• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Correct Way"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gestrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: "Correct Way" Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has been posed a billion times on the TH, but I just don't have the energy to search through pages of posts.

What is meant by playing the Stamp warm ups "correctly?"
Many people discuss the advantages to playing them the right way, but I am not really sure what way they are talking about

Any help would be appreciated!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good article about this in the December, 1996, ITG Journal. http://www.trumpetguild.org/journal/journal.htm

Search for the Roy Poper interview. Also, you may be interested in his book on how to play the Stamp exercises.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied with one of Stamp's students for quite a while now. It's easier than not to play what's written in the Stamp book and not benefit from it. In fact, doing the free and mouthpiece buzzing incorrectly can totaly jack you up. If at all possible I stongly encourage you to find a Stamp expert for a least a lesson or two to get the essential concepts before sinking too much time into the book.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheiden's right, a Stamp teacher would be the best route. Lacking an instructor, however, there are helpful resources around. Besides the Poper article/book I mentioned above, check out the "Stamping It Out" blogs on www.livmusic.com

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle

Last edited by jhatpro on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
gestrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the top of the Stamp Forum there are some "stickies" where someone has taken and expanded greatly on the written directions for several of the Stamp routines. Those do about as good a job as you could hope for without seeing someone in person actually demonstrate the dos and don'ts.

If you're in or can travel to southern California I can give you recomendations for players schooled in the Stamp method.
dhbailey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest that you play along with the CD which comes with the book. I attended Roy Poper's workshop at ITG in Harrisburg, which opened my eyes to the Stamp book (I'd only heard of it peripherally before and never looked into it). To be honest when I went to ITG I was perhaps at my trumpet-playing worst level in years, having gradually fallen into not practicing (being a self-employed repair technician and private teacher meant I only had to be good enough to show my students how things should go and not having time to maintain top performing levels). So I couldn't even do most of what Roy asked us to do, but just doing what I was able to do that morning allowed me to play better than I had in years the rest of that day, and I was sold on the value of the Stamp book.

Roy said that Stamp insisted that students play along with the piano to make sure intonation was where it should be, but even though Roy didn't mention it at the workshop, one other benefit of having Stamp play the piano and having the students follow along is that Stamp could control the pacing and ensure that the notes were held long enough to gain the maximum benefit.

The CD has served me very well as a "warm-up coach" and I have been doing it diligently ever since ITG in May and it has helped turn my playing around dramatically so that in many regards I am playing better than ever now.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my copy of Warm-ups and Studies after playing out of a poorly copied PDF for a few weeks.

What does the stair-step symbol signify?

Kent
mdavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "stair-step" symbolizes the idea of staying down when you go up and staying up when you go down. I like to also use the symbol to visualize how I am playing. The end of the lower horizontal line is the beginning of the upper horizontal line. Or the end of the first note is the start of the second note. Do not have space in between the two notes.
chip crotts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is often also called a "square corner" to further help you visualize the concept of blowing forward and keeping the change from note to note very even and linear. I too use this visualization and think about blowing more across the horn than up and down to help with this concept.

I particularly love the 3 etudes in the back of the Stamp book (for Jimmy) and using this "square corner" idea to make the jumps and changes feel very close and even. It's truly life changing once this feeling begins to take hold of your playing. The ability to play with absolute efficiency cannot be stressed enough in becoming a great trumpet player.

I just keep plugging away each day and hope it continues to get easier. Stamp has definitely changed my life and playing for the better. Hope it helps you as well!

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: