• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curious about doublers question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your primary instrument?
Trumpet
79%
 79%  [ 23 ]
Cornet
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Flugelhorn
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Curious about doublers question Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity: often the cornet and flugelhorn are discussed as a doubler instrument for trumpet players. Does anyone here play cornet or flugelhorn as their primary instrument (and maybe doubles on trumpet lol)?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I couldn’t answer the poll. I prefer to play the cornet but because I play in many situations where the trumpet is needed I find I play it the most. I play the flugelhorn every chance I get but opportunities are rare. I also play soprano cornet and piccolo trumpet.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 1773 pages of trumpet topics and 327 pages of cornet/flugelhorn topics on this site if I read the site correctly.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
I found I couldn’t answer the poll. I prefer to play the cornet but because I play in many situations where the trumpet is needed I find I play it the most. I play the flugelhorn every chance I get but opportunities are rare. I also play soprano cornet and piccolo trumpet.

I had included an option ‘Other’ but it kinda got lost somehow when I posted the poll (I think I may have needed to click another button to confirm).

Richard III wrote:
There are 1773 pages of trumpet topics and 327 pages of cornet/flugelhorn topics on this site if I read the site correctly.

Yeah, I wasn’t really expecting something different than what the poll shows. It’s nice to see though that at least a few people consider themselves cornet players. But seeing we’re on trumpetherald, as opposed to cornetherald or flugelhornherald, I suppose the results aren’t surprising.

It’s just that, I know that dedicated cornet and flugelhorn players exist (one of my former teachers was a flugelist, though she also had a trumpet). I was merely wondering if they visited this site, and what it’s like if the trumpet is your ‘doubling’ instrument rather than your main.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on trumpet, but then when I joined a brass band, that meant mostly playing on a cornet. My problem is I don't really acclimate quickly, so moving from one instrument to another is usually a problem. Because the instruments are so similar, it's just easier to stick to cornet unless I really can't.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing the trumpet a lot these days my primary and first horn was the cornet. I have considered myself a cornet player doubling on trumpet.
I began playing cornet exclusively about 1958 and continued to do so up til 1969 when I found that a trumpet was the better choice for lead in the swingband we got started 1968. But I continued to play cornet, front row in our brass band and cornet in the university wind band. A short step in was soloing on Eb trumpet in the latter - Hayden). Continued doing so up to the pandemic. (well I quit the university band 1978..)
Today I have taken a pause from the brass band playing trumpet, lead in one big band subbing on all chairs in other big bands while occasionally subbing on cornet in the brass band.

I always found it difficult to switch between these two horns, Bb cornet and Bb trumpet. Not so between soprano (Eflat cornet) and trumpet.
Today this seems a lot easier since I began practicing on the same kind of mouthpiece (Bb to Bb). A rather deep mpc.

Also - playing front row cornet and lead in a big band are absolute opposites. The cornet should be played "cornetty", dolce, agile, always blending with the section while the lead trumpet is supposed to lead, to be heard, establishing the attitude, together with alto 1 and the rhythm section. Our brass band director is foaming at the mouth at even a minuscule sign of a trumpet sound.....

I haven´t met with any other guy doubling apart from the university years when everything seemed possible (i.e. Bflat tuba to Eflat cornet....)

Update: Wednesday this week I subbed in the brass band playing the soprano (Eb cornet Getzen Eterna) for the first time in 30 years. Which was very well received by all, including the foaming prone director. And, actuallty quite entertaining although I prefer to name this horn a 'fakir' cornet. the horn player´s equivalent to a bed of nails. It was a long and straining rehearsal but I did endure. And met no problems playing the trumpet yesterday.
I must have developed. And I know why but I won´t tell you unless you ask me to.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play tuba in a trad jazz band, euphonium in a community band and cornet/trumpet in a jazz big band/dance band. In that band we play cornets during practices and only bring out the trumpets for the gigs.

I play trumpet/cornet the most for practice time as they take the most effort to maintain a level of proficiency. So I start the day on that, then through the day switch to euphonium and tuba.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
geseco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a flugelhorn and I've never had a trumpet.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geseco wrote:

Guess that makes you quite rare here 😁.

What kind of music do you generally play?
AR Resonance mouthpieces
geseco

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
geseco wrote:

Guess that makes you quite rare here 😁.

What kind of music do you generally play?

Jazz ballads.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geseco wrote:
Jazz ballads.

That makes sense. Cool.
AR Resonance mouthpieces

Last edited by stuartissimo on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Interesting--almost perfect correspondence to the 80:20 breakdown in the poll.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Doublers Reply with quote

Hello all,
I started out on trumpet. I bought a flugelhorn in high school. While in college 1976 to 1981, I added a C trumpet, D/Eb, and pic. I bought my first cornet 20 years ago when I started playing in a brass band. Since our trumpet section in both brass band and community concert band is similar, we play both cornet and trpt in the concert band. So at the moment, cornet and trumpet are about equal with a flugel being played sporadically in the jazz orchestra. The smaller horns are brought out depending on the gig. Maybe doubling is a union designation to get you more money when on a gig. The woodwind players get the big bucks....
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself primarily a cornet player, as I do all my home practice on cornet. I however play trumpet slightly more out of the house.

I play trumpet predominantly in a symphony orchestra (mainly Bb but also sometimes C,D and Eb), only playing cornet when the part specifically is for cornet.

I play both trumpet and cornet in a community orchestra. I apply a little more artistic licence with this, not only playing cornet when the parts are annotated cornet, but also when I think that cornet is more appropriate. I use cornet for all marches and I'm currently playing what is labelled 1st trumpet on cornet for a Gilbert and Sullivan Mikado selection.

I play flute in another community orchestra

I play cornet in a brass band

I play trumpet, flugel and flute in my a jazz band.

Playing primarily trumpet in the symphony orchestra, more trumpet than cornet in the community orchestra, and more trumpet than flugel in the jazz band, I do probably primarily play trumpet more out of the house, but like I say, I do all my home practice on cornet.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: