• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke B3 vs Calicchio 1s/2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Schilke B3 vs Calicchio 1s/2? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these two horns?

I was wondering how they compared in terms of playability (ease of play/efficiency, slotting, intonation, etc.).

Thanks!

Ken

P.S. In case anyone is interested, I will be selling my B3 later today to make room for a Shires CVLA.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve only ever played these two horns briefly, so I only have basic impressions of how they feel to play. The Calicchio is made with a quite long tube joining the bell to the first valve. Some have said this is nickel silver, but I just viewed an image of a brushed brass 1S/2 which had this ferrule in brass.

Anyway, I wonder if it is this piece that gives Calicchio trumpets their stiff feeling. Every one that I have tried has had a rigidity about it that was so different to what I’m used to that it put me off. That is, all but one, which was an all copper trumpet made by John Duda, I think. It felt very friendly to me, much like my Benge, or your Schilke.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my Schilke many years ago after having some difficulty with it.
Much prefer my Calicchio 1s7 (never liked the 2 actually) much more.
I typically don't do well with reverse lead pipes in general, and couldn't find
a backbore combination that was responsive enough.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Schilke B3 versus Calicchio 1S2 Reply with quote

Hello all,
This response is convoluted. I have owned a L 3/9 and a 1S that I had played with a 2,7, and 9 pipes. I also own a B2, B3 and S33HD. The L 3/9 took a whole lot more air than I had in comparison to the B3. In trial of the 3 pipes with the 1S, the 7 pipe felt OK, I could never find the 2 pipe comfortable, but the 9 seemed to balance well with that horn. I really like the blow and feel of my B3, though I can feel the bore size above the staff in comparison to my B2. Getting back to the Calicchio. I believe the venturi's for the 2,7,9 are .348, .344 and .349 respectively. The Schilke is a .341.
It would stand for some reasoning, that the 2 or 9 pipe would compensate a ML horn to the B3 which is a straight .463 large bore horn. Both of my Calicchios were Dominic horns, and my B2 and B3 are early 70's horns.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a 70's B3b and multiple Calicchio 1S/2's from all eras. These horns are both excellent instruments, but at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of feel. The B3, to me, felt very easy to play, and had a pure trumpet sound. Intonation was excellent and it had more room for manipulating intonation and timbre than a Calicchio. The 1S/2, on the other hand, has a very sweet sound when played softly, but absolutely lights up when you lean into it. Intonation is good, but not quite at the same level as Schilke, and the feel is very "locked in", which can be unforgiving. Most Calicchio's have thinner bells than Schilke, which is part of what gives them the "sizzle" they're known for. I wouldn't say that the 1S is a particularly "bright" trumpet, as the sound is full and present without being shrill or pointed. It's a great horn for commercial, jazz, broadway, or studio work, especially when playing the lead part. The B3 is an excellent all-around trumpet, and while it is a little less specialized than the 1S, I'd be comfortable playing it in any situation.

The short version would be:
Schilke B3 - easy to play, excellent intonation, loose slots, great all-around instrument
Calicchio 1S/2 - locked-in slots, lots of sizzle, very present upper register, excellent trumpet for lead playing

One other thing worth mentioning, Schilke valves are (in my opinion) far superior to Calicchio in terms of fit, feel, and reliability.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Calicchio 1s2 and tried a Schilke B3. The Calicchio 1s2 has a brighter sound, faster response, and more efficiency for me. The Calicchio felt lighter too. The Schilke had a beautiful darker sound and seemed more versatile but wasn’t as efficient for me. Both were easy to play and felt like quality made trumpets.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both horns. I agree that the Calicchio 1s2 was somewhat brighter, but my Schilke B3L wasn't a lot darker and would light up nicely when I leaned on it. They were both great horns, but I liked the Schilke better.

I say were great horns because I sold them both and now I'm playing a "47 Chicago Benge that I like even better.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses, guys! Lots of food for thought. I think I may try a 1s/2 someday. I loved the sound of my B3, but the slotting was an issue. The only reason I'm hesitating pulling the trigger on the Calicchio is the possible intonation problem...and the fact that I have a Shires in the works (I think).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: