• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stories about William Thieck

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Stories about William Thieck Reply with quote

I received a message from William Thieck's granddaughter (Lori) when she found the TH website doing some research about her grandfather. I was able to put together a simple bio looking at past research and posts that I have written here on TH:

William Thieck

William Adelbert Thieck was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, near the North Sea on March 27, 1883. He emigrated to the United States in 1905. Thieck was Principal trumpet of the Russian Symphony in about 1906-1908 (reference page 8, "Some Principals in Great Orchestra". Iowa City Daily Press. Iowa City, Iowa. April 22, 1909 as found at Russian Symphony Orchestra Society of New York). He was then Principal trumpet of the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra from 1912-1920, and then served as Principal trumpet of the San Francisco Symphony for one season (1921-1922).

William Thieck authored at least two trumpet method books entitled: Daily Studies for Cornet and Trumpet, 1928 and The Art of Trumpet Playing

1906-1908.....Principal Trumpet Russian Symphony (New York City)
1912-1920.....Principal Trumpet Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra
1921-1922.....Principal Trumpet San Francisco Symphony

I know that The Art of Trumpet Playing was a method book that Arnold Jacobs and Bill Adam used with their students. I'm sure that Lori would appreciate hearing any stories from those of you that may have studied with players that worked with Thieck.

Thanks!
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen it spelled Thiecke with an "e" at the end.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that spelling as well, but I double checked his World War I draft registration, and it is Thieck (no "e" at the end).

trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Derek. Where did you get his draft registration?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I've been doing a family history project and signed up on Ancestry.com. It's amazing what you can find with just a little searching! They have literally billions of records scanned in and tied it all to a very powerful search engine.
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Thieck info. appreciated! Reply with quote

Wanted to say THANK YOU so much for your help....I am thrilled about your prompt response and your putting my Grandpa's info. out there....Can't believe his draft registration is posted here!!....My scanner is acting up, but will try to get Thieck pics to you asap....Have a nice one of him with his trumpet.
Postcards galore that he faithfully sent his daughters, from his travels too. (They should provide a record of where the symphony was and when.)
It's thrilling to know there are still those who may find these things, of interest. I have his wallet w/ his musicians union card, etc.

Last edited by Thieckgirl on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

I found the souce of the misspelling of your grandfather's name. It's on the cover of every copy of "The Art of Trumpet Playing, The Thiecke Method" published by Charles Colin Music!

There's a very nice preface to the book written by Mel Broiles who was first trumpet with the Metropolitan Opera for many years. In the first paragraph he wrote, "Some years ago my good friend trumpet maker Vincent Bach, handed me this book by Mr. Thiecke and remarked that here was certainly a player who knew what he was talking about. When I read the text I was struck with his candor and frankness and upon examining the material realized that here was a wise and perhaps honest man, as well." The book's copyright is 1989, so clearly it was re-released many years after it was originally written.

I thought you would enjoy hearing what two of the great men in the trumpet world had to say about your grandfather!
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Granfather Thieck's book. Reply with quote

Derek, I can't thank you enough! WOW! I feel like I spent the day with my Grandpa. Wm. Thieck's father played the french horn and now my niece, Tammy...(Wm. Thieck's great granddaughter ) has her Masters degree and plays french horn also.

My Grandmother Thieck sang opera, and met Wm. Thieck in New York..they settled in Cedarburg, WI after leaving California...
An elderly gentleman, who grew up in the house behind theirs, told me this story:
When Grandfather came home from his travels, the neighbors could all hear him coming up the walk, playing a love song on his trumpet...my grandmother would then open the window and sing to him.....the neighborhood kids were reprimanded by their elders if they were disrepectful and made noise, outside, at these times.

Colin Publications is sending me a "complimentary copy" of Granfather's book...called them today! Can't wait! It was great to hear the words in the preface....thanks for sharing!
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you know, I have been working for years now on a 1,500-pg. book titled TRUMPET GREATS, a biographical dictionary of about 2,000 important players, teachers, manufacturers, etc. Here is what I have on Thieck:

Thieck, William Adelbert (b. Mecklenburg, Germany, Mar. 27, 1883; d. Nov. 10, 1922). American trumpeter. Very little is known of Thieck’s early life. He was principal trumpet of the Russian Symphony Orchestra in New York from 1906 to 1908, principal of the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (now the Minnesota Orchestra) from 1912 to 1920, and principal of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra from 1921 to 1922. He wrote Daily Studies for the Cornet or Trumpet in 1928, and a highly regarded method titled The Art of Trumpet Playing (reprinted by Colin Publications with preface by Mel Broiles).
William Thieck was married to Anthonea Thieck from Cederburg, Wisconsin. According to his granddaughter, Lori Brosh, whenever William returned home from a long trip, he would play a love song on his trumpet as he walked towards his house. His wife, a professional opera singer, would open a window and sing the song with him. Their neighbors taught their children that this was true love.
In 1922, Thieck became leader of the 150th Cavalry Band in Madison, Wisconsin. The Thieck family eventually settled in Cedarburg, Wisconsin where his wife grew up. Apparently distraught, William Thieck hanged himself on November 10, 1930 in Watertown, Wisconsin.
Bibl.: “William Thieck” (www.TrumpetHerald.com); Thieck military registration record provided by Derek Reaban (see photo); “William Adelbert Thieck” (www.stokowski.org/Principal_Musicians_San_Francisco_Symphony.htm).

Dave Hickman

PS. I have a nice photo of Thieck to post, but I will need a pm to instruct me on how to do it.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

What a beautiful story about your grandparents! That certainly brightened my day.

After reading this I was very curious, and looked at a Census record for your grandparents and found the names of their children. They certainly passed their love of music and opera to their three girls:

Isolde
Mignon
Breunnhilde

I smiled when I saw their names.

Dave,

Here's a good post for details on linking to photos.
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Your book! Reply with quote

Dave...wow!
Thanks so much for posting....in time I can provide more info. on Grandfather Thieck. You've done well...only mistake I see is year of death at beginning of bio...it was 1930.

Just briefly looked over a few albums of the many postcards and letters I have filed...many written in German...either to/from/about my grandfather.
One postcard puts him in Houston, TX. on 1/26/1917..(2 days after youngest of his 3 daughters, turned 1 y/o) His daughters were named after famous operas....Isolde, Mignon and Bruennhilde (spelling?) Born ?, 1914 and 1916.
It looks like he sent postcards home faithfully, from every city he played in....therefore I have all addresses of homes they lived in, dates etc. The Cedarburg house is still there, and we have pics, as my sisters and I lived there in our early years...many pics of old homestead were taken over the years, as Grandmother Thieck grew up there, with her parents. Have Thieck wedding photo, from 1908.

As far as his suicide in 1930 (I have copy of letter grandmother wrote to the sheriff, who brought her the sad news)....Thieck's oldest daughter Isolde believed her whole life that there was "foul play" involved (so did others from Cedarburg.)....my cousin James Pergande, her son, is living in WA state....he has memories of things his mother told him about her father....He remembers hearing of a family trip Thieck took, while in California...and his pride in the particular vehicle he drove his family in.

Possibly because of the questionable manner of his death, Grandmother shared little of what she held in her heart, about their earlier years together. (Which left us with a strong yearning to know more about our Grandfather Thieck, as we dared not upset our elders by asking too much...we were sensitive to the fact, we may be bringing heartbreaking memories up for them.)
We still have the old handmade dollhouses that Wm. Thieck lovingly built for his daughters....He'd bring home beautiful miniature furnishings, as surprises...We always set them up carefully at Christmas, and to this day the tradition is carried on when we're able. Each piece is wrapped and put away, until the next year.....More to come if anyone is interested.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revised:

Thieck, William Adelbert (b. Mecklenburg, Germany, Mar. 27, 1883; d. Nov. 10, 1930). American trumpeter. Very little is known of Thieck’s early life. He was principal trumpet of the Russian Symphony Orchestra in New York from 1906 to 1908, principal of the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (now the Minnesota Orchestra) from 1912 to 1920, and principal of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra from 1921 to 1922. He wrote Daily Studies for the Cornet or Trumpet in 1928, and a highly regarded method titled The Art of Trumpet Playing (reprinted by Colin Publications with preface by Mel Broiles).
William Thieck married Anthonea Thieck from Cederburg, Wisconsin in 1908. According to his granddaughter, Lori Brosh, whenever William returned home from a long trip, he would play a love song on his trumpet as he walked towards his house. His wife, a professional opera singer, would open a window and sing the song with him. Their neighbors taught their children that this was true love.
In 1922, Thieck became leader of the 150th Cavalry Band in Madison, Wisconsin. The Thieck family eventually settled in Cedarburg, Wisconsin where his wife grew up. He and Anthonea had three daughters, each named after famous operas—Isolde, Mignon (b. 1914), and Breunnhilde (b. 1916). Apparently distraught, William Thieck supposedly hanged himself on November 10, 1930 in Watertown, Wisconsin but the family has always suspected foul play
Bibl.: “William Thieck” (www.TrumpetHerald.com); Thieck military registration record provided by Derek Reaban (see photo); “William Adelbert Thieck” (www.stokowski.org/Principal_Musicians_San_Francisco_Symphony.htm).
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Thieck a Master Mason Reply with quote

Dave...I'm honored that you are including my grandfather in your book. I don't know what info. will be of use to you, so will just share what I find of interest.

Found papers here that show Wm. Thieck became a 32 degree/Master Mason of the Scottish Rite, as member of Minneapolis Lodge, No. 19, in 1917-1918.

His oldest daughter, Isolde was born in 1909, so she must have been about 21 at the time of his death....old enough to question the circumstances surrounding it. Grandmother Thieck lived until about 1965, and is buried in Cedarburg, WI...Grandfather's ashes were placed with her, in her coffin.
Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek
Sent you e-mail with attached pic of Wm. Thieck and copy of newspaper clipping.......look for e-mail title: "Testing, please reply! "
Thanks,
Lori

I have no idea how to post them to site!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received Lori’s email message with the photo of William Thieck! I’m guessing that this was when he was playing with the Minneapolis Symphony:

She has some others pictures, but her scanner is currently out of commission. She mentioned that she may be able to get some other photos in the near future and her sister may also have some. I can certainly post them whenever they become available.

She also had a music critic’s review of a concert where Mr. Thieck was featured as a soloist in Minneapolis:

It’s really nice to finally put a face to William Thieck! Thanks very much Lori!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude Gordon assigned material from one of the Thieck books (I'll have to check which one next time I'm at our other house). The book was out-of-print at the time, so one of Claude's students used a Xerox machine and produced copies of Claude's personal Thieck book.

The story from the neighbor about Mr. Thieck's musically dramatic homecomings was lovely!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the addition of William Thieck’s photo, I now have an almost unbroken string of Principal Trumpet player photos from the Minnesota Orchestra / Minneapolis Symphony from 1911 to today (only missing three years from 1926 to 1929):

Thieckgirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Thieck with horn pic scanned! Reply with quote

Derek....check your e-mail for pic of Wm. Thieck with his trumpet....My sister and I both found one....forwarded hers and then sent one I had, which seems in better shape.

Due to some "divine intervention" my scanner worked for a few scans before it quit on me again....Thank you Grandpa Thieck! Was that you???
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

Thanks for sending these! Here is your original scan:

And here is the version that’s been cleaned up a little bit:

It’s always exciting for me to see older photos like these. I’m sure that someone will be able to identify the trumpet that your Grandfather is holding. The "Sheppard’s Crook" at the back of the horn is not something that you see on today’s trumpets (usually only on British style cornets). It will be interesting to hear more about his instrument from those discerning players/collectors that are knowledgeable about horns from the turn of the century.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a post in the Horns Forum looking for more details about the trumpet in the above photo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: