://www.jonathanstites.com/audio/breathing1.mp3

Any ideas or suggestions for tempos?
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan -
I applaud your efforts here. While I actually like the CD that comes with the book (for its purpose) the approach you are taking is probably going to be really useful too. More than one accompaniment CD would be good to provide variety.

As to tempos, those on the CD that comes with the book are based on Stamp's instructions to Thomas Stevens, and keep people working at the intended/proper tempo, so I would stick close to them. Before I got the CD I tended to play the exercises a bit on the slow side, and I now get better results from the exercises using the tempos of the CD. Having the tempo defined on a CD was better than me playing along on the piano.

I have both the Poper and Wiener books about Stamp's exercises, and I don't think there's any mention of specifc tempos in Poper's book. Wiener does, though. Beyond saying the exercises should be in strict time, he notes that the lips alone (page 5) is at eighth note ca. 132, with the fermata lasting three eigths. Number 3 starting at quarter ca. 100, plus tempos for exercises number 5, 6, 3a, 3b, etc. Both books have a lot of interesting information and are worth buying.

You might also want to PM janet842 if she doesn't post to this thread. She studied with Stamp and will have valuable insights. Her threads on "dissecting Stamp" are really great and should be required reading for those using the Stamp warm-ups and studies.

Best of luck with this project!
baroquetrumpetplayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to practice with the CD but I got tired of it after a while. I felt like a robot! lol
However, sometimes I go back to it just for ol time sake...
Hope you do well on your project though!
Rich Rulli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the CDs don't do justice to the concept of Stamp. I studied with Malcolm McNab for over 4 years and the CD approach is completely contrary to the concepts that Stamp conveyed to Malcolm over the years they were associated. Stamp intended for his exercises to be flexible to the player, but I don't think the CD/metronome strict tempo thing is beneficial. Malcolm encouraged me to flow from the beginning to end, but not rush anything. There is a fine line on this - too slow is not good because then they don't flow; too fast misses the important centering idea. I just think that a strict tempo dictated by a CD or metronome misses the point and forces the players hand artificially. Everyone's pace is different, and you want to be able to adjust while you play depending on how it is working that particular day. A Cd playing makes this impossible. My two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: