• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Efficiency vs Negative Tension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Efficiency vs Negative Tension Reply with quote

Hi all, I just posted a reply in another thread and it addresses some really important issues so I thought I would re-post it here.

If you want to find the original thread, you can find it here, some of you will find it helpful. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153268

Hi all, was just informed of this thread...

Being misinterpreted when communicating in daily life is tough for everyone so I spend my life trying to be as concise and unambiguous as possible. Of course there will always be exceptions.

I do not have the time nor inclination to wander around forums hoping to correct the occasional misunderstanding but this thread needs some clarification.

Before I start, I want to pay homage to the person in the post before mine. Your "Meh" attitude about my teaching is both offensive and ignorant. Your opinions on tension are not only incorrect but actually very dangerous.

In a forum meant to encourage those who are struggling, I suggest you do your homework before expressing such dismissive and critical opinions.

One OLD video does not represent my entire teaching approach.

One NEW video dispels your apparent love of tension.

Link

I have been misquoted several times throughout this thread so let me try to fit a lifetime of experimenting, learning and experience into a couple of quick sentences.

What I am working on is efficiency. There is negativeand positive tension and I can guarantee that most of you reading have an incorrect understanding of what is (or isn't) required to play efficiently. Watch the above video for more...

Spence doesn't = Maggiobut the psychology behind one particular area of my teaching does align with a Maggio concept; eliminating the pinching at the centre of the lips. Are you meant to look like a chimp? NO! It's just making a point about Aperture Corners (and FYI I use the term Aperture Corner Tension) and most of you will be thinking, oh yeah, the corners of the mouth... NOPE, that's NOT what I mean.

I use the voice to unlock body resonance, airflow, to set a new feeling/sensation and to set a fresh, efficient psychology. At first look, you will think I am nuts, that's fine, but if you were to engage with what I am getting at, you will "get" it.

The tongue position plays a roll in pitch change resonance but does not determine pitch change itself. I have been around this forum for years and instead of having strictly held beliefs and opinions, I took the time to do my own in-depth research and experimentation. I don't care to argue these points, believe whatever you like. I do demonstrate it all in fine detail at the WindWorks course.

I have had a chat with the OP and know the issues and I hope to continue to work with him because as a lot of you can tell, there is more a psychological reset that needs to take place rather than a "new lip position".

As I say in the free Largo Status Stage mini lectures, PLEASE QUESTION/CHALLENGE ME! BUT, in order to do that, you must be prepared to firstly question your own beliefs.

Have a great day and stay safe out there people, the world has gone mad!

Cheers,
Greg

The smart ones will work through the free Largo Status Stage. Here is the quick sign-up page. https://mysterytomastery.com/windworks-sign-up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: