• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

good CD's to improv with?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBrother

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a few recommendations of CD's that are good to improvise with. I've been playing along with Jamey Abersold's: How to Play Jazz and Improvise, Vol.1 and found it helpful. However I would like a little more variety and something more fun to play along with. Are there any jazz artists/CD's that you would recommend for this? Thanks!
cp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
First of all....there are about 100 or so Aebersolds to choose from other than volume 1. Some good ones to start on are: Maiden Voyage(vol 54), Minor Blues in all keys(vol 57), Horace Silver(vol 17).

As far as playing along with actual recordings, you probably don't need to look any further than your own collection. Something fun to do is play along with the head trying create a harmony on the spot. Then play along with who ever is soloing at the time (they won't mind! Try to play lines that complement the solo) Basically anything you use is great ear training...it really doesn't matter what it is! If you are itching to buy something, try one of Herbie Hancock's first albums (with Freddie Hubbard on trumpet). Or maybe Chet Baker or Miles. It all depends on what/who you like.

Whatever you do, don't buy a recording of Louis' "what a wonderful world" and release a recording of you playing along with it -- it's already been done!

Have fun....

[ This Message was edited by: cp on 2002-02-05 14:30 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Jamey A no doubt has the largest selection and variety of play-alongs going, there are a few others.

The Advance Music stuff is very good and offer several volums. Their CDs include example demos of each tune using folks like Randy Brecker, Jimmy Knepper, Joe Lovano, etc., followed by just rhythm section tracks without soloists.

Hal-Leonard also publishes several sets of play-along CD that feature modeled tunes (usually the heads only) followed by open space for the student improvisor.

There is also some choice play-along tunes taken from the Real Book featuring standards, fusion, and bebop that's quit good.

There is tons of this stuff available now. Most of the above and more is available on the Jamey Aebersold web site, except for the Hal-Leonard material (they have their own web page).
http://www.jazzbooks.com should get you there.
Larry Smithee
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Jamey Aebersold stuff - what key is it in? Do you need to transcribe to Bb before you can use any of it? I'm looking at picking up Maiden Voyage (Vol. 54) and Killer Joe (Vol. 70)...

Thanks.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Aebersold books I've seen have parts in different keys, so the alto and trumpet players don't have to work to hard-

ChopsMcgraw
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Jamey Aebersold Play-Alongs do provide the various keys to help us trumpeters et al. The aforementioned Maiden Voyage, Killer Joe, etc. are fine. 98 volumes to date is a lot of choices.
George Bouchard's "Intermediate Jazz Improv" (Jamey's site) and many more are excellent. Bouchard's book comes with 2 CD's.
Lately, I've been playing the horn to what pops up on TV/radio like BET on Jazz, Mama Jazz's local radio, etc.
The suggestions about picking what you like is great. The TV/radio might put you on the spot, but playing along with a stye ya' like may be more enjoyable. Miles? Dizzy? Chet?

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend some of these Aebersolds:

Volume 6 "All Bird"
Volume 7 "Miles Davis"
Volume 18 "Horace Silver"
Volume 8 "Sonny Rollins"

I would also recommend some Aebersolds that address standards, such as:

Volume 15 "Payin' Dues"
Volume 25 "All Time Standards"
Volume 44 "Autumn Leaves"

For practice purposes, volume 16 is a good tool.

I literally have almost every Aebersold, but when I use them, I use these the vast majority of the time.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've really been enjoying Aebersold's Vol. 97 called "Standards With Strings". It is just what the title implies; a piano/bass/drums trio plus a string section. the tunes are all great standards and the string charts are by Lennie Niehaus.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-02-06 21:22 ]
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-05 14:25, cp wrote

Whatever you do, don't buy a recording of Louis' "what a wonderful world" and release a recording of you playing along with it -- it's already been done!

Have fun....

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: cp on 2002-02-05 14:30 ]</font>
Bwahaha. Didn't think I would stop laughing. On a serious note I would recommend you check out some of the Hal Leonard stuff. I bought "American Song Classics". Very elemental. The music is elemental but it should be easy to improvise around the melody cues. It may be too easy for you however. After coming back after not playing in years it was just right for me however.

Tim
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aebersold's Lush Life and Billy Strayhorn are my fav's. I have the "Burnin' Aebersold and whoa nellie, those tunes are fast. I do find though that after 1 hour of ballad playing, it helps with those tunes where the tempo is 300+. I have found that playing really fast is almost exactly like playing a ballad! strange, but true, lets see what we can do!
I like to play the ballads as a part of my "chicago school" warm up. it is a great way to warm up musically and for tone development. Lush Life is great because of all of the key centres that it moves thru. the tune also plays from a low Bb and goes to the F above middle c with lots of Db's and Eb's to get the third slide workin! I warm up on Lush Life and Chelsea Bridge everyday!!
I actually own all of the aebersolds, but these two are my favs. I have memorized a tone of tunes and I also like the rythm changes in all keys. I love goin to the jam session locally here and calling rythm in Eb or D!!
I find the tonal colour of the diff keys makes me approach the music in a different way, according to what key we are in. It also helps the sax player to reduce the number of choruses he takes and the number of notes that he plays!! <LOL>
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received Band-in-a-Box 11 from pg music and I love it. It's 88 bucks but it comes with a program that slows down licks so you can transcribe them easier and a few other programs. Anyway, if you want all the info on it go to their website, http://www.pgmusic.com. In a nutshell Bib is an easy to learn program where you type in chords and select a style and, boom, it automatically generates a rhythm section to play along with you. There are tons of other features as well. You can add backgrounds, create melodies, or generate solos in the style of famous soloists (like Louis, Miles, Freddie and Charlie Parker). Just put in some chords, crank up the speakers, and have at it. I'd say it’s a great investment for anyone who's really into improv. It’s not limited to jazz either. You can select from pop styles and classical styles and waltzes and tons of others, it's very versatile. It’s a nice alternative to abersold’s if you want to practice a lot of different styles, tempos, and chords.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: