• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Six Notes - how long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natchezz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the six note exercise repeats once, making it actually twelve notes.

Do you then play the 12-note exercise over and over until your muscles are really burning and you can't get a sound to come out the horn, or 20 minutes whichever comes first?

If yes, is that the general idea with all the CC exercises?

I appreciate your help.
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six notes should be played twice through, making twelve notes total. My teacher, a student of Carmine's, suggests alternating forte and piano (forte G, piano G#, forte A, etc...) on the repeat to make it a little more interesting.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - on the six notes lsl and sls. should they be repeated( 6 notes or 12 notes)?

J. Freedman,Jr
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 notes exercise should be repeated once (for a total of 12 notes). The remaining time in the 20 minute session Bugleboy talks about should be filled with other Caruso exercises. You should work up to this by adding them in the manner Charly talks about in the "Getting Started" thread.

Repeating 6 notes for 20 minutes suggests to me that you think these studies are about embouchure strengthening. They aren't. You should carefully read every thread in this forum and the text portions of Musical Calisthenics For Brass.

I think cgooding's teacher has modified Carmine's exercise. I have never heard of that variation (although Carmine personalized things for every student-it's possible). The only way I ever encountered dynamics on the 6 notes was the SLS and LSL variations.

As for those, Jerry, he had me repeat them (for a total again of 12 notes per exercise). However, I had friends who he specifically told not to use repeats on the SLS & LSL variations on 6 notes.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-02-04 20:20 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on everything you wrote, Pat. Regarding the SLS and LSL Six Notes. The Musical Calisthenics book does not have repeats and Carmine told me it wasn't necessary to repeat them. I can't imagine it hurting in any way, just unnecessary.

I would expect Carmine would be less than approving of making a dynamic exercise out of the Six Notes since he covers dynamics with the SLS and LSL exercises. One thing he wasn't concerned with, IMO, was how interesting the exercises would be. If you were doing some form physical therapy for rehab would it matter that the exercises be interesting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: