• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Benge Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Old Benge Mouthpiece Reply with quote

The original mouthpiece that came with my very early 70's 3X does not have a size on it. It just says "...Benge Custom LA Cal..." Does anyone know what size it would be equivalent to?

Thanks

LA Benge 3X+
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that one. They use to pack their version of a 7C. The only way to tell is to measure it as see what it mics out to and then look it up om a Bach chart.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Benge MP Reply with quote

Eldon had them made for him. I have one. It is really small..in dia., depth etc
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread Ken, but MY new early LA Benge, # 9727, a 3X, ML did come with a Benge Custom mouthpiece. I bought it at Art's Music in Dothan Alabama in very early '74 They also had a new Benge MLP 3X in stock but the specimen I bought was magic! It also came with a new BENGE CUSTOM mouthpiece but I didn't pay it much attention.

I still have the mouthpiece, and it is definitely BEFORE the time when King/Benge rolled out the common Benge mouthpieces around a year or two later, before the UMI purchase ruined Benge horns. They had italic stampings and the new Italicized Benge logo and looked a lot like Bach clones and were labeled such as : BENGE 7C, etc.

HOWEVER, my '73 Benge came with the mouthpieces stamped such as **** BENGE CUSTOM L.A. CALIF **** I call it a "four star model, because I also have another *** BENGE CUSTOM L.A. CALIF *** which must denote a different size or configuation. I bought it in the '80s used at a music store.

BACK TO THE MEASUREMENTS OF MY BENGE CUSTOM FOUR START: I had it measured and it is a good old .625 inner cup mouthpiece. The rim is pretty flat without a severe crown, and the cup is deep, such as a D cup. It is a wonderful sounding piece! I played that set up during my years as an Army trumpeter and the into college and beyond.

I've not measured the other Benge Custom mouthpiece I have but it IS different for sure. It is probably about the same rim inner diameter, but it blows much tighter, probably a 27 drill, and it isn't "magic" like the **** version. Hope this helps

PS: The link to a '72 price sheet, WITH accessories listed too is attached. Mine came with the black single case, Benge mouthpiece, thumb and ring hooks, AND a Benge kit with extra corks, felts, grease, cheesecloth, valve oil, etc. And indeed, Benge DID offer these things on their factory price lists at the time I bought mine! Sadly, I've never seen literature denoting what the **** meant as it related to cup size, rim shapes, backbore throats, etc. Alas, I fear that information is long lost now.

https://everythingtrumpet.com/gearhead/Images/BengePriceListFront.GIF
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Old Benge mouthpiece Reply with quote

I bought a Benge 5x in early '74, serial number in the 10 thousands and it had a mouthpiece, too but I don't remember whether it had Italic markings or not. I had it for some years not playing it much and one evening before our city band had a concert in the park one of the young men that grew up there and used to come back from the twin cities to play once in a while damaged his mouthpiece before we started the concert. I got him the Benge to use and he loved it. He said it felt like his Bach 7c but was a bit more comfortable and "warm" to him. He wanted it in the worst way after the concert and I told him to take it but he ended up sending me two Jet Tone mpcs. They were fun but I played a Bach 1c for so long it was tough to adjust to something else. I wish I could remember what was stamped on the side of that mouthpiece!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: