• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The GBB Trumpet Section keeps "Flipping Out!"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:
"I was so glad when my WT, with a free new precision valve alignment came back to me . . . and I'd never consider playing a gig again without my WT or Celebration."

If I get a wild Thing, will I get a free valve alignment?

I'm sorry, it's just that after an interesting story you threw in a commercial break.

Digital Valve Alignment(including rotational)? Yes!
Bore Correction? Yes!
Noisy valve correction? Yes!
Mechanical function correction? Yes!
Finish flaw correction? Yes!
Playability inspection? Yes!

All this included in the one low price (compared to other boutique horns).
But wait, there's more!
If you call right now...

My post above was meant to be funny but, I'll give some advice if you want. Maybe you don't. After all, who the heck am I?

There are people that sell trumpets and say they are good because they make money from the sale. There are others that sell a trumpet because they played it and really think it's the best.

When a player that sells and plays a trumpet puts a commercial in with every post, the lines get blurred and then people question the validity of the post.

I have been posting here for a long time. I think Tom is sincere when he talks about how good the trumpet is. There other times where I and I'm sure others think, "here we go again".
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I took your lead about the commercial thing. You know, "Dial R-I-9..." "Ginsu Knives"?? Oh, forget it...

Btw, Zig Kanstul and Flip Oakes are the only people who profit financially from the sale of a Wild Thing, unless you count Joyce and Zig's employees.

Okay, there's the folks who sell Zig the materials. Oh, and machinery. Well, now that I think of it, the shipping guys probably profit, too...

I don't.

Sincerely,
Brian Douglas

What is this "line", anyway? Do Bach players get to cross it?

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Joe,

I took your lead about the commercial thing. You know, "Dial R-I-9..." "Ginsu Knives"?? Oh, forget it...

Btw, Zig Kanstul and Flip Oakes are the only people who profit financially from the sale of a Wild Thing, unless you count Joyce and Zig's employees.

Okay, there's the folks who sell Zig the materials. Oh, and machinery. Well, now that I think of it, the shipping guys probably profit, too...

I don't.

Sincerely,
Brian Douglas

What is this "line", anyway? Do Bach players get to cross it?

Yes the Bach guys cross it. I could mention a name but, he is already mad at me from politics on face book.

I got your joke too.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:
"I was so glad when my WT, with a free new precision valve alignment came back to me . . . and I'd never consider playing a gig again without my WT or Celebration."

If I get a wild Thing, will I get a free valve alignment?

I'm sorry, it's just that after an interesting story you threw in a commercial break.

Digital Valve Alignment(including rotational)? Yes!
Bore Correction? Yes!
Noisy valve correction? Yes!
Mechanical function correction? Yes!
Finish flaw correction? Yes!
Playability inspection? Yes!

All this included in the one low price (compared to other boutique horns).
But wait, there's more!
If you call right now...

My post above was meant to be funny but, I'll give some advice if you want. Maybe you don't. After all, who the heck am I?

There are people that sell trumpets and say they are good because they make money from the sale. There are others that sell a trumpet because they played it and really think it's the best.

When a player that sells and plays a trumpet puts a commercial in with every post, the lines get blurred and then people question the validity of the post.

I have been posting here for a long time. I think Tom is sincere when he talks about how good the trumpet is. There other times where I and I'm sure others think, "here we go again".

Yep, I'm quite sincere . . . and I ain't selling any horns either . . . just talking about a horn I fell in love with over ten years ago, one that's just as wonderful in my eyes today as it was during the honeymoon stage.

Rare indeed are players who feel that way about a horn for this long a time. Yep, I love 'em!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten years after my last post on this thread, I discovered this one.

Gone is Zig, gone is Kanstul, Flip no longer can offer his extraordinary horns and enhancements anymore.

I bought my first Wild Thing trumpet in early 2000 and my current love of that horn has never, ever changed. It still amazes me, as do my other Flip Oakes instrument and the wonderful human being that Flip is too!

What went away, was ME . . . for me was the constant sniping on this forum, including on this old thread. I rarely visit here anymore, although at first on the new TH forum in late 2001. I rose to its top poster and I spent hundreds of hours trying to help folks in many ways.

I hope things have changed here but tirelessly I did my best to help folks . . . and faced down the nameless trolls when this site wasn't moderating that kind of stuff. I got sick of the way some folks ripped the young kids mercilessly. Hopefully things are kinder now, but humanity will always be good and bad. All the best to my many old friends here. Tom
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Ten years after my last post on this thread, I discovered this one.

Gone is Zig, gone is Kanstul, Flip no longer can offer his extraordinary horns and enhancements anymore.

I bought my first Wild Thing trumpet in early 2000 and my current love of that horn has never, ever changed. It still amazes me, as do my other Flip Oakes instrument and the wonderful human being that Flip is too!

What went away, was ME . . . for me was the constant sniping on this forum, including on this old thread. I rarely visit here anymore, although at first on the new TH forum in late 2001. I rose to its top poster and I spent hundreds of hours trying to help folks in many ways.

I hope things have changed here but tirelessly I did my best to help folks . . . and faced down the nameless trolls when this site wasn't moderating that kind of stuff. I got sick of the way some folks ripped the young kids mercilessly. Hopefully things are kinder now, but humanity will always be good and bad. All the best to my many old friends here. Tom

Tom,

I hope this doesn’t count as sniping, but I don’t want Flip to lose business due to someone reading this. Based on other recent posts I believe Flip is still doing enhancements.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you back, Tom.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:

faced down the nameless trolls

Tom - trolls will always be with us - the trick is to not let the [Bad word in Latin] non carborundum.

Nice to see you posting. Still have that Boston cornet?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What went away, was ME . . . for me was the constant sniping on this forum, including on this old thread. I rarely visit here anymore, although at first on the new TH forum in late 2001. I rose to its top poster and I spent hundreds of hours trying to help folks in many ways."

Don't give up, compared to most internet forums, this one is pretty polite. We managed to get a main troll banned some years ago, and who shall remain nameless.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tom. It is great to hear from you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: