• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Official Cool Cornet Picture Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
The 'ultimate' cornet:

Copper-belled WT Cornet w/ copper lead pipe!

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=17601107&size=lg

This horn (WT) is made by Kanstal. Kanstal makes their own version which is debated as the same horn by many people. Andy Taylor makes the same style cornet. All three weigh in at about the same price point.

I've never played any of the three cornets mentioned above.

Until recently, Kanstal's line of horns were very resonably priced.

For those who have played all three cornets I mention above, is there really any difference, other than the "mythology" atached to each model of what seems to be the same instrument on all three cases?

The WT is "tweaked" by FO (whatever that means; the Talor is, well, a Taylor; and ibid. with the Kanstal.

When I say "played all three models" I mean in their basic form without the bells and whistles like the WT in copper, or the Taylor in different plating ideas, or the Kanstal in what is basically presented as a standard horn.

For the record, Andy Talor makes the bells for Eclipse and for a short while Kanstal made the bells for Eclispe. Kanstal also makes the S & W cornets, as well as their own version of the S & W.

Seems as if there is a whole lot of multi-making going on. I recall someone told me who first produced the design of the three horns I mention above, but I've forgotten.

And as for mpcs., Curry makes FOs line of mpcs., as he does/did for Blackburn.

As for Monnete, for years he used Getzen valves and getzen tubing that there was a running joke that the Edwards trumpets were the same as the Monnets for KKs less.

Everything I mention above were things told to me by people at Getzen, S&W or at Kanstal or at Taylors. None of what i say is conjecture. Assuming what I was told is true.

But what I say about the 3 cornets is true--just look at them and then the price lists.

I'm still wondering who stakes claim to that particular cornet design

As for me, I'm happy, cornet-wise, with my Yam. Bb 6330IIS and Eb 2610IIS; both which I bought new in Toyko (DAC Music) right out of the shipping creates. I hope one day to have a Bach ML/37 "mezzo trumpet" which is what the Brits. call the American model long cornet. As I've mentioned before I own a 1983 B&H 921 Silver Sov which is on permanent loan. I just can't deal with that horns size and strange lower register.

Best,
crt74
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornet74 wrote:

This horn (WT) is made by Kanstal.

It's Kanstul

Kanstal makes their own version which is debated as the same horn by many people.

This has been discussed many times before. You can do a search. The Benge 8Z, Kanstul 1530 and Wild Thing do not play anything alike even though they look similar.

Andy Taylor makes the same style cornet. All three weigh in at about the same price point.

The Taylor "Zeus" looks nothing like the above mentioned other than the 2 slides and the Taylor horn is $ 5500. Much more than the other horns.

For those who have played all three cornets I mention above, is there really any difference, other than the "mythology" atached to each model of what seems to be the same instrument on all three cases?

Again - do a search. They are nothing alike.

But what I say about the 3 cornets is true--just look at them and then the price lists.

No - just about everything you have said is wrong.

I'm still wondering who stakes claim to that particular cornet design

I'm guessing the Benge 8Z

Last edited by Flattergrub on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: new cornet Reply with quote

TH doesn't seem to permit pasting in photos, so I'm just providing a link to the manufacturer web site model description.
http://www.carolbrass.com/product_post.php?i=214

Mine arrived a few days before Christmas. And I've enjoyed getting to know the instrument these past few days... very nice intonation, responsiveness, and build quality. This cornet replaces the Schilke XA1 I sold earlier this year. I won't say either one is better... the Schilke had more depth in the sound and made notes above the staff easier while the CarolBrass has a much more even scale. They are just totally different designs.

Kudos to CarolBrass! Just two suggestions: 1. Move the 3rd slide ring out a little further for average sized hands, and 2. Provide a short shank mouthpiece (the included one plays too flat for such a deep cup). With proper mouthpieces from Laskey and Warburton, the instrument plays well in tune.
[/img]
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glamour shots of my new 1890 F. Besson Brevete cornet, fresh from the shop (everything unstuck and some nasty bell dents removed). It polished up nicely...

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the C attachment...

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how cool this is, but it is a cornet. Circa 1870 A. Hilleron Paris cornet with Bb and A bits. I got it in a package deal last week and have already sold it...

connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Dale!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to hire Dale to photograph some of my cornets.
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Glamour shots of my new 1890 F. Besson Brevete cornet, fresh from the shop (everything unstuck and some nasty bell dents removed). It polished up nicely...

How does she play?
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually plays very well, in a vintage cornet kind of way. I took it to a brass band rehearsal last month and the intonation was really good, very even through the scale. It has a smaller, more gentle sound than modern cornets, so it tends to get lost in a modern cornet section. Anyway, it's a keeper, for sure. I don't have an original small-shank mouthpiece for it yet, but I'm looking.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I think I need to hire Dale to photograph some of my cornets.

Thanks, but I just get lucky with the quality of the pictures sometimes. Those "glamour shots" were taken with the cornet laying on a glass-covered end table in the living room with the late afternoon sun shining on it.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Anyway, it's a keeper, for sure. I don't have an original small-shank mouthpiece for it yet, but I'm looking.

Dale, I've got a pre-1905 cornet that looks (constructionally) just like yours, and was also made in the same area. I'm having Charlie Melk make me a receiver bit that will except a standard modern cornet mouthpiece. I have the original bit and mouthpiece, as well as something Mark Curry made for me that mates to that original bit quite well. I've been waiting for Greg Black to make me something that mates, but have given up on that idea. When the original parts come back in I have no qualms letting you see them to see if they fit and/or you like any of it. The original is a bit too big of an ID for me and may be about like a 3C in that regard, although with a truly vintage (deep) cornet cup shape. The piece Mark made me is on the other end of the spectrum and is too small an ID for me so you probably wouldn't like it, but it might interest you to see how close to the cup shape he could come and how it plays?

Sweet horn in any event ...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know. I've thought about modding the bits to accept a modern shank, but there are 3 of them (A, Bb, C) and I don't want to destroy history. My next thought was to get Mark Curry to make me a mouthpiece, but that won't work until he decides to do custom work again. The third option is to find an original small-shank Besson London mouthpiece, which is the option I like best. I don't know when the shank size changed, though. This 1890 model needs a small shank, but the 1907 Besson I have needs a larger, modern shank size.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye candy from a couple centuries ago...

feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi Titan Soprano Cornet in Brushed Lacquer finish, with Gold Plated trim and Black Onyx finger buttons.

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback@stomvi-usa wrote:
Stomvi Titan Soprano Cornet in Brushed Lacquer finish, with Gold Plated trim and Black Onyx finger buttons.

That is absolutely gorgeous!

If it plays as well as it looks... oh dear, why do there have to be so many nice sops around
Cameron J.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering everyone is posting vintage cornets, I thought I would mix it up and put a modern one in here.

My Yamaha Xeno Cornet with a Sparx 3 mouthpiece.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd show a couple of my old cornets with their cases.

Circa 1870 Henry Lehnert

1890 Besson Brevete

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same cornets, but more of a "period" still life motif this time...

feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan Bb Cornet

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: