• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to - Charles Colin Lip Flexibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: How to - Charles Colin Lip Flexibilities Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have had the Charles Colin Lip Flexibilities book for a long time and I have always liked some of the exercises. But it wasn't until the other day that I realized I have no idea how to structure a practice routine out of it. The book is obviously very progressive, but if you were to start at the beginning and then work up to your highest note, you would be dead.

How do you use the book? I'm asking for any of the 3 Vols. Should one start close to the top of their range?

Some one posted some time ago they took a lesson with Allan Colin and he taught them how his father intended the book to be used, but they didn't explain what they learned. I would love to hear about that.

Thanks all
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

….

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would approach a section at a time. I usually do one or two full exercises before I put it down, something different every time.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbuligan in Toronto posted his approach to Colin 12 years ago.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74989&highlight=smacking

Last edited by bspickler on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you have the complete method, correct?

Start at the beginning. I would, however, read the text about the use of the tongue in performing these exercises (actually, in playing the instrument) and be certain to incorporate it into your practice. Very similar text is found in the Irons book as well as many other methods. Without understanding, and using the tongue-level info you'll likely add very little to your skill level at present. You'll really notice it when doing the lip "trilling", which really has little to do with the lips. And read the rest of the text as well to get some idea of what Mr. Colin advocated.

As far as how much to do? When you start feeling fatigue- rest. If you have no problems going between the low F# and the F# above "high C", keep going. I've never thought the reason to practice these exercises was to wear one's self out.

Good luck
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any other exercise I would recommend working on those you find difficult but within your playing range. These are flexibility exercises, not specifically range building. Play the exercises and the etude from that section. When it's easy, move onto the next. You could spend a week or a month on one "chapter". In my daily practice I normally just play the etudes as I've accomplished the technique so the underlying studies are redundant. Can I play all the way to the end of Book 3? No. But they are invaluable in keeping my embouchure supple. Where I place these my daily practice depends on the day.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: