• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing after shaving

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flugel_man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: playing after shaving Reply with quote

does anyone experience any problems playing their horn after they shave?
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it tends to be the other way around. I start to really lose the center of my sound and a lot of command if I don't shave for a while.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Unless I cut myself shaving, it's usually not a problem. The opposite though.. put it this way, I have no idea how people play with a mustache.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do. I noticed that the skin where my mouthpiece grips the rim a lot more than usual and it makes flexibility very difficult. I've noticed this with many different types of shaving creams and after shaves.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
pb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like playing immediately after shaving. The skin feels too slick and soft IMO. I guess a day's growth helps me grip the mouthpiece...

On the other hand I don't really like playing with a moustache either - somewhere in between works best for me.

/Per
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RANDYTX:
Quote:
I have no idea how people play with a mustache

You have to have a little scissors, and every morning you have to pucker your lips while gazing at your embouchure in the mirror and remove all hairs in the 'mouthpiece zone'.

jbq
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot play after shaving. I lose way too much sensitivity, I really like to feel the mouthpiece. Each hair is attached to a nerve ending; no hair means very little sensation!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use to shave I liked the feel of just shaved lips. For me I like the grip with my mostly dry setup. For many years now I've worn a mustache. When I don't trim I lose my grip and it hurts my endurance. When I do trim I don't use a razor, just a beard trimmer which leaves some growth (compared to shaving). This seems to work okay for me.
BTW, I've heard way too many horror storys about scissors and advise strongly against using them anywhere near your lips. A good beard/'stache trimmer is much safer.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric!
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to play right after I shave, because it makes my lips feel sticky. I will not play for at least 45 minutes after shaving -- I will go unshaven if I have to.

I wonder if one of the issues that determines how shaving affects you (in addition to whether or not you use an electric shaver, which is probably the big one) is how wet your embouchure is. I guess I slightly moisten my lips, which means that to an extent I'm relying on oils from my skin to allow the mouthpiece to move around. When I shave, those oils are mostly washed away. It seems to me that somebody who is accustomed to a wetter embouchure might not notice this as much. It might be interesting to know how wet an embouchure is used by those people who don't like playing after shaving.
Jetrang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a very sensitive skin but playing after shaving is never a issue....

Playing the trumpet after a shower is a disaster most of the time, everything feels stiff and tight somehow...
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
RANDYTX:
Quote:
I have no idea how people play with a mustache

You have to have a little scissors, and every morning you have to pucker your lips while gazing at your embouchure in the mirror and remove all hairs in the 'mouthpiece zone'.

You mean you do.
I haven't removed any hair around my mouth in over 20 years. I've had a mustache since I could grow hair. I do like to keep it trimmed above the lip
line. Over time, the hair grows away from the mouthpiece, like a "cow lick".
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
I cannot play after shaving. I lose way too much sensitivity, I really like to feel the mouthpiece. Each hair is attached to a nerve ending; no hair means very little sensation!

That's a temporary condition.

Also, your skin has nerve endings as well. The hair is merely an extension. But to each, their own. One feel is not superior to another.

Sometimes it feels a bit weird after I shave, but it passes within an hour or two.

I actually loose some sensitivity and feel when I don't shave - there is extra stuff there between me and the mouthpiece that I'm not used to. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get used to, but I can't take the facial hair for that long. I vacillate between clean shaven and scruffy - with a bit more time on the scruffy because I'm lazy.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with a wet setting and wear a goatee. However, I keep the goatee trimmed fairly short and shave the area that interfaces with the mouthpiece every day.

I experimented with the whole thing a long time ago, and it just came down to preferring the smoothness of shaved skin against the mouthpiece.

Paul
ghsdirector
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a goatee for years. It fits my poser-biker-persona. I have shaved a time or two, and playing felt really really weird. The tendency for the mouthpiece to slip around was really annoying! However, I played a number of years before I ever grew a beard. I guess it's just whatever you're used to.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with a Van Dyke for a while, and never had any problems or did any trumpet-specific trimming. Admittedly, mine was not the fullest of mustaches. But whenever I form my embouchure, I have a tendency to sort of wiggle the mouthpiece around to get comfortable, which had the bonus effect of pushing any intruding hairs away.

Now I just have the goatee (sans mustache), which has no discernible effect on my playing, aside from making me look cool as hell.

I wish I could grow a huge Lanny MacDonald mustache (non-hockey fans, think Wilford Brimley). Having the mouthpiece disappear and the lead pipe sort of jut out of a forest of facial hair would be a funny visual.
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up shaving 15 years ago, for that very reason. Now my chops seem more consistent.

I do use an electric beard trimmer, and try to keep the length consistent.
couchwd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Actually, I do. I noticed that the skin where my mouthpiece grips the rim a lot more than usual and it makes flexibility very difficult. I've noticed this with many different types of shaving creams and after shaves.

I get the same issue. I like to shave at least 12 hours before playing. That seems to be the most comfortable for me. I usually do it the night before. And if you happen to cut yourself, you don't have to worry about forgetting the little pieces of toilet paper stuck to your face.
Bach/Melk Eb
LA Benge Piccolo
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem playing after just having shaved. I always use the latest greatest (but expensive!) Gillette product.
flugel_man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had so many responses. thanks everyone! i find also what a lot of people have said. i struggle to play for the rest of the day if i shave. it returns to normal the day after. therefore i have to tactically shave ha! not sure about the opposite way though as i never leave it to grow to a tash length
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: