• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

articulation question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottinvt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: articulation question Reply with quote

I'm an "advanced intermediate" player with pretty good tone. I was told last night in no uncertain terms that my articulation needs work. What is the most efficient way to practice this, to get my attack clean on every note? I know there are many methods but what has worked best for you? Thanks
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts -
1) Clarke Technical Studies is a great method for this. I recommend that every two weeks you play one exercise, in all keys, each day alternating one of the following articulations:
- slur all
- single-tongue
- slur two/tongue two
- K-tongue
- double tongue
- triple tongue
After two weeks go to a different exercise. It's a grind but it works.

2) Get a teacher. Some times the fastest way to a good result is to have it modeled for you, up close and personal.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
scottinvt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Clarke exercises Reply with quote

Thanks, Charles.

Wow, that's some serious shed time. Just to clarify: you said each Clarke exercise in every key - as opposed to throughout the range, as Clarke wrote them? For example exercise #1 covers two octaves. Did you mean the entire two octaves? Six times through for the six articulations you listed?

I'd be lucky to finish just the all-slurred one through high C with good rhythm and tone. Well, obviously you're building endurance and range, too, with these. But now I know what I've gotta do.

I'm in the process of getting a teacher - a good one, whom I've had before.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarke exercises Reply with quote

scottinvt wrote:
...Wow, that's some serious shed time. Just to clarify: you said each Clarke exercise in every key - as opposed to throughout the range, as Clarke wrote them? For example exercise #1 covers two octaves. Did you mean the entire two octaves? Six times through for the six articulations you listed?...

To clarify I'm suggesting that each day you play just a single Clarke exercise with a single articulation. As written each exercise starts on the lowest key and advances upward by half steps and most folks continue upward as high as they can reasonably execute. I don't advocate any more than that. I also don't feel compelled to play all the prescribed repeats though sometimes I do when the mood strikes. Also sometimes I find it useful to start somewhere in the middle register and expand outward alternately playing higher then lower. Played at a modest tempo with reasonable rest after each key takes a bit of time but not at all unreasonable for the return on investment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teacher will be the best help.

My advice to you without hearing you is to listen to great trumpet players (probably classical players for this particular purpose: Phil smith, MAURICE ANDRE!!! etc....as mentioned above, it's better for live demonstration, but this will get you started).

Let your brain gather the ideal articulation, through listening, to form a conglomerate which you can access (in your brain).

After you have figured out what the "ideal" articulation sounds like, when you go to "practice" your articulation, don't settle for anything less than what you think is the "perfect" articulation. Granted, you won't be 100% successful at the get go, but really strive for a beautiful articulation followed by a great sound.

No matter how much you practice, if you are letting "garbage" go, then you'll end up with "garbage" articulation...and that applies for any particular skill on trumpet. Bad habits will remain bad habits unless you make the effort to correct the course.

The reason I put "practice" in quotes above is because you have already figured out that every time you start a note, you are "practicing" articulation. Take a second before you play to really hear the note, imagine the articulation and beautiful sound. Let the air out freely and relaxed...without tension. Keep it simple and free to start in the mid/comfortable register, so you can stay relaxed and not struggle with more than one thing at once.

Good luck!
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: simply Reply with quote

Simply.
Practice taking a breath, and at the peak of your inhalation, exhale, with no lag. Learn how to inhale and exhale as one.
Then, with the horn, inhale and begin the strike of the first note, again, at the peak of your inhalation, and learn how to actually make the strike as you inhale, in mind, as one. Use a metronome, and practice ur inhale3 beats to the strike on 4..then learn to inhale at various beats and strike on the last, all as one. Use a tee attack for this.
scottinvt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated thanks to those who responded - all very good ideas, which I'll put into "practice."
chris326

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

play into a stand in a dry sounding room... that should make things easier to identify
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: