• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to- Commercially Successful Trio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: How to- Commercially Successful Trio? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I was recently let go (through no fault of my own) from a group in St. Louis that happens to get the most work of any professional band in the area. I was playing out 5-7 days a week. I was making good money with said band, usually. And I've become psychologically addicted to performing, which is a good and bad thing.

I've come to the realization that there isn't any one established group that can make up the difference in pay and hours played like the last group I played for. Moreover, I've decided to start a jazz trio. I already have 2 possible guitarists, and a bassist. I will play trumpet/cornet/flugel, and do vocals. We'll do gypsy jazz, trad-jazz, standards, and possibly some vintage rock n roll. All around great classic American music of high class. We also dress to the 9's.

Are there any tips any of you wonderful people could give me on how to make it commercially? Things to do when interacting with venue managers and booking agents? Should I join the musician's union? Common pitfalls of otherwise great musicians? I know I have the skills to make it, I just could use some general business savvy to make my dreams a reality!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to- Commercially Successful Trio? Reply with quote

Bryan, I have mixed criticism, advice, and a bit of blatantly making fun of you. Enjoy.

trumanjazzguy wrote:

...that happens to get the most work of any professional band in the area. I was playing out 5-7 days a week.

Cuz they're kinda cheap and also take advantage of guys like you.

Quote:
I was making good money with said band, usually.

Have you accounted for the toll your soul has paid for playing traditional jazz 5-7 nights a week... or the toll your face has taken playing for a group led by a guy with utterly no understanding that you needn't be vibrating your face against a piece of metal for 4 hours straight.

Quote:
Moreover, I've decided to start a jazz trio.

As surefire a get-rich-quick scheme as any.

Quote:
I already have 2 possible guitarists, and a bassist.

Pick the more reliable guitarist. Or make them fight to the death. Yeah, the second one.

Quote:
I will play trumpet/flugel...

Fixed. No cornet, Bryan. This is why we can't have nice things. Also, you don't have a flugel.

Quote:
...and do vocals.

Disallowed. You picked band in 7th grade like all the other cool kids. I mean... sure... if you must... but if I see you standing in line for American Idol I'm revoking your cool kid card.

Quote:
We'll do gypsy jazz, standards, and possibly some vintage rock n roll.

Fixed. No more trad jazz for you. Maybe just one.

Quote:
All around great classic American music of high class.

Stay classy, Bryan Fantana.

Quote:
We also dress to the 9's.

Already? You aren't even at the gig yet. Seriously though, Hawaiian shirts are the way to go. That's why all the chicks dig me. That and high notes.

Quote:
Are there any tips any of you wonderful people could give me on how to make it commercially?

Pick reliable people, then, if you can help it, never EVER count on them. Seriously... never ever count on anyone else to do anything important. If you want it done, get it done. Be reliable enough for the whole band.

Quote:
Things to do when interacting with venue managers and booking agents?

Don't talk about trumpet with them. They don't care. I know you Bryan... don't do it. Seriously.

Quote:
Should I join the musician's union?

Probably not. Unless you've got some mad classical chops and hang out with a bunch of Union guys, then you probably won't get anything out of it.

Quote:
Common pitfalls of otherwise great musicians?

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Kelly#Legal_issues
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_Ferguson#Millbrook.2C_India_and_psychedelic_spirituality
- That one time. You know what I'm talking about. Say nothing... stay classy.

Quote:
I know I have the skills to make it, I just could use some general business savvy to make my dreams a reality!

Diversify... You put all your eggs in one basket with the last band. Go hit up some jam sessions. Make connections. Show up at someone else's gig, go listen, enjoy, then introduce yourself after. If your trio works out well, it's still going to start slow.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of work with a trio just as you described,
Trumpet/ vocals(me), piano/ guitar and string bass.
I don't know what market you live in, but in any big city
There should be ample work for a really good sophisticated jazz trio.
Once you get your group established and you have got things
where you want them musically, put some really good video clips of your group on YouTube. Check out all of the nicer restaurants and wine bars and hotels
in your area. Check out their websites, and touch base with the person who is responsible for hiring the entertainment... send them the YouTube clips of your trio.
Also, send clips of your group to local booking agencies.
I happen to believe it would be a very good idea to join the union
especially if you have a really good trio that is looking for work
.... it is called networking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: