• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece change in middle of piece by Alison Balsom?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion I don't think that she changed mouthpieces. Not after the preceding lick and right before the next one. There would be no reason at that point and it would be asking for trouble to readjust. Nothing changed with her timbre, resonance, or articulations after that either.

Plus think about where she would have to pull that mouthpiece out of and get it in the horn, put the other one somewhere still wipe her mouth and mouthpiece before that like we saw, and then get set.

I don't think she switched, nor would I care if she did.
jhaefele

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Yeah, but still... Reply with quote

I recognize the importance of "playing the right equipment for the job", but it seems to me that, if you're playing the piece, you should be able to make it through without a switch in the middle.

The only time I switch during an orchestral set is when I'm outta shape and am having trouble with endurance. Then I'll switch just to give my embouchure a fresh feel for a few minutes, then it's back to my regular piece.

I realize there are pros out there who may do this regularly. It just seems a little like cheating to me.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did not change mpcs. Just a quick wipe off.

Move on people, nothing here to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRoyal wrote:
perspective wrote:
Even more interesting. Have a listen around 4:37 4:38. I've played it over several times and, lest my ears deceive me, that trumpet is still sounding AFTER she removes it from her lips.

If its down to echo (and there probably is one in a room like that) it doesn't seem to be having the same effect on the piano. Maybe that particular note hit a standing wave resonance for that room which carried it over for some time. Weird !

I doubt that the rise and fall of her eyebrows has got much to do with it but, there is, I note, some movement going on in her throat. What does that indicate ? Tongue operation ? Anyway, definately a 'flat chinner'.

Has any one considered the possibility that she recorded what we are hearing in the studio?

I think this is more a quirk of YouTube. Seems like a lot of YouTube vids have the video and audio out of synch (might be more a product of computer, browser, video drivers, etc.). I guess I'd go there before I conclude there's multi-take studio dub-overs in the audio.
Tal Katz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice the camera man changing clothes at one point of the video?
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not email her and ask, i you are really puzzled?

dj
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
why not email her and ask, i you are really puzzled?

dj

Not a big deal. I originally posted this when we were all discussing switching mouthpieces during any one performance, and I remarked how Bobby Shew did this in a youtube video when he played with a Las Vegas band.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
RBtrumpet08
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece still in trumpet, hands proceeded to wiping mouth.

Yup, I can certainly see how you thought she changed mouthpieces, but when I stopped it on that frame, I was positive she only wiped the mouthpiece and her lips.
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: mouthpiece change in middle of piece by Alison Balsom? Reply with quote

During performance Alison Balsom wipes her lips and mouthpiece very frequently, much more so than is typical.

Regards
Jim
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah, but still... Reply with quote

jhaefele wrote:
I recognize the importance of "playing the right equipment for the job", but it seems to me that, if you're playing the piece, you should be able to make it through without a switch in the middle.

The only time I switch during an orchestral set is when I'm outta shape and am having trouble with endurance. Then I'll switch just to give my embouchure a fresh feel for a few minutes, then it's back to my regular piece.

I realize there are pros out there who may do this regularly. It just seems a little like cheating to me.

I'd like to, respectfully, ask if you could clarify what you mean by cheating, in this context? As I understand it, cheating happens when you break established rules, and the only rule I'm aware of in solo playing is this: make music. She clearly makes music - what does it matter what's on the end of her trumpet?
jrtrp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this video. Enesco's Legend is one of my favorite pieces and Alison sounds and looks great as always. If you want to see effortless playing you should also check her at piccolo! Probably the most beautiful playing I've heard in my life. Hardenberger comes a close second. There's just something magical in Scherzer piccolos don't you think?
Alfbase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
Two more - Lew Soloff.

And a few more: Always use the right tool for you for the job you're doing.

On youtube you can find a video of Bobby Shew that changes
the mouthpiece for only a few bars.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On certain shows ("Cats", "West Side Story") I used several mouthpieces to get the sound I wanted for certain parts of the shows. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I always stuck with the same size and shape rim so the change in feel wasn't drastic.

But, Ms. Balsom didn't switch mouthpieces on this video - if you freeze frame it at the exact right frame, you can see mouthpiece is still in the horn. She's just wiping off some excess saliva. And even if she did switch, (which she didn't), so what? She's a FANTASTIC player. My opinion of her could be a bit influenced by the fact that looks-wise, she reminds me of my wife, but seriously, she is a great trumpet player.

I'm impressed, and I rarely am.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros use mouthpieces as tools...amatures use them as crutches....pros use the right tool for the job.
ejohnson91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I believe she's just wiping it off..beautiful playing
tptplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
Pros use mouthpieces as tools...amatures use them as crutches....pros use the right tool for the job.

well said, thanks.
Trumpeter Swan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Smith came to South Dakota to solo with our symphony orchestra. He changed mouthpieces a few times, and just for a few high notes.

Alfbase wrote:
EdMann wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
Two more - Lew Soloff.

And a few more: Always use the right tool for you for the job you're doing.

On youtube you can find a video of Bobby Shew that changes
the mouthpiece for only a few bars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: