• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Buzzing Difficulties

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Lip Buzzing Difficulties Reply with quote

I am having trouble with starting on Low C, between the staves. Did Stamp specify using the exact embouchure for buzzing and playing?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having the problem with the lips, the mouthpiece, the horn or all three?
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for not responding much earlier. I just started using the Stamp Warm up book and I just find it easier to play/lip and mouthpiece buzz the first thing in the day, notes higher than our low C. Now I'm trying to keep an embouchure as close at my playing one, while lip buzzing. I also like to use a mouthpiece visualizer to help simulate this. Does this all sound normal?
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want to buzz the same way that you play otherwise you are not really working the same muscles.

I reccommend you check out bbtrumpet.com and check out the buzzing videos that were just posted.

Pops is the guy that I learned how to buzz from and he does post on here too. You may see some of his posts under the topic of lip buzzing here on trumpetherald too. Maybe they will help.
mdavis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to offer a different opinion. Don't worry about the position that your lips take when you are free buzzing. The most important thing to do is listen to the buzz you are creating. It should be a very soft easy buzz with lots of fuzz in the sound. If the buzz is very pronounced than you are probably too tight in the middle. Try to keep your corners firm but the center of the lip where the aperture is, loose.

When you go to the mouthpiece, try to achieve the same sound, a nice soft fuzzy buzz. Do not play too loudly on the mouthpiece. Once again, if the sound is very pronounced and focused, you are too tight.

Once thing you should find is that as you add more metal to the face, you lips should become looser. Do not keep the same lip tension from free buzzing to mouthpiece buzzing to trumpet.
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A major element in Jimmy Stamp’s teaching involved mouthpiece playing.

Not free buzzing. Mario Guarneri has developed B.E-R.P to help mp-

playing after Jimmy¨s ideas.

Kind Regards Jouko Moilanen
Helsinki, Finlad
mdavis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the first few pages of the Stamp book. There is a preliminary warm ups page that discusses free buzzing.
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem may be that you don't now play with an open, relaxed embouchure -- which is what Jimmy's method teaches.

You would be better off to try to put aside your previous concept of embouchure position in favor of making whatever embouchure modifications it takes to buzz the notes in the free buzz warm up drill. Then, carry that embouchure over to the mouthpiece buzz as closely as you can. From there, transition that embouchure to the trumpet for the rest of the warm up exercises.

Jimmy's method teaches players to use one embouchure for the entire range -- from pedal notes to well above high C. There is no changing for different octaves -- that's why it's very important to be able to produce a free buzz that covers both low and high notes.

If an open embouchure doesn't work for you, the entire Stamp method just may not be the right one for you. However, a tremendous amount of benefit can still be gained by learning to play the on-trumpet part of the warm up correctly.

Janet
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
mdavis wrote "Read the first few pages of the Stamp book. There is a preliminary warm ups page that discusses free buzzing."

Read my post.

I wrote " A major ..."

As Allen Wizzutti says " these three words buzz your lips

are the most etc..."

Kind Regards Jouko Moilanen

Helsinki, Finland
Ekim Gram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Stamp method for about a year now mainly for the w/ trumpet and w/ mouthpiece stuff (especially pedals.) I've always had a problem with the free lip buzz and my own professor said to disregard it if you can't do it.

I'm just wondering, has anybody actually found any benefit to practicing the free lip buzz? Using Stamp in general with the horn and mouthpiece has proven to be very beneficial to me yet the free lip buzzing just never clicked...
Tomaso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ekim Gram wrote:
I'm just wondering, has anybody actually found any benefit to practicing the free lip buzz?

I had similar feeling for a long time... But I think it was when i tried to overdo the exercises and changed my embouchure in order to "hit the notes". But since I've focused on not changing the embouchure and getting a nice "open" buzz I see a benefit: It actually helps me avoid tightening the center of the mouth while playing high. Since I do not any isometric before playing, free buzzing warms up my corners and give me a "firm corners" attitude before mouthpiece and trumpet practice.

It' s only my personal feeling, I'm definitely not an expert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: