• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry mouthpiece consistency?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Curry mouthpiece consistency? Reply with quote

deleted because nobody addressed the question I actually asked

Last edited by geezer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the cup type and profile, the rim will feel different. My TF has a very soft inner rim and my VC has a bit sharper edge. Same size. Feels different. The TF feels like a bigger ID due to this. Guessing this is what you've been feeling. Unless you had a dot no dot issue going on. If all were of the same vintage, then the above would apply I think.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I believe that it is probably the difference in cup depth/alpha angle making them feel different at the rim.

If you think of a mouthpiece with a lower alpha angle as being a U and a mouthpiece with a higher alpha angle as being a V, you can see the difference in room at the top of the cup. Generally deeper cups have a lower alpha angle than shallower cups, but it of course depends on the individual cup shape.

If you have two mouthpieces with the same cup diameter and rim contour but a different alpha angle and cup shape, they could feel different. This is probably more noticeable to players who play with more lip intrusion, and whose lips therefore protrude further into the cup.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall resistance and the initial slope of the cup have a lot to do with how the mouthpiece feels on the face. Mark Curry has explained this in some older threads. To me, the deeper Curry cups feel like they have more bite than the shallower ones - which is actually a good thing IMO, it's nice to have a little more "cushion" sensation on a lead piece. I've played just about all the cups in the 3-dot and 1.5 series, and find them to be extremely consistent in terms of the actual metal that's making contact. Try pressing them on your chops without blowing.
http://kristiner.com
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Richard said. Because you change the Alpha angle when you change the cup, the rim feels different on the chops. The rim is actually the same, but that's only part of what you're feeling.
geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by geezer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry mouthpiece consistency? Reply with quote

geezer wrote:
I thought that Curry was using automated lathe equipment that guaranteed consistency.

At some point, we need to put the urban legend to bed. All major mouthpiece manufacturers use a CNC-driven lathe to "guarantee consistency".

That being said, I agree with what has been said about the rim. As someone already stated, Mark Curry has commented about this on this forum. I believe his comments were on this forum a year or two back.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry mouthpiece consistency? Reply with quote

Last edited by geezer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetdon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many variables, even with "identical mouthpieces".

I can take the same mouthpiece, put it in another trumpet, and the rim can "feel" different. Different leadpipe resistances, bell shapes, receiver gap, piston wear etc, will change the reflection of the waveform to the lips, and then our lips respond with a different shape or intrusion, and the perception is a different feel.

Of course there are also differences in buffing and plating from one mouthpiece to another. Not just on the rim and cup, but tiny differences in shank buffing and plating means the gap will change.

Different backbores, throat lengths, shape of the throat entrance and of course the various parameters of the cup, all change the reflection back to the lips and the perception of feeling.

I am not discounting the perceptions and experiences of the OP. Just adding that other factors come into play even when two rims measure identically when them come off the CNC lathe.

I have had good results with Curry rims and consistency.

I recall Gary Radke talking about how the important the skill of the machinist is with CNC equipment to get consistent results. GR monitors room temperature and every possible variable of mechanics and environment. My GR mouthpieces are very consistent.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this level of consistency in the rim is noticeable (and important) to you, had you considered getting those pieces cut for screw-rims and screwing the same rim on whichever you happened to want at a given time?

So much in playing is mental - if you can perceive the rims as feeling a bit different and can't prove any better, you could be talking yourself into it being a bigger deal than it needs to be... if you were using the exact same rim (screw-on) then you'd know that the rim is the same and it's everything else making the difference, which may be reassuring (or not?).

Perhaps plastic screw-rims would be a touch more consistent than brass/buffed/plated ones if you needed more than one? (Not sure, thinking out loud).
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Curry pieces are very consistent. My regular piece and its backup are identical as far as I can tell.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geezer wrote:
Thank you for all the responses.

All of the ideas that have been suggested were considered a few years ago when the problem first happened.

Curry said that the rim contours and the cup diameters were supposed to be the same because the mouthpieces fell within the same category.

The alpha angle was not responsible.
The middle cup depth seemed to have the biggest diameter and the narrowest rim.
The deepest and shallowest cups seemed to be closer to each other in rim contour and in cup diameter, but they were still different enough to feel the difference.

All 3 mouthpieces were made in the same year.

Anyway, my original post asked about a possibilty, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Hi geezer

If not alpha angle, then cup shape could be an issue, as could overall blow resistance. If you vary the resistance somewhere else in the mouthpiece (i.e. gap) or even somewhere in the horn, the mouthpiece can feel different owing to the affect of the different level of resistance tranlating to the embouchure and therefore to how the embouchure feels the rim contour.

Maybe you have been unluckly and have mouthpieces that do have different cup diameters and rim contours. Curry mouthpieces are however generally thought to be one of the better ones in terms of consistency.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by geezer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geezer wrote:
Thank you for all the responses.

All of the ideas that have been suggested were considered a few years ago when the problem first happened.

Curry said that the rim contours and the cup diameters were supposed to be the same because the mouthpieces fell within the same category.

The alpha angle was not responsible.
The middle cup depth seemed to have the biggest diameter and the narrowest rim.
The deepest and shallowest cups seemed to be closer to each other in rim contour and in cup diameter, but they were still different enough to feel the difference.

All 3 mouthpieces were made in the same year.

Anyway, my original post asked about a possibilty, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Please tell us what mouthpieces you have. I still say it is the cup profile that makes them feel different.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a bag full of Mark's mouthpieces.. very consistent.

In my experience and the shoe box full of mouthpieces I have, I put his product on the top of the charts in this regard.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by geezer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay buddy a lot of us have answered your question to the best of our ability, but you don't seem to like the answers that you are getting or something. I don't know what you want to hear, but the answer seems to be no, we have not experienced inconsistencies with curry rims. That is the answer to your question. The answer is no.

Nobody is trying to invalidate your experience though. Anything can happen in the course of manufacturing a hunk of metal. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that you got a mouthpiece with a goofed up rim. It seems unlikely, but yes it is possible.

I'm not sure what else anybody here on the Internet can possibly tell you about your situation.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geezer wrote:
Please return to my original question about what can cause a mouthpiece to be made incorrectly.
What can go wrong in the manufacturing process, such as sharpening a lathe blade rather than replacing it as Schilke said decades ago, changing from one type or brand of lathe to another type or brand of lathe, or simply how a new employee sets up a lathe slightly differently than a previous employee did?

Sounds like you already know a good deal about the process. Cutters wear out and if there's no immediate feedback the resulting pieces may vary. Back in the day forms were used to guide the lathe but that didn't adjust for a worn tool. Even with modern NC machines a worn tool can produce inaccurate parts. Only if real-time measurement is employed can a worn tool be compensated for.

Alternately I like to think that modern methods would allow for laser scanning 100% of the resulting profiles and that parts that are out of tolerance could be reworked or scrapped but I have no idea if any manufacturers actually does this.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The deepest and the shallowest of the 3 mouthpieces had small differences in rim contour and cup diameter that I might have learned to live with.
But the middle mouthpiece was different to a major degree.

Please tell us what mouthpieces you have. Why not just tell us? Pretty please.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a terribly picky guy inclined to be bothered by the minutiae of rim contours. I used to play a mishmash of Bach, Wick and Reeves mouthpieces across my various horns, and it didn't bother me... much. It worked, and I was comfortable generally.

When I started playing a lot of quintet gigs and constantly switching horns, I decided to experiment with the Curry line because I'd heard the rims were consistent. For me, Curry delivered as promised. I regularly use the 3C., 3M., 3Z., 3BBC., and 3FLD. mouthpieces, and they feel remarkably consistent on my face. Of course the blow is a bit different on each, because of variations in cup, throat, backbore and the horns themselves contribute to the equation. However, the footprint and bite of each piece feels damn near identical to me. The most noticeable improvements for me were on cornet and flugel, where the Curry rim is much softer than the Wicks I was using, and my endurance on these instruments got much better.

To summarize, the Curry rims are -- in my somewhat limited experience -- the most consistent I think I could reasonably ask for.

Side note: I never found a Curry that could beat out my Bob Reeves piccolo mouthpiece. So I live with the slightly different rim size on my picc.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: