• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What was your very first horn, and where you get it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zatoichi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious about what everyone’s very first horn was.. and also where you got it from.

I got started in playing trumpet because I spent a summer up at my uncles in Mendocino. While searching through all his old records I found an old Lee Morgan record.. the title was called Sidewinder

It was instant love.. that very summer I did all sorts of odd end jobs to save up some cash.. and at the end I got me an old beat up King Cleveland from an old timer who lived up the road.

Loved it so much I slept with it for the first week I had it;)..(yes it's strange I know)

that year of school I dropped out of my advanced voice class I had been in for a very long time.. and picked up beginning band... the rest is history:)

what about you guys?

[ This Message was edited by: Zatoichi on 2003-06-21 20:33 ]
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my old Holton Collegiate I got about eleven years ago. It's a piece of crap, now, but...it worked then. I got it from Mr. Music in Ft. Wayne IN when I started. It came with an old Bach 10 mouthpiece that I still like to use on occasion.
merf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started with a holton t602. i still have it but it's a piece of crap. now i play a getzen eterna and i am anxiously waiting for my olds ambassador that i sent to leigh from first class brass to be restored to return. i'm sure she'll be good lookin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on one of the Bach student line trumpets, I believe in TR200. I started in 6th grade when I lived in San Antonio and my music teacher was Marc Lumley.
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach Strat.
From my parents.
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Holton Collegiate. God, I loved that horn! Until I started to feel like I was playing an aluminium foil with a cork stuck in it! I bought my horn from a local music store. Not local to State College, however. The store has LONG since shut it's doors and the gentleman who owned it has died.
-efwd
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn long model cornet with a coprion bell first trumpet about two years later Bach Omega
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "first" horn was actually an Olds alto saxaphone. My sister wanted a new trumpet so due to a lack of cash and the better trade in value for the sax, we traded that so she could get the Yamaha YTR 739T that I later ended up with, and my first brass horn was her really beat up King cornet (beat up by the cousin that owned it before she did) that I still keep for sentimental reasons. My son thinks that he wants to play it. NO WAY!!!!! It's horrible as an instrument so he'll get to start on something much better than what I did.

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-06-21 21:40 ]
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was the best one I have ever played; I just did not know it at that time. My Uncle has a New York Bach, #95xx, that he got when he was in high school in 1948. He used that horn during his years in the army band, all over the US and Europe. He offered me the use of it for my first 2 years of band, so my parents did not have to shell out for a horn that I may or may not keep playing.
*sigh*

Little did I know at the time..........I used it until my parents knew I was going to stick with it, and they bought me a Getzen Severinsen Eterna in 1972. The Getzen was a good horn, but the New York Strad was and still is a GREAT horn. My Uncle had his Bach overhauled about 20 years ago, and while he no longer plays much, he still has the horn. I have played on it a number of times over the past 20 years, and have offered him mucho dinero for it. He just smiles............

[ This Message was edited by: HorneyMikey on 2003-06-21 21:42 ]
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was an Olds Super. I got it from my uncle because my parents couldn't really afford to buy me a horn at the time. I still have it. It's a really wonderful horn.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was a Yamaha student trumpet which I still use as a backup horn. It's almost completely raw brass, save a few small spots. It actually plays pretty well for a student horn.
Zatoichi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts:)

Got some horns that where given.. some bought. I just have a few more questions to add to the fire.. What made you pick a trumpet to play in the first place?.. i know brass instruments are the best instruments there are:D .. and we all know that brass players get all the chicks... (or studs.. what ever your into)

but what person place or thing was the turning point in your life.. that made you say "yes.. i'm going to be a brass player"

and a follow up question to that .. what trumpet/brass player.. or players do you model your self after. I know we all try to come up with our own sound.. but there must have been someone you have followed to help you get to that point... who was it?

post away!
tptscream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made me choose trumpet? My father was a fan of Herb Alpert and the Tiajuana (sp?) Brass. I guess I heard too many repetitions of The Lonely Bull and Tiuana (sp?) Taxi. First horn? In school, an Olds Ambassador. (Still, I think, the best student trumpet ever made). Why do I still do it? Because I love making noises come out of a metal pipe.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very, very first horn was a rental, I have no idea what kind it was.

Once my parents realized I was serious about the trumpet (still in grade school, probably 1968/69), my dad had his trumpet from high school refurbished. The horn had been his when he was in high school (early 1940's) and was almost undoubtedly used when he acquired it in the small town in western MN where he grew up.

I think the make of that horn was "Lafayette" but that's all I can remember. I've never seen one since! It was really narrow and stuffy. Looks kind of like the one shown here: http://johnv.home.mchsi.com/ but it didn't have the fancy third valve slide stop.

My parents sold that trumpet in a yard sale while I was in college ... I had my Bach by then, I guess they figured I didn't want it anymore ... I was bummed! Ironically, I still have the mouthpiece that came with the Lafayette, which is even more oddball. The cup diameter is about 16 mm ID, the rim is about 7 mm wide, fairly flat, and the cup is is shaped more like a cornet mouthpiece than a trumpet mouthpiece.

I do miss that horn, for sentimental reasons. So if you bought a horn like that in the late 70's in a yard sale in Falls Church, VA, drop me a line!

Edit: And I probably got interested in trumpet because my dad played trumpet many years ago. Why do I still play? I'm addicted.

[ This Message was edited by: swthiel on 2003-06-21 23:05 ]
DruMcC1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was also a King Cleveland. My uncle was a semi-professional trumpet player, although has since turned to photography, and my parents got him to send me his student horn, from the mid-60s. I knew I was into music, but couldn't decide between trumpet and drums, which I suppose were the two I thought were the coolest. I took trumpet because of the free horn, and a few years later fell in love. I still have the Cleveland, although it is in horrible shape and just sits in a closet. If I get the extra money, I want to get it refinished and everything, just so I can have my first horn looking nice.

Dru
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn was the same horn that was my fathers first horn when he was a kid in the early 60's. It was called a Pioneer, and was freaking HEAVY, you couldnt put a dent in it if you tried. But played very bright... I've played it since then and it plays better than a lot of pro horns out there today. My dad said his mother paid 99 dollars and it came with no case, in a plastic bag.
-J
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a King Liberty from my Nana. It's currently being overhauled for my boy when he is ready for it.

Dave
londonhusker
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why i started--missed school one 7th grade day because i was sick, listened to some bix 78s my dad had and decided i wanted to play trumpet...no school band, but there was a satin-silver pan-american around the house, so i taught myself how to play..school started a band program when i was in the 9th grade and i eventually went to holton galaxy, bach in college, now bach and schilke....never could play like bix!

dj
doG tepmurT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, and I've only played for 7 years, so I don't know if I count in this conversation. My first horn was a Yammie student piece of s****. I still remember taking it home and for the life of me, I couldn't get it to play. I did everything I could think of- nothing but foul air. We took it back to the shop and found out, lo and behold, the previous renters had put the 2nd valve in wrong, and I didn't know about the *turn 'till it clicks* rule. Anyway, when the 1 year *lease* was up on that, they gave me half the money back towards another horn- I got a silver Yamaha Student model. I forget the model, I think it's 23xx or something, but I still play it as my primary horn. I love the thing. I've played friends' horns, from Amatis to Getzens- Sorry, I coudn't think of a horn that started with a Z that I have played on- and this horn has the fastest valves I've ever used. I just recently picked up a Windsor Cornet on e-bay- $60- and am in love. It needs a bit of work, but it's my first cornet. I love the sound. I'm trying to find another horn cheap- looking at everything from King SilverTones to oooooold Conns- but no such luck for a college student with $100-200 to spare, if that.
First MP was a Yamaha 7c, now it's a Blessing 3c, the same Yamaha, a Severinsen Jet-Tone, and for the cornet, an old King deep V-cup without size markings or anything.
I originally wanted to play Violin, but my 7th grade band director didn't teach it, and he was a trumpet player, so I thought I would get the best attention and instruction on the same instrument he knew the most about.
PS- anyone know anything about Vintage Elkhart Windsors, I'm trying to find some info on my new toy- can't seem to find vintage Windsors anywhere- for sale or information. If ya'all could help out, it'd be great.
Who started the idea that the higher you play, the better you are?
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First horn was a Used Holton Cornet from the music store three blocks from my house. I was 12 years old and actually quit after the first semester of band, cuz it wasn't easy and that wasn't fun, you know.

Came back the next fall and rejoined the school band. Since I thought I was behind everyone else I practiced alot, and behold I was "first chair" that whole year.

In high school I was upgraded to a King Silver Flair trumpet, that later was damaged beyond repair when the family home was broken into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: