• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler Trumpets Being Used Professionally?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Lawler Trumpets Being Used Professionally? Reply with quote

Does anyone know, if any working professionals, are actually using any Lawler trumpets, on a day to day basis? Seems like buyers, tend to be more on the amateur or hobbyist side. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Archie
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Printup...did.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, I do now recall, that a few years ago, Marcus Printup did play on a STS model Lawler.

Any others?

Archie
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archway wrote:
That's right, I do now recall, that a few years ago, Marcus Printup did play on a STS model Lawler.

Any others?

Archie
First CD he played the screw bell, then on the second, I believe he played the briefcase model, but not positive. I have them both (the cds not the horns) in the case... I'll look later. He was a Florida guy.... back when Roy was starting and located in Florida.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Lawler Pros Reply with quote

Charlie Bertini - 1st call freelancer Orlando, FL
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, im no Marcus Printup, but, ive been playing a Lawler TL for the last 3 years. Great horn.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-5-1 wrote:
Well, im no Marcus Printup, but, ive been playing a Lawler TL for the last 3 years. Great horn.

Me also , i play prof. and the last five years i use exclusive my Lawler TL5 /1A and is the best horn i ever have (among others Selmer 80J matt , Eterna copper bell LB , '67 Olds studio etc.)
As i remember the Cherry poppin daddys trumpet players use to play a Lawler before he gets a Bach endorsment.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs

Last edited by giakara on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Roy Lawler was based in Florida, a lot of the local pros played his horns. Disney had a lot of fine trumpet players in those days. Bobby Pickwood and Kevin Clark are two that I recall playing Lawlers. I had a couple myself, and although I believe those two are a notch above me, I was a full time pro for many years, now a retired part timer.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
2-5-1 wrote:

Me also , i play prof. and the last five years i use exclusive my Lawler TL5 /2 and is the best horn i ever have (among others Selmer 80J matt , Eterna copper bell LB , '67 Olds studio etc.)
As i remember the Cherry poppin daddys trumpet players use to play a Lawler before he gets a Bach endorsment.

Regards

That is absolutely true. It was Dana Heitman of the Cherry Poppin Daddies, on a '97 no-model-# Lawler Bb. I know 'cause I have it. (and like it a lot).
johnnyaloha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Pro Players on Lawlers Reply with quote

Do professional students count?

I know that John Almeida (trumpet professor at UCF) had a lawler before he became a yamaha artist.
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it appears, that so far of those mentioned, with the exception of a few players, several have moved on and are no longer playing Lawler horns?

I just think that it's interesting, that these horns seem to be fairly well thought of and custom hand made at fairly reasonable prices but don't seem to be seeping their way, out into the working or studio community, like you think they might.

Also, it seems like, there will be a new design introduced, that will get a lot of hype, on these forums but will quickly die away, untill the next one comes along. The model T, then the C7, which seemed to get the most coverage but more recently, the C7c, is getting talked up. But again, it's very inconsistent, with only an occasional, "call Roy, he'll make you a great horn" mentioned.

Any opinions, as to why Lawler trumpets, don't seem to be as popular, as one would think they would be?

Now, with that said, perhaps there are plenty of working pros out there, that we are just not aware of, at this point. Looking for any opinions.
Thanks!

Archie
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several working pros play Lawlers. PFC Graham E. Breedlove, Jazz chair in the Army Blues is playing a Lawler Ps1. There is a ton of Army owned Lawler trpts being used. The US Army Herald Trumpets used Lawler Bb heralds for many years. (They are currently using Kanstuls.) The last I heard the 2nd chair in the Indpls Symphony was using a Lawler C.

Actually, at the rate that we all seem to change horns (even pros), it would be difficult to keep track of who plays what brand on a current basis. I've seen the same thing in mpc endorsements. If you once played brand xxxx mpc then you are probably still listed on that manufactures site. Even if you haven't used the brand in years.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had heard that the Army had purchased a lot of C7's from Roy.

Concerning why working pros are only sparsely using Lawler trumpets I will offer this explanation. I have noticed that professionals tend to have their equipment needs "figured out;" meaning they use what works best for them, are reluctant to change, and are reluctant to explore. Plus, there may be a subtle peer pressure to play a particular horn. A friend's brother is a Vegas trumpet player, althought I heard that he just moved. He is a through-the-roof player and is still using the same Bach Strad that he had in college. His "9-to-5" is playing trumpet and his Strad brings home the bacon, so why change. For someone like me who plays as a hobby, exploring new horns and mouthpieces is all part of the fun.

I note that about 8-10 months ago I got a phone call from this same friend who told me a symphony player had left his flugelhorn in Chicago and needed borrow one. I made my Lawler available and my understanding was that it was more than adequate.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard makes a good point. For various reasons, money, time or tradition, many pros resist change as long as they can. Most of us know all too well, the time consumption and/or stress of a safari. It can be fun if you're not pressed to produce at the top level all the time while tweaking a horn. Additionally, for the guy who is just trying to put bread on the table, he tends to hang on to what has worked for him in the past. In fact, I've noticed many pros don't even take the time to have serviced the equipment that they make their living with. I don't understand that philosophy. But that's off the subject of who plays Lawlers.

During the years I was "hanging" with Roy, I can attest that there were many 2nd tier pros playing his horns. Not necessarily the LA or NYC studio guys that we all have heard about. The "commercial" type player usually doesn't take as much time picking out his/her equipment as the hobby/amateurs. The pros that come to Roy, for the most part, know what they want and when they find something that floats their boat they go with it, never to be heard from again. Except maybe a phone call to say how much they like the horn and working with Roy.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive noticed that the "pro" players are usually sponsored by a horn company. Hence the pros play what is given to them. Im sure if Roy were to contact the so called pros and give them a horn to endorse then you would see more of them playing his horns. It also seems that the "pros" play the freebies until the next great deal comes around. After the next deal, they only rave how good the new brand is.
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ironic side to the points made above is that amateurs or hobbyists really don't NEED a top exotic expensive horn. Their needs would be well met with any of the excellent student or intermediate trumpets out there.
Another exDisney player who played several Lawlers is the great Dave Trigg presently playing lead on Broadway's "Legally Blonde". Dave changed trumpets very frequently,though, to the point where we used to kid him about the "trumpet de jour".
The real truth in all this topic is that any professional trumpet player in the world would be able to do his job well on a Lawler of his choice, and many have and do.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something we must keep in mind about Mr. Lawler is that he runs a very small operation, with some wait time for a horn, but more importantly he is CERTAINLY NOT an evil robot.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point about pros vs amateur/hobby players is attitude regarding equipment change. The pro knows he won't solve playing problems solely with equipment changes, he mostly works on technique. The amateur shuffles through a stream of horns and mouthpieces, bottom caps and tuning slides, hoping to solve his playing problems when his real answer is the same as the pro's - practice, practice, practice.
That is not saying there is anything wrong with having lots of equipment and wanting more, sayeth a guilty party - me.
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points made thus far! Makes a lot of sense.

Archie
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
Another point about pros vs amateur/hobby players is attitude regarding equipment change. The pro knows he won't solve playing problems solely with equipment changes, he mostly works on technique. The amateur shuffles through a stream of horns and mouthpieces, bottom caps and tuning slides, hoping to solve his playing problems when his real answer is the same as the pro's - practice, practice, practice.
That is not saying there is anything wrong with having lots of equipment and wanting more, sayeth a guilty party - me.

Veery715. I could have done without that reminder.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: