• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Talent - Too Critical?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that we are too critical of today's new trumpet players or "traditional" jazz musicians in general for that matter?

I have read articles or posts where people are critical of new talent saying that they have not said anything that has not already been said, they sound too much like Miles, if you want to hear some real playing listen to (insert name of legend here), this player's arrangements sound just like Dukes... I could go on. Then in the same breath we complain that people are not supporting or listening to jazz in it's traditional form. Instead of tearing down new talent we should applaud them for not seeking the umbrella of "market mu$ic"...

I for one find much talent and potential (when measured to the standard bearers) in cats like Nicholas Payton, Russell Gunn, Roy Hargrove, Ingrid Jenson, Ryan Kisor, Irvin Mayfield, Jermey Pelt... I could go on. Also in my opinion you cannot play the trumpet without sounding like the players you admire and listen to. That is like me trying not to be like my father. Not going to happen. I have not been playing long but if I can get a voice similar to Lee Morgan's I know I'm well on my way to finding my own.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure you have yours and I'd love to hear them.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2002-02-02 10:25 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree!! ---too quick to criticise, the guys you mention there are fantastic players and I'm really greatful there is so much good music around---besides you picked on a fave. of mine Mr.Hargrove!!! --Wow!!!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-02 11:29, dbacon wrote:
Thanks to CD's we have access to the recorded legacy of the masters. You can buy a Clifford Brown CD as readily as you could a Roy Hargrove. Lee Morgan in the same bin as Wynton. Dizzy Gillespie close to Nicholas Payton. Etc. For me, I find that I listen over and over and over again to an Art Farmer CD. Modern Art for example. That CD get's played a lot, and I keep finding new things to listen to. Miles. With so many of the re-issues and Box sets of Miles a whole new Miles can be seen. With out takes you hear how his solos are crafted, and the one we are most familiar with becomes the final product. Lee Morgan and Kenny Dorham can be listened to and continue to give great musical pleasure. Gems in the Jazz world.
I don't hear that in the "young lions" today. Jeremy Pelt has the potential. Hearing him live was something! Scott Wendholt's recordings have the same potential. I believe he will move to the next phase. Marketing a big star like Wynton caused many copy cats of Wynton rather than going through all the old masters and then finding your own voice. Dave Douglas has his own voice. Tom Harrel, John McNeil. But copies of a copy go nowhere for me. You can listen to the same Miles recording 20 times and keep finding something to hang your attention on. A nuance, turn of the line, inflection, new color you missed the last listen. With so many of the market copies you hear it once and that's more than enough. These guys certainly have fabulous technique and can play the most difficult licks with ease. But the depth of personality is not there. Chet Baker is the prime example of personality and depth of musical expression. He could say more with his one octave range than any of the market copies can with entire recordings. Nat Adderly with "Live at Memory Lane." Charles Toliver with "Paper Man." Freddie Hubbard with "Ready for Freddie." Woody Shaw "Rosewood." Kenny Dorham "Round Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia." Freddie Hubbard "Open Sesame." Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman 1953. Johnny Coles "The Warm Sound." Freddie with Herbie on Maiden Voyage. Blue Mitchell on Horace Silver's "Song for my Father." Donald Byrd, "Slow Drag" etc. etc. That's just some stuff on my listen to recently shelf. Check out the great JAZZ MUSICIANS as opposed to jazz technitians and you'll hear the difference.

Dave Bacon

Hi Dave.

I definitely see where you are coming from but in my opinion some of the names on my list have evolved to their own voice or are on their way to finding that voice. This opinion is not from a lack of listening to the great recordings you mentioned above. I agree that it is wonderful to listen to the masters and you are right on point regarding finding something new to listen to. I have played Kind of Blue for about 5 years now and I am still finding something new in each players solo. The Miles Davis/Coltrane set released by Columbia has really cool outtakes. At the same time, I take pleasure in logging the journey of new players and noticing the changes in their playing as their own voice comes through. I think Nicholas Payton is fantastic example of this and though he was definitely aided by Wynton early own his personal sound is coming through from working with people like Doc Cheatum, Clark Terry and Art Blakey.

It is tough to discuss this topic because so much is based on opinion as it should be when it comes to art. A prime example would Dave Douglas - many people love his music but I don't have a taste for it at all. I purchased Witness and I just cannot get into it. Great playing sure but I don't flow with his group. But, different strokes for different folks.

It is good to hear someone besides myself mention Jeremy Pelt. I have two recording with him as a sideman and I am in search of others. I would love to check him out live and look forward to the day when he moves to leader of a group (if it hasn't already happened). I am also going to checkout some of the other names you mentioned.

Enjoy the Super Bowl! I'm praying it won't be a blowout.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-03 22:50, dbacon wrote:
When Wynton came on the scene, we seemed to lose Woody Shaw...........

Dave Bacon

I don't understand what you mean Dave. Can you elaborate?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I could be way off base on this one, but since jazz is a constantly changing thing, don't you have to take each recording and performance on it's own and for what it is in that moment in time. A recording is a snapshot of a moment in time in a studio. I don't know about anyone else, but it's always easier playing for a crowd and the crowd itself can have as much influence on the performance as everything else. A person would almost have to be at every gig for a while for a single player before you could really form a real opinion.

Just last night I was on a gig and one of the players who doesn't normally solo opened up with this incredible ride. It was way above what we usually hear from him, so does that all of a sudden make him a great soloist? Well, for that snapshot in time he sure as heck was. Overall? It's hard to say.

Even with classical music, you can hear the influences of earlier composers in a composer's work so of course we are going to hear influences of the older cats' music in the new soloists. Take each one for what they are and don't put too much into it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mistrad37

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great couple of musicians from around here that have there own unique sound and play there own music:

Mark Busselli
Tim Hagans

Of course the list could go on forever, these are just a few that came to my mind right away. As far as I am concerned, every player needs to keep in touch with the roots of Jazz. Jazz is one of those special languages that can only truly be expressed by its creators. I do however feel that people can recreate the language in their own right. No one is ever going to play like bird, diz, miles, rollins, or any other great ever again. It was truly unique and innovational at the time. These days it seems like there hasn't been an innovation in the musical world since Pearl Jam and Nirvana in the early 90's. It is dissapointing that there hasn't been anymore than that. Hopefully Jazz will continue to live on, but that is another story.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Woody Shaw's work seems to have been lost as Wynton's seems to rise. Rosewood, Woody 3 have taken a back seat to Wynton in popularity. As one emerged one submerged. I hope the recorded legacy of Woody Shaw is not lost on the trumpet community.

Dave Bacon

That's what I thought you meant but I wasn't sure. Unfortunately that is the case for several great players from back in the day. I agree that it is a shame.

Take some comfort in this - because of our dialog and your mention of Woody Shaw I just ordered "The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw" from Mosaic Records. It includes Rosewood, Woody Three, United and For Sure. I can't wait for it to arrive and get an "education".
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what Dave is talking about is the business of jazz and the marketing of jazz. Selling art like a commodity is never a happy marriage.

In the '70s and '80s Columbia was virtually the only major label (meaning with big pockets for budget) doing jazz. They felt that they needed to have a limited number of jazz artists assigned to their label and that these artists all needed to have a marketing angle. When that marketing angle was exhausted the shelf life had expired & they would cut that artist loose and get another and begin the promotion process again. When Wynton came along he was the most marketable thing Columbia had ever seen in jazz. He was young/gifted/black, articulate, and he could both play jazz and classical music well. They cut Woody loose from his contract to make room. A similar thing happened around the same time with Freddie and Columbia (making room for Terumasa Hino, if I recall).

Most people never think about the business aspects of jazz and jazz recording and how that shapes our perception of jazz history.

p.s. I was spending a good bit of time with Woody at that point in history. He never got over the emotional crush of being axed from Columbia. I think that that (plus a recent divorce and some other personal things) really fueled his return to drugs and began his decline that resulted in his eventual death.

Writing this makes me very sad. He was really a very nice guy at heart.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-02-04 20:06 ]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Shaw was one of the most radical trumpeters I heard back in the late 60's when I was stationed at a Naval Hospital in Yokuska Japan (during the Vietnam War). His recording with Horace Silver (Cape Verdean Blues) was so far ahead of its time as to totally reconfigure - Miles not withstanding - my understand of where modern jazz was heading.

Any younger trumpeters who have overlooked this jazz giant would do well to check out Wood's fine recordings. By the way, I believe Woody was 18 years old when he recorded with Horace Silver. When I was that age I was still struggling to get my chops together.

Barry

[ This Message was edited by: barryj1 on 2002-02-05 19:33 ]
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Shaw is, in my opinion, the last great innovator in jazz trumpet. Woody Shaw did exactly what a jazz musician is supposed to do. He not only mastered the traditions of jazz, but he also expanded on them as well. Long before Wynton came along, Woody Shaw stressed the importance of knowing and studying the traditions of jazz. I believe that Woody named his son after Louis Armstrong. In an interview I read, he was asked how he learned to play like he did. His response was that you needed to have a foundation, and further stated that bebop is the foundation of modern jazz. When I hear him play, it's obvious that he knows the language of bebop, even though when you analyze his solos, his lines often don't correlate with the changes being played. He created a language all his own, which is something very few players really do.

It's just a shame that someone like Woody Shaw (or for that matter, Kenny Dorham or Fats Navarro) is so respected by his peers while at the same time is ignored by just about everyone else.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave:

Was there a name to the Fats CD that you saw? I didn't see anything that was new, maybe I missed it. There's also a Charlie Parker CD called, "Bird and Bebop" on Rhino records that has Fats playing. It was supposedly recorded live one week before he died. The sound quality is poor, but Fats' playing is outstanding. Worth getting if you don't have it!

Brent
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-29 14:26 ]
boricuatrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to everyone that like the old and the new about jazz. i just gotta say that these cats that play the jazz for today are the ones who changed the way people listen to jazz. hold on let me make it clear. how young people listen to jazz. i never knew how many youngins listen to jazz. the jazz from the golden days was good, the best. that was the begging of a new style of music. the fathers of the jazz were the ones who changed the style of just the regular big band jazz. came up with styles way ahead of their time. the one and only misled davis was the one who created the fast tempo bebop style. using the modal chords. that was to fast for that time, but the cat made dough. he made jazz what it is today. now with the new talents of today these cats gave the jazz we listen today a spark, somthinf different, something thatwill connect to the young ones. im probably talking like if im old, but i am only 19.
these new cats changed the style of a bebop, changed the modal chords.
the group called the roots, they invented a different style of jazz to connect with the young cats of today. they came up with the concept of acid jazz. mixng the jazz with the hip hop. mostly vocal lyrics, but just the style of having jazz and hip hop together was of the hook. these cats are from philly. they came out to the scene in the mid 90's and they still kick it today.
nicholas payton is another young cat who's style of playing is different from way back of the old days. he has that new orleans style mixed with the bebop style. you can tell the style sounds new orleans but you can also tell that the style has the hard core bebop style as well.
another trumpet player that has playing since the 70's but he got his breakthrough in the u.s.a in the 90's, is arturo sandoval. he changed the whole style of latin jazz. his idle was dizzy gillespie, but he took dizzy's style of latin jazz and took another step. changing the kick of it and put that up tempo, latin bebop styles, using synthesizers, playing 3 or 4 instruments like his trumpet. piano, timbales, bass, and sometimes the synthesizer. this cat has the music high even when he is not playing. i had the opportunity to see my idle and i got to see him do all of that. he is the man for the latin jazz scene and also classical. he has changed how we listen to every type of styles of music. from jazz to his famous style of latin jazz to the style of ballads to salsa to hip hop. yes hip hop, but the album hasnt come out. one love to the musicians in the world, one love and one life.
music is my high. music makes my world go 'round. music makes my life go at the pace i wanna go. music makes me the person i was before, now and in the future. humble, smart, outgoing, determined, inspiried, motivated, love and life. music has done alot f
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: