• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marketplace....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLCHOPS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Marketplace.... Reply with quote

It amazes me how some people try to sell horns in the marketplace with dents that are really cheap to fix as well as tarnished... Wrights Silver Polish - $3.99.... If you invest $20-$40 in the dent removal and a few bucks on polish + 1 hour on the finish you'd be amazed how fast you'd sell ur horns!

Why would somebody want to buy a horn they have to clean and fix???

Stunned!

https://soundcloud.com/tony-gambaro
Schilke S42 - 50th Anniversary
Greg Black Mouthpieces 12 S
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Marketplace.... Reply with quote

ALLCHOPS wrote:
It amazes me how some people try to sell horns in the marketplace with dents that are really cheap to fix as well as tarnished... Wrights Silver Polish - $3.99.... If you invest $20-$40 in the dent removal and a few bucks on polish + 1 hour on the finish you'd be amazed how fast you'd sell ur horns!

Stunned!

Hi, AllChops,

Maybe the person has a fixation for repairing and cleaning their toys.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Marketplace.... Reply with quote

ALLCHOPS wrote:

Stunned!

Personally, if a horn is dented, I would prefer it be fixed by MY tech than someone else.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
atsfjohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had enough instruments hogged up by inconsiderate, sloppy technicians in the past, who left scratches and gouges on what previously were very clean instruments, such that I avoid having any professional servicing done to my horns unless absolutely necessary. Also, if the horn plays great, I try not to mess with it other than to clean it, and as the previous poster said, many buyers might rather have their technician remove any dents than mine.

Not everyone treats your horn as if it was their own.

John
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I buy, I really don't expect to receive a completely serviced, undented and polished trumpet (although that is exactly how I prefer to sell my instruments), but it always surprises me to see how extremely filthy most instruments are sold. I generally take that as a huge lack of respect.....

Honest information in the ad and a clean instrument is all I ask for.

MvW.
xtyrantx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

It makes me worry that the horn hasn't been taken care of to begin with... Not that it makes up for garbage maintenance, but it's much smarter to sell a cleaner horn...
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, even a bit anal, IMO, are the pics where all the slides and pistons are removed.

DUHHHHH... WTF's with that?

Any idiot could take the thing apart and put it back together, it doesn't mean they work smoothly, or even at all.
saxophyte

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERY TIME I SELL A HORN . SOMEONE ALWAYS ASKS FOR A PIC WITH THE VALVES AND SLIDES REMOVED
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be the first instrument with the slides stuck posing a "mint" instrument too good to pass up. What one considers little damage may be perceived by another as "considerable" damage.

It wouldn't be the first instrument sold with valves "dented or damaged" on the inside leaving gaps for air to leak and so forth. Some slides haven't been moved in years and would require a tech to remove.

Would you buy a horn without looking at the slides removed for your viewing?

There may other good reasons and I suspect others will enlighten you.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EVERY TIME I SELL A HORN . SOMEONE ALWAYS ASKS FOR A PIC WITH THE VALVES AND SLIDES REMOVED
WELL, THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE A SAXOPHYTE, NOT A TRUMPETOPHYTE.

Quote:
It wouldn't be the first instrument with the slides stuck posing a "mint" instrument too good to pass up. What one considers little damage may be perceived by another as "considerable" damage.

It wouldn't be the first instrument sold with valves "dented or damaged" on the inside leaving gaps for air to leak and so forth. Some slides haven't been moved in years and would require a tech to remove.

Would you buy a horn without looking at the slides removed for your viewing?

There may other good reasons and I suspect others will enlighten you.
Got to tell you, man, the number one reason I'd buy most horns from eBay is because of the price... Let's see, now, invest a grand or so in a horn that may or may not suit your needs, but do it anyway, usually with no option to return it if it doesn't fill the bill??? Pics are BS, the only way to know the quality of what you're buying on eBay is have faith. If it's what I think I want and the price is right, meaning lower than I'd probably pay for something in a real shop where I could try it out, I'll worry about paying my tech a couple of bucks to free up a stuck slide. As for the valves, any idiot with a dowel could pound them out for a picture, and a pic SAH won't show whether or not they leak. Truth be told, I've never made what I consider a bad deal buying anything on eBay or selling horns here. I hope everyone says the same about my dealings with them. The pics are just a convenience, I quit taking them when it was obvious I was sending them out to people who had no intentions of buying what I was selling most of the time. What do they do, put those pics up on the wall and close the door or something? Weird...
brokennoterepairs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Marketplace.... Reply with quote

ALLCHOPS wrote:

Stunned!

Use the defects to your advantage if you think you may be interested in the horn - as you said, $3.99 for some silver polish, $20-$40 for dent removal....and I bet you might get someone to knock $100.00 off the price of a horn due to a few relatively minor dents and tarnish. There are alot of people out there who are trying to sell horns that have no idea what it costs to fix them. Use your knowledge against them....it's capitalism, and it's what makes the world go 'round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: