• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Buzzzzone-Question for Mr. Raymond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Reverb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Moderator! I was wondering if you had an opinion on the aforementioned Marcinkiewicz book. Or on the Bob Findley book for that matter. Since there isn't a whole lot of written text by Caruso, do you think these books are great supplements? They were students of Carmine Caruso after all.

This forum is awesome and thank you again Charles Raymond for moderating it. Pat Harbison, thank you also if you see this. I hang on every pertinent post you guys make concerning Caruso. Of any of the methods, Caruso cuts thru the crap and my playing improves weekly.

Charles, I saw your site and your tribute to Herb Alpert and the TJB. I think it's cool you do that stuff. I'd like to do something similiarly. When I was a kid, it was Herb Alpert who inspired me to start to play the trumpet. Granted, he was no monster and alot of people thought it was goofy stuff, but I loved it. Herb was and still is a player who is musical and I still love listening to him play. Like Miles said, you hear two notes and you know it's Herb Alpert. Rick Braun was also a Herb fan and grew up playing along with the TJB. You can hear the influence. (Braun=Caruso student). Even tho Chris Botti doesn't list Alpert as an influence, I think there was some.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxreverb,

I'm not familiar with the Marcinkiewicz book. The Bob Findley book I have and, according to Mr. Findley, the entire book is "undiluted" Caruso. There are many references in the book that ring very true to things I was told in my lessons. I especially like the references to air speed and dynamics. Other statements seem a little ambiguous to me. It might be interesting to discuss some of the ideas presented in the book. As far as the exercises go, if you have purchased the MCFB book, you can see right away that the Findley exercises are almost direct copies of the first ones in the Caruso book. And, of course, the MCFB goes way beyond what is offered in Mr. Findley's book. It is difficult for me to judge if the book would be a good supplement or not since I haven't found anything in it of essential value to me. But I studied directly with Mr. Caruso. Someone else may find the things discussed very useful and enlightening who hasn't had that privilege. To learn and develop a Caruso embouchure, all that is needed is the book, Musical Calisthenics For Brass. As you say, "Caruso cuts thru the crap ...."

Herb Alpert is absolutely one of the most influential and highly recognizable trumpet players of all time. Doing his material is a lot of fun and the response that I get has surprised even me. My last show was standing room only. The trumpet parts require flawless articulation and execution. Cuffed notes don't cut it with TJB! The other two brass players that work with me in the shows are definitely up to the task and a credit to the music.

I don't hear any Herb in Chris Botti, but I'll give him another listen.

Regards,

Charly
natchezz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charly,

Any chance of you posting some sample .mp3 files of your group playing TJB tunes on your site? I'd love to hear your take on it.

Your Harry James sound is fantastic!

Thanks.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will be putting some TJB sound clips on the trumpet page soon! Thanks for the comp on Harry.

Herb is muuuuuch easier to cop than Harry, and more fun since he was more in my era than Harry.

CR
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-11 11:37, natchezz wrote:
Charly,

Any chance of you posting some sample .mp3 files of your group playing TJB tunes on your site? I'd love to hear your take on it.

Your Harry James sound is fantastic!

Thanks.

OK, a couple of TJB clips are up. More to come. I'm right in the middle of the season and never have enough time in the day.
natchezz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are they located? I just looked with no luck finding them.

Thanks.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TJB clips, and many other things, are on the TRUMPET PAGE link.

http://charlyraymond.com/trumpetpg.html

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-02-14 12:06 ]
natchezz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sound on the TJB tunes, Charly!

I'm curious - do you use the same setup for your Harry James and TJB playing? Mind sharing what your setup is?

Thanks.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same set up for everything, from Harry James and Herb Alpert to Haydn and Gabrieli. Trumpet is a Yamaha YTR6310Z (which I guess is called the Bobby Shew model) and now I'm using a Northern Brass (GR) 63*** mouthpiece. The sound clips were done with a GR63*SR* which I switched to in September from a Parduba *5* after 13 years. I moved to the 63*** six weeks ago and will probably redo most files with the newer piece pretty soon. Or maybe leave a few for comparison.

I should add that I didn't like the embouchure I was using on the sound clips and have revamped it also over the last month or so. I like what I'm doing (and sounding like) now much better than before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: