• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to make angry neighbors your ally for practicing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the word out that I was a mafia drug dealer.

It actually worked.

None of my neighbours speak to me and they cross to the other side of the road when they are walking past.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Arpeggio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question for those of us without personal studios

The practice mute option is always there but is so-so at best. I've used the Silent Brass system, Trumcor Lyric Stealth mute, and the ssssshhhhhMute. All create noticeable back-pressure, in my opinion. I would guess that the back-pressure problem will never be solved with any conventional practice mute since they work by stuffing up your horn. I believe the many varieties of practice mutes available have been discussed on several earlier TH threads.

One simple technique that seems to help me a lot is to play into a closet full of hanging clothing. I open the door, stand or draw up a chair, and play away into the shirts, pants, coats, etc. If you have a walk-in closet (I don't), I would guess it would be more convenient. It's kind of like having your own personal acoustically-insulated sound chamber. Seems to work pretty well at deadening the sound -- all in all, at least as well as the practice mutes and possibly better. I haven't seen the neighborhood dogs and cats scampering for cover since I began using this . . . but maybe that's just because they all ran away earlier.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
To keep neighbors happier I practice melodic things and keep scales, long tones, and "out" jazz stuff to a minimum. It's challanging enough.

I think of Bud Herseth's saying, "...never practice. Always PERFORM".

Precisely. When I practice (in a tiny apartment) I make an effort to make *everything* I play music. Even long tones and scales and flexibilities. And I always finish with actually playing tunes and melodies.

I have, in 19 years in this apartment, never had a complaint, and have had several compliments and several gigs come out of my sessions.

Of course, even in summer I close the doors and windows.
Bach Baby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Hey There World Reply with quote

We have a 9pm ordinace in my hood...I am lucky, because my garage is the Shed hall...I did however, live in an apartment complex, and many years later as I was leaving, I was told about songs I played....I so want to re-record April In Paris, so I played that song everyday, 100 diffirent ways, and as I left the building, they all sang it to me....It was a good thing....We all know when we are intruding on others space, so just know when and where to shed....I like no one around when I figure out new stuff.......I save it for the audience.....
Bach Strad 180S Mod #37 ML
Motto: Shut UP & PLAY !!!!!
Style: MELLOW MADNESS
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live on a public street so I just threaten to park my old cars in front of their house if they get out of line.
Drizzt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have the windows closed, and I dont play late... much. Theres always the occaisional midnight trumpet urge.

Schilke 13C4
pipedope
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbors?
My closest neighbors are a quarter mile away.

If they don't have a problem with the bulldozer or chainsaw I doubt there will be any problem with trumpet.
Eggtracy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drizzt wrote:
Theres always the occaisional midnight trumpet urge.
That's every night for me. My biggest challenge is complaints from my family, or keeping them up. I'm glad I have a practice mute, but I try not to play with it too much.

H.N. White Liberty Bb/A Trumpet
F.E. Olds Special Bb Trumpet
Wedge/Bach 7C
Wedge/Curry 1.25C
King 602 Bb Cornet
King Master Bb Cornet
Curry 1.25VC
Airport Bum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arpeggio wrote:
Tough question for those of us without personal studios

The practice mute option is always there but is so-so at best. I've used the Silent Brass system, Trumcor Lyric Stealth mute, and the ssssshhhhhMute. All create noticeable back-pressure, in my opinion. I would guess that the back-pressure problem will never be solved with any conventional practice mute since they work by stuffing up your horn. I believe the many varieties of practice mutes available have been discussed on several earlier TH threads.

One simple technique that seems to help me a lot is to play into a closet full of hanging clothing. I open the door, stand or draw up a chair, and play away into the shirts, pants, coats, etc. If you have a walk-in closet (I don't), I would guess it would be more convenient. It's kind of like having your own personal acoustically-insulated sound chamber. Seems to work pretty well at deadening the sound -- all in all, at least as well as the practice mutes and possibly better. I haven't seen the neighborhood dogs and cats scampering for cover since I began using this . . . but maybe that's just because they all ran away earlier.

I tried the closet studio thing. I put a chair and music stand in there and closed the door. Worked ok but got pretty stuffy and hot in there. So I bought a Yamaha Silent Mute. Yes, there is a little back pressure but it's worth it to keep the peace.
Arpeggio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest leaving the door open when you try the closet thing! Too toasty otherwise, especially in these summer months.

My other half insists that she can't hear me beyond the next room when I play into the hanging clothes with the closet door open. The biggest problem is getting used to the fact that I'm playing for Dockers and a few Arrows No applause. No encores. Well, no pressure, either!

I enjoy this more than the various alternatives just because I'm so happy to not have to fight back-pressure of the various practice mutes I've accumulated.
TimTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in an apartment? If not, I don't think neighbors are really a problem... practice inside your house with your front door shut.
pipedope
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nearest neighbor is more than a quarter mile away.
With lots of trees too.

Besides, trumpet music is a nice change from chainsaws and bulldozers.

The drawback is that I am on the edge of the wilderness in Alaska and finding new toys and a good teacher is not easy.
Lolo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been asked to play with my windows open so my neighbourse can hear me. Play stuff they'll like regularly and smile at them when you see them.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipedope wrote:
My nearest neighbor is more than a quarter mile away.
With lots of trees too.

Besides, trumpet music is a nice change from chainsaws and bulldozers.

What mouthpiece do you use on your chainsaw?

Jerry48

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Practice frequency Reply with quote

We have our 22 month old granddaughter living with us, with her parents (our son and wife). I work straight third shift on regular job, with rotating days off every week. So, I have to be conscious of whether the baby is down for nap or gone to bed. Not always on a regular schedule.
Neighbors have never been a problem; can't even hear me practicing in the house.
At home I try to grab opportunities when they occur (when I know everyone is up and wide awake, and not trying to sleep. We have a really small three bedroom ranch -- no basement or attic.
I'm a comback trumpeter, having pretty much been off the horn since 1965, and only in my third week of practicing. Also looking for a local band to hoook up with. My son says I sound pretty good. What does he know? (hehe).
I am fortunate to have a job where I get assigned to a group home where I can practice to my hearts content in the basement during the middle of the night. The boys claim they never hear anything while sleeping, mostly on second floor. Lately I'm working the group home most of every week. So, I'm taking advantage of the opportunity---I look forward to getting my playing lips back, and can get past the point I was at when I quit in high school (1965).
Really looking forward to performing with a band.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

It actually worked.

None of my neighbours speak to me and they cross to the other side of the road when they are walking past.

And I bet you drive DEA surveillance crazy!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

It actually worked.

Is the word on the street: "This is the trumpeter who thinks he is a mafia drug dealer"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: