• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James Austin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you heard of Jim Austin?
yes
42%
 42%  [ 26 ]
no
57%
 57%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 61

textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one_trumpet wrote:
thats fine, but you're still a coward.

Whatever !
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
Whatever!
one_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one-trumpet = trumpet playing wuss with no real chops .
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys...enough please. I'm sure you
wouldn't want the mods to get involved and
suspend your accounts, right?
Peace-
Dennis
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy veh gentlemen! It's extremely easy to find me, I always post my full contact info in marketplace ads, I've had dealings with tons of THers (big fish and small fry alike, if we're stuck on that level), and I'm a powerseller on ebay. What is the reason most of us don't put our contact info in our profiles anyway? I don't know why exactly, but it seems a little unsafe as far as ID theft possibilities go, so I've not done so yet.

HOWEVER, this misses the Elephant in the room. I'm a "nobody" in this discussion, just a casual observer who's bumping the thread. This is as compared to the chief critic, textr, who has been extremely vicious even for an internet forum (and no, the other side isn't innocent either). He/she remains anonymous while "heavies" and "little guys" alike are willing to lay their d--ks on the line for Mr. Austin. Sorry, the burden of proof is on the accuser, who appears to have initially claimed to never have attended UH, but now seems to have reversed his/her position. This isn't politics.

I'm sure you're a great player, textr. one_trumpet probably doesn't have any idea who he's messing with. It's time to let him know.

one_trumpet should probably respond, in a kind and gentlemanly fashion as well, with his ID, but the onus of action and responsibility is solely upon textr.
dasloan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look... I just want to get back to what/who this topic is about... Mr. Austin!!!

Everybody has a valid opinion whether we like it or not. The key to having rational debate is having both sides offered equally. I may not agree with textr, but he has been the only one so far to offer any voice of dissent and this kind of dissent is the stuff that makes the debate and debators grow. So can we not scare away any of Mr. Austin's critics and can we all (on both sides) be civil so we can discuss the legacy of this man in a rational manner.

Please?
Thanks
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b&e,

I'm happy to "lay my dick on the line" for Jim Austin. He's a great guy and, as I said in my original post, an inspiration. Count me amongst his many fans.

Best,
Ed Carroll
www.edwardcarrollmusic.com
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez...So now we have to bring tape measures to the next IGT Conference?

(Ed, I agree with you). Mine is on the line too for Mr. Austin).

one_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking since this jerk is so bitter and rude about the topic, i sincerely doubt he is some sort of heavyweight, especially since i live in texas and atleast know names of the people that do most of the freelancing in the major cities.

also, how dare you attack me when i have been playing defense of a great man and musician?

mr carroll, we very much appreciate your posts and artistry.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Oy veh gentlemen! It's extremely easy to find me, I always post my full contact info in marketplace ads, I've had dealings with tons of THers (big fish and small fry alike, if we're stuck on that level), and I'm a powerseller on ebay. What is the reason most of us don't put our contact info in our profiles anyway? I don't know why exactly, but it seems a little unsafe as far as ID theft possibilities go, so I've not done so yet.

HOWEVER, this misses the Elephant in the room. I'm a "nobody" in this discussion, just a casual observer who's bumping the thread. This is as compared to the chief critic, textr, who has been extremely vicious even for an internet forum (and no, the other side isn't innocent either). He/she remains anonymous while "heavies" and "little guys" alike are willing to lay their d--ks on the line for Mr. Austin. Sorry, the burden of proof is on the accuser, who appears to have initially claimed to never have attended UH, but now seems to have reversed his/her position. This isn't politics.

I'm sure you're a great player, textr. one_trumpet probably doesn't have any idea who he's messing with. It's time to let him know.

one_trumpet should probably respond, in a kind and gentlemanly fashion as well, with his ID, but the onus of action and responsibility is solely upon textr.

bike&ed,
you need to read more carefully , I never said that I did not attend UH(go back and read again). I said that I never studied with Austin. I also stated in a later post that I attended UH many years ago and was basing my remarks on the way things were at that time. I said in my OP that Mr.Austin was a good teacher for someone who had the goal of playing in an orchestra(how is that an insult to Austin). I also said that if a student was interested in being a strong commercial lead player then maybe Mr. Austin was not really the best teacher for that student(how is that an insult to Austin). I learned to play lead trumpet from a very fine lead player named Nelson Hatt (who is now deceased), he showed me the proper way to develop range, endurance, control, accuracy, intonation and phrasing, which are all part of being a fine commercial player and in addition to all of that he helped me get started working gigs which is really where you start to learn the craft of trumpet playing. So you see it really wasn't about sitting around blasting out high notes as hudson seems to think.
And furthermore, I never really insulted Mr. Austin, I just gave a viewpoint that is different and as dasloan pointed out there are others who share that same viewpoint.
one-trumpet can be offended all he wants to be (How, dare you sir(said with a decided southern drawl)....he kind of sounds like Colonel Sanders....is he wearing a white suit ?...is he a Kentucky Colonel?...)and he can insult me all he wants to BTW it really doesn't matter.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said you didn't attend UH, just said that that's what it seemed like from your posts. The wording of your earlier post created that impression, though you probably didn't intend it. Austin has been there practically forever, I suppose there was an adjunct/assistant at the time that you took from? Nice name-dropping about Mr. Hatt, he was a truly great one, and it was very sad to see him go. He could have been the Gozzo of this generation, as his lead playing was totally focused on sound and style, never on range. Glad you were able to learn from him, sure wish I could have.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bike&ed"]
Sorry, the burden of proof is on the accuser, who appears to have initially claimed to never have attended UH, but now seems to have reversed his/her position. This isn't politics

That is exactly what you said.
I never even gave the impression that I did not attend UH.
Don't back track now.

Last edited by textr on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not backtracking in any way. Your initial post clearly created the impression you never attended UH, given the layman's knowledge that Austin has been the prof there for years. Your subsequent post seemed to change that impression significantly. This is typically done in journalism to protect someone that the journalist likes, or would like to see elected to public office, and there was tons of this kind of writing in the recent campaign. I'm willing to accept that you didn't mean to create this image at all, but the image was nonetheless created. I have to be a very skeptical reader these days, as should we all.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Not backtracking in any way. Your initial post clearly created the impression you never attended UH, given the layman's knowledge that Austin has been the prof there for years. Your subsequent post seemed to change that impression significantly. This is typically done in journalism to protect someone that the journalist likes, or would like to see elected to public office, and there was tons of this kind of writing in the recent campaign. I'm willing to accept that you didn't mean to create this image at all, but the image was nonetheless created. I have to be a very skeptical reader these days, as should we all.

You have got to be kidding !
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...

Well, if we must continue to dwell in these nether climes...

1st quote:

textr wrote:
And I personally never was a student of Austin's , so you are on the wrong page there.

2nd quote:

textr wrote:
So I won't comment anymore except to say that it has obviously been many years since I attended UH and my remarks were based on the way things were at that time.

This should be pretty clear to most objective, uninvolved readers with a decent reading level and understanding of rhetoric. The context and delivery style make it even more distinct. It probably never entered textr's mind that the post would have been read this way. My guess is that, like in journalism, the writer may not see the impression that is so obviously being made initially, then responds incredulously when he/she seems to change the story and is called on it.
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Sigh...

Well, if we must continue to dwell in these nether climes...

1st quote:

textr wrote:
And I personally never was a student of Austin's , so you are on the wrong page there.

2nd quote:

textr wrote:
So I won't comment anymore except to say that it has obviously been many years since I attended UH and my remarks were based on the way things were at that time.

This should be pretty clear to most objective, uninvolved readers with a decent reading level and understanding of rhetoric. The context and delivery style make it even more distinct. It probably never entered textr's mind that the post would have been read this way. My guess is that, like in journalism, the writer may not see the impression that is so obviously being made initially, then responds incredulously when he/she seems to change the story and is called on it.

So... what leads you(in those quotes ) to perceive that I never attended UH ?
You can sigh all you want to , you are just reading something into this that wasn't there , maybe to suit your agenda. Maybe you are the one who is having trouble being objective. And maybe, just maybe, you are the one who is hijacking this thread, let's go back to discussing Mr. Austin. Are you a student of his ?
one_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad you can read a 'sir' that isnt there.... good job textr, good job.

again, who are you? you obviously arent playing in houston anymore.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, conspiracy theory time! I think we're done here, I sure am.

Maybe we are hijacking the thread with this banter, I'll respectfully bow out now. Far better players than I are chiming in with their praise for Jim Austin. Actually, I haven't said anything one way or the other, have I...?
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one_trumpet wrote:
we very much appreciate your posts and artistry.

One,

Jim took me under his wing at a very vulnerable time in my career (first job, 21 years old, hadn't yet completed my undergrad studies) and I'll never forget that.

It bothers me when people who have never sat next to a particular musician feel compelled to express a negative opinion about them anonymously. I remember a past thread, either here or on TM, in which the wannabe poster was shooting his/her mouth off about Phil Smith not being the same caliber of player and musician as Vacchiano. This brought to mind a very satisfying Warren Benson line regarding JFK in a vice presidential debate. . .

Best and I'll gracefully retire from this discussion now,
EC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: