• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

more "ou" shape

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: more "ou" shape Reply with quote

Been Stamping for several years since first studying with Roy Poper for a year in grad. school. Although my playing is going very well, every time I pop in to play for Roy he wants me to play with more "ou" shape to the bottom lip. Any suggestions for building this into a better habit? Is it just a matter of me paying more attention to this detail?
mdavis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thoughts. Since graduating from Oberlin in 2004 I go back every year and hear similar things. For awhile I thought about the shape and what it feels like. Which did not always work. What seems to work better for me is I think about the word ou. This seems to get the shape to happen a bit better. I hope this sort of helps.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify? Is that "ou" as in the word "out," or as in the word "you," or even something else? Thanks.
trumpetrich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt ou as in you is what Roy is asking for.

Mike,
Thanks for the clarification and simplification. It is easy to start over-controlling the musculature in an effort to "do it right" and end up tight and inflexible.
mattdalton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, trumpetrich. That would have been my guess but I did not want to assume anything. This is also a good reminder that I should probably read the text of my Poper book again. Have a good day.
Haustrmpt1392

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher studied with Roy when he was down at OSU for a time and now I'm hoping to go to Oberlin next year. I even took a lesson with Roy a few weeks ago and he told me the same thing, aside from blowing lazy air. But if you ever looked at his lips when he plays you can see what he's talking about, that guy is so far forward I can't understand how he does it. My teacher told me one of Mr. Poper's explanations was to think of your lips like two cloth bags, one inside of the other, and both have a draw string at the top. The outside bag closes in and stays there, while the inside bag can open or close slightly. Basically what he's saying is that your outside muscles around your lips should flex forward into the mouthpiece and just stay there, holding your lips in the "ou" position, while the inner part of your lips, the part that's making the vibration, is flexible and can move in minuscule amounts. That really helped me when I was having trouble the past couple of weeks/months as my braces have been slowly coming off in stages and I got my tonsils out. Hope it helps
--Marty A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: