• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone play a ML72* with a 43 pipe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone play a ML72* with a 43 pipe? Reply with quote

I got the chance to play a new Bach Strad today that really peaked my interest. It was a 72* with a 43 leadpipe and ML bore. I was wondering if anyone is using this setup and if so could they share their opinions on it.
nickpasternack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a bach fan by any stretch of the imagination. I find most strads to be very vanilla, but im usually more of a fan of horns with little quirks. I have played some older bach horns (new york era) and i thoroughly enjoyed those. That said, the newer bachs were a let down for me. Its a solid "best friend" type of horn imho. Just my opinion. theres loads of interesting horns out there.
abh535s
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a common bell for lead and commercial players. It probably wouldn't have the breadth for orchestral work, but it has probably been done. In my opinion, that would be one of the best commercial horns available.
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very popular configuration -- blows completely differently than a Bach 37. Great for big band and lead playing. I believe Wayne Bergeron played one prior to development of his Kanstul horn and then the later Yamaha LA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played mine last night at rehearsal and got some compliments over my usual 8310Z. Ain't giving up on the Shewdog, but it's in the rotation.

I disagree with a previous poster saying that this is just a commercial/lead setup. Pop on a 1 1/2C or so and you have a big ol' sound. But it is ideal for big band.

Ed
www.myspace.com/jazzlips
BigMark65
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Bach 72* / 43 Reply with quote

That's the model Al Vizzutti used years ago - prior to his work with yamaha. The first record he did (the one with Skyrocket on it) he played that horn.

Schilke B3 gold
Courtois Flugel
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Elkhart ML 72* with a 43 leadpipe. Also an Elkhart 25 Large Bore, a Mt. Vernon ML 43 and a Mt. Vernon ML 37. From darkest sound to brightest sound the order is 72*, 37, 43, 25. My mouthpiece is a Reeves Dynamic Mass 43D.

To me the 72* and 37 are more section horns and the 43 and 25 are more lead horns. That being said, the 72* with the 43 leadpipe gets a big dark sound and the slotting is exceptionally solid for me, more so than with my other Bachs. It's a fine horn and it doesn't surprise me that Vizzutti played this model.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Commercial favorite Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a 72* with a 43 leadpipe and ML bore. I was wondering if anyone is using this setup and if so could they share their opinions on it.

The ML 43/72* setup was very popular in NYC in the 70s, and is still a well regarded combo. It's a very versatile horn, great for lead, shows, and all around playing. For a while there, the favored setup was this combo with a tuning bell conversion.

Another variation that's also very nice (I actually prefer it) is the ML 72* bell, with a 25-O pipe. the 25-O pipe is a standard Bach pipe now, slightly more open venturi than a standard 25 pipe but, as described to me, it is more of a straight taper where the 43 pipe expands out more quickly in the middle of the pipe.

Finding an older 72* in nice shape is not as easy as finding a nice older 37, perhaps because the lightweight horn doesn't hold up as well over time. I have one in nice original shape, SN 75K range, and it's a keeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: