• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Martin Brand Bell flair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetmac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Martin Brand Bell flair Reply with quote

Does the Martin brand have a bell flair with a slower taper than most?
This would include the Committee, Imperial, and Indiana.
I have a Indiana coming next week and looking at the bell, the taper looks to be slower than most. Would the taper make for a darker warmer tone?
Thanks Trumpetmac

1970's Holton T602
Soon Martin Indiana 1930's- 50's
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/Suggestions_For_Choosing_Trumpet.pdf

The above is Bach's web site and has a nice drawing of what is fast taper and what is slow. I use this as my standard and it makes it easy for everyone to follow along.

So no and yes. No the Martin is not a slower taper it is a faster taper then average. Yes it will sound darker.

Think of this way if you where looking at a funnel to put oil in your car the funnel with a "fast" taper would go from it's tiny size that goes into the engine of your car to a large easy to pour into size very quickly so you get the classic funnel shape we are all used too when we tink of a good easy to use funnel. If it had a "slow" taper/profile then you ould have something that looked more like a straigt tube with a pie tin or plate on top. If you look at some the Eb/D trumpets you will notice some models have a flair that almost looks flat that would be an extreme case of a slow taper. Get it? So Bach 37 would be a slow taper and Martin Comm. Horn would be a faster taper. The Bach Strad 65 bell is the fastest taper that Bach has in a Bb trumpet bell.

Usually but not always a faster taper will have a larger throat as well.
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk,

Nobody knows what you are talking about when you describe slow and fast taper..it seems you actually turn it around from what others are describing. What you are calling a faster taper on the Martin bells is actually a taper that begins sooner, and tapers slower. The bell taper occurs over a longer range of bell length.

The way I would describe the typical Martin bell taper is that the area where your stick the mute is more open...a wider throat in the mute area.
This provides a sound a bit stronger in the low to mid harmonics..and some players enjoy exploiting that part of the trumpet sound. So yes..warmer and darker would be good way to describe it. This bell flare is pretty much standard on Martin horns..including the Indiana.

There are a few exceptions with some Martin Committees. I had a Handcraft Committee with a French Besson bell flare...but it was made when Schilke was working on the Committee design..the same time Benge was working on his French Besson clones.
RogersBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk,

You are correct..and in agreement with the Bach site diagram on fast and slow taper. But the Bach diagram is wrong...drawn up by some stooge in the art department.

I think what we need to agree upon is what description are we refering to when we talk about this..the original question is still the same regarding what the effect is on the sound of the horn..just different terminology talking about the same thing.
Trumpetmac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I am excited to get the Martin Indiana, It has a awesome vintage look and I hope it sounds great to. On ebay a seller stated that the Indiana's were used as backup horns for Martin Committee trumpert owners, if thats true this trumpet could be a real player!

Trumpetmac
1970's Holton T602
soon Martin Indiana 1925 - 1950's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: