• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp book?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzmanGIANT
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Stamp book? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a trumpet player...obviously . As a junior in high school, I have been investigating colleges and trumpet requirements. EVERY trumpet studio I have found requires Stamp warmups as a freshman-senior book. Every single one. I believe that I am a fairly advanced trumpet player with a lot to work on. I just recently made IA allstate band, but I still believe I can do more. Now that auditions are over I really want to get down to playing MUSIC, not boring audition material. My question is, is the Stamp book a Musical approach to helping me with 1. tone quality 2. articulation 3. endurance and 4. Warming up? I feel that one thing I lack is a good structured warmup, and sometimes I go forever without feeling ready to play music. Will Stamp help me?
Bach Strad 1973
Olds Ambassador 1963
Laskey 65MC
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp book? Reply with quote

JazzmanGIANT wrote:
My question is, is the Stamp book a Musical approach to helping me with 1. tone quality 2. articulation 3. endurance and 4. Warming up? I feel that one thing I lack is a good structured warmup, and sometimes I go forever without feeling ready to play music. Will Stamp help me?

The Stamp approach helped me with all of these. Having a teacher who understands the concepts really helps ... you should discuss this with your teacher. If I hadn't had a guide, I'm not sure that I would have understood the approach.

I don't do the full "warm up" but there are Stamp elements in my daily routine. I highly recommend it.
sparxIV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: mp drills Reply with quote

I too am a big Stamp fan

....... More mp. drills can be found on TH ... Stamp forum under 'Merry Christmas' Mp drills by Mr. B. Hood of the LA Phil.

Cheers,
Ted
www.sparxmusic.com
mdavis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big misconception that I see is that most people think that the Stamp book is only about warming up. The book, even though it is not that large, deals with all aspects of trumpet playing. The book gives the student the basic routines, but Stamp expected that his students would be transposing them into all keys. Practice with a metronome and slowly.

Get with a teacher who really understands the stamp method. Also pick up Roy's book, it is great. Keep in mind that Stamp is not only about warming up. Try applying the Stamp concepts to your etudes, solos and band lit.
mdavis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzmanGIANT,

One last thing, if you are really interested in developing your skills through the Stamp method, Roy Poper and Arto Hoornweg hold a trumpet workshop that focuses on the Stamp method. The trumpet workshop is call the Oberlin Trumpet Workshop and is held at Oberlin Conservatory where Roy teaches. You can find info on the camp on the Oberlin Conservatory website. I highly recommend it to anyone at any level of playing ability.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stamp book? Reply with quote

JazzmanGIANT wrote:
Now that auditions are over I really want to get down to playing MUSIC, not boring audition material.

You've got lots of good feedback about Stamp already, so I've nothing to add to that - I just wanted to quickly touch on this statement.

Granted, some exercises and pieces are more inspiring than others, but I'd like to caution you against letting this kind of sentiment go too far. We play an instrument where (for the huge majority of players, anyway) you have to do quite a lot of daily maintenance just to be able to play. You'll probably never leave your flexibility, sound, or articulation exercises behind (at least, not without suffering!), so it's definitely worth trying to find things in them that you like.

The better your control of the "boring stuff", the more music you're going to be able to make with the fun stuff.

My advice is: make music of the routine stuff! It'll stand you in good stead when college auditions roll around.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp book is great. It will work all aspects of your playing and you will hear the results within the 1st week. Also check out the Adam Rapa videos on Youtube. They are also very important and Stamp like in someways and will work mouthpiece things and bends as well as staying relaxed.
MrV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tag for viewing Youtube videos
Adam Vanderbush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp book is great. I do the mouthpiece buzzing, warm ups, and diminished arpeggios every day. If you get the latest book, make sure you throw the CD away, it is practically the exact opposite of what James intended. Find a teacher who really understands the book so it will facilitate growth.
phawkins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach to Stamp is James Thompson's Buzzing Basics. I find the book more helpful in its descriptions of how to perform the exercises correctly without hurting yourself in the long run.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Vanderbush wrote:
The Stamp book is great. I do the mouthpiece buzzing, warm ups, and diminished arpeggios every day. If you get the latest book, make sure you throw the CD away, it is practically the exact opposite of what James intended. Find a teacher who really understands the book so it will facilitate growth.

Then why would they have published the book with the cd's? There had to be a reason...
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. My book didn't come with the CD, so if anyone is going to throw their CD away, send it to me instead. I studied with Jimmy for a few years and would like listen to the CD to see if Adam's allegations are true. You can certainly "understand" the book and still be very far from understanding what Jimmy meant to teach.

Thanks,

Janet
mdavis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CD's and do not like them too much. I much prefer to be sitting at a piano and buzzing along with that. For me it is a very introspective part of my morning, gets me ready for the day.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet842 wrote:
Hmmm. My book didn't come with the CD, so if anyone is going to throw their CD away, send it to me instead. I studied with Jimmy for a few years and would like listen to the CD to see if Adam's allegations are true. You can certainly "understand" the book and still be very far from understanding what Jimmy meant to teach.

Thanks,

Janet

I can copy mine if you like.

What was it like studying with Stamp and also Mario Guaneri. I use te BERP everyday for a few minutes. I heard that these 2 methods go hand in hand in a way. I'd to find out more. Thanks.
poprishchin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will play real MUSIC in school, and when you have problems executing your musical ideas because the trumpet is getting in the way, you can address the problem via stamp and other etudes.

The Stamp book is excellent for warming up, and as mcdtrpt said, its great for ALL of your practicing.

(Also, just because a school requires a book doesn't mean that you'll use only that one book!)

mcdtrpt also mentioned that you should buy "Roy's Book" but didn't specify which book he meant.

Its this one:
http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/BQ-18.htm

And I agree, its invaluable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: