• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Buzzer, angle, placement, etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babb9520
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Brass Buzzer, angle, placement, etc. Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been addressed before on this forum but i decided to ask just in case:

Does anyone get the feeling that using a buzzing device like a Brass Buzzer or Berp, tends to change the natural angle and or placement of the mouthpiece on your lips? I know most of you guys probably don't use it for Stamp, though I do Buzzing Basics and have used one for over 3 years. I have experimented lately with just using my left hand (Stamp style), and I have noticed that my angle might be a little lower now than it used to be. Consequently, buzzing is different; not necessarily easier, just different I guess.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

-Charlie
Cafe du Monde
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used either a BERP or Brass Buzzer for a couple years now and have a harder time buzzing without it. Without one of those aids I tend to apply more pressure than I would normally use during actually playing. Also, without an aid I tend to place the mouthpiece lower on my lips in order to get a buzz started and to sustain it.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the BERP with Thompson's Buzzing Book and find the mouthpiece angle and the embouchure are somewhat different than when just using the mouthpiece. The BERP seems to help control the angle, position and pressure to match playing the horn. I strongly recomend one of these devices for buzzing.
Babb9520
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thomasstevensmusic.com/quotablesPage.php?Stamp-s-Angle-7

This article is interesting in the he mentions the change in instrument to be affecting the horn angle. It is also interesting in that he advocates using a BERP.

Thompson (I study with him), uses a BrassBuzzer and places it on the top side of his receiver. I see this as possibly causing one to keep a higher horn angle than natural (of course Thompson doesn't and he sounds fabulous!). I have also experimented with using it on the side and I think that this works a bit better for me (this is the way people usually set up the BERP).

I just get the idea that it could be quite easy to hold the horn the way you normally do and end up forcing the mouthpiece up.

Just some thoughts, and thanks for the replies!

-Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: