• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying Jet Tone Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdanv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Identifying Jet Tone Mouthpieces Reply with quote

So I have a couple jet tone mouthpieces, an Al Hirt M and a DS. My question is, since jet tone seemed to offer a few different blanks, how does one determine the era in which a particular mouthpiece was manufactured? Thanks.
GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Al Hirt M is a reproduction. The originals were Al Hirt A, B, C and D.

I can't be sure about the DS. In the reproduction line there was a "DS." In the Ratzenberger era there were four versions: DS A, B, C and D.

Here are few clues that might help you identify JT pieces:

1. The Jet-Tone logo on the Ratzenberger era pieces were in italics and the tops of the two "T's" joined to form a single line. The reproductions are not italicized and the log is not hyphenated. The "T's" are separate.

2. Most of the Ratzenberger era pieces had a brushed finish (not all but most). All of the reproduction pieces that I have seen have a glossy finish.

3. The stamping of the logo and name of the piece are very straight and consistent on the reproduction pieces. Portions of the stamping on the originals was hand stamped. For this reason the spacing (horizontally and vertically) was often irregular.

[edit]
4. If it comes in a cardboard box that is red, black and gold it is a reproduction. The originals came in a clear plastic box with a plastic cap on one of the ends.

5. I have seen some reproductions with a hyphenated logo (I have one) but I have never seen a reproduction with an italicized logo.

I have a lot of JT pieces and these rules hold true for all of them. However, don't be surprised if there are exceptions out there. I believe the JT logo to be the most reliable feature to go by.
Yamaha Allegro

Last edited by GiveItOne on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the "DS" is some sort of Doc Severinsen model. I had a Severinsen actually labaled "Severinsen Custom" a few years back, which I believe was an original model from the Ratzenberger era. The DS may be a reproduction.
bs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a JetTone DS back in the day...it was a copy of Dave Stahl's mouthpiece.
GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DS" stood for Doc Severinsen in both the originals and the reproductions. The difference is that the reproduction has only "DS."

The reproduction Dave Stahl was marked "SS" (not sure why). The original Dave Stahl was marked "Stahl" and came in A, B, C and D rims as did many others.

This causes a lot of confusion. The DS and Stahl models were nearly identical in both the originals and the reproductions when comparing same era pieces.

Here is good link to see the designations for most of the JT's:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sVV3xAD3A3oJ:www.freemanmusic.com/mpsize/jtone.html+jet+tone+%22Doc+severinsen%22&cd=16&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Yamaha Allegro
bigdanv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the responses! Based on the information here I'd guess that the DS is also a reproduction. It has the matte finish, italicized/hyphenated logo with the connecting T's, but it just says DS. As I understand it, DS without A, B, C, or D was not a designation for the older pieces. Either way, I like the way both of them play very much.
GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdanv wrote:
Thanks very much for the responses! Based on the information here I'd guess that the DS is also a reproduction. It has the matte finish, italicized/hyphenated logo with the connecting T's, but it just says DS. As I understand it, DS without A, B, C, or D was not a designation for the older pieces. Either way, I like the way both of them play very much.

I'm not so sure. Like I mentioned, there are some exceptions. However, I've never seen a reproduction with an italicized logo and connecting "T's." Can you PM me a photo of the logo?

I have a large collection of MF's. All of them have "Custom Model" between the JT logo and "MF" except one. It just has MF like the reproductions but it is definitely an original because I know the history of this one. So there are exceptions.
Yamaha Allegro
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years a variety of Jet Tone Severinsens and DS mouthpieces have been in my possession. They could be listed as follows;

Jet Tone Severinsen Model Getzen (came with the trumpet)
Jet Tone Severinsen Model
DS A
DS B
DS C
DS D
DS.

I've played all, but the DS D. From my experience the Severinsen tagged mouthpieces were a tad bigger than the DS A-B-C-D models. The Severinsen is a 42/64 .656 inner diameter and the DS A-B-C-D models were more in the .640 range. Perhaps that is more about consistency and the small sample I've owned. The cups were similar.

The later DS model, post Ratzenberger, is a nice mouthpiece, but different than the Severinsens and DS lettered models. The cup was changed a bit. The Severinsen has a more pronounced second cup leading to the throat. It's sort of a small v shape after a traditional bowl. The DS models I've seen don't have this feature.
GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
Over the years a variety of Jet Tone Severinsens and DS mouthpieces have been in my possession. They could be listed as follows;

Jet Tone Severinsen Model Getzen (came with the trumpet)
Jet Tone Severinsen Model
DS A
DS B
DS C
DS D
DS.

I've played all, but the DS D. From my experience the Severinsen tagged mouthpieces were a tad bigger than the DS A-B-C-D models. The Severinsen is a 42/64 .656 inner diameter and the DS A-B-C-D models were more in the .640 range. Perhaps that is more about consistency and the small sample I've owned. The cups were similar.

The later DS model, post Ratzenberger, is a nice mouthpiece, but different than the Severinsens and DS lettered models. The cup was changed a bit. The Severinsen has a more pronounced second cup leading to the throat. It's sort of a small v shape after a traditional bowl. The DS models I've seen don't have this feature.

Thanks for the detailed, real-world DS info. I've really never had anything to go by excluding the website I listed above.

Much appreciated.
Yamaha Allegro
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
I have an original DS model. The mouthpiece is inscribed: JET-TONE CUSTOM MODEL DS. It has a brushed finnish.The original clear plasctic box that it came in has no indication of which rim it is. The DS personal model had a B rim if I'm not mistaken, and the B was not indicated on the original mouthpieces. Also, in comparing the DS to the Stahl versions, the Severinsen model in my opinion had a more Bach type cup, and rim shape than the majority of the Jet-Tone line.

Pete
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in finding a jettone with JETTONE SEVERINSEN MODEL engraved on the side of the rim, if you have one that you would part with, kindly email me. merlejenkins@sympatico.ca

Thanks, trumpaholic
bigdanv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm camera-less at the moment and I can't get a picture of good enough quality to be of any help. Hopefully I'll find one to borrow and post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the responses!
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
I am interested in finding a jettone with JETTONE SEVERINSEN MODEL engraved on the side of the rim, if you have one that you would part with, kindly email me. merlejenkins@sympatico.ca

Thanks, trumpaholic

I believe Patrick Mouthpieces (formerly a division of LOUD Mouthpieces) does a version of this:

http://patrickmouthpieces.com/

It would be the 5Z model.
md-jones
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine says: JET-TONE DS, so I am guessing that it is one of the newer models.

I also have a 6A, which is definitely an original.
gchun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had purchased 3 Jet Tone trumpet mpcs (& 1 flugel) in the last 1970s.

6b shiny silverplated
3c shiny goldplated
3d brushed silver plated

T-3 flugel -shiny silverplated

All were purchased from the Fairfield, Conn address and came in the clear plastic boxes.

Regrettably, I either sold or gave them all away.

Here's a scan of one of the 1970's catalogs:

GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

md-jones wrote:
Mine says: JET-TONE DS, so I am guessing that it is one of the newer models.

I also have a 6A, which is definitely an original.

If the Jet-Tone logo is in italics and the "T's" are joined at the top it is a Ratzenberger.

Can you post or PM a photo?
Yamaha Allegro
markchuvala
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back, I met a machinist that worked for Ratzenberger (spelling) and had a lot of gold plated jet-tones from the custom series. I bought 'em all thinking it was a good investment.

I have 1-8 in most of the A-B-C-and D rims. These are great pieces. i-4 had the same rim size but deeper cups, and 5-8 the same. and different rim shapes were the letters.

I also think they were all 28 holes.

Woodwind and Brasswind bought the company back in the early 90s, I believe. I was working there. Sue Shocky ( a flute player) was in charge of the company. She wanted to streamline models, and have less pieces and a numbering system that made more sense to her...hence new model numbers.

She worked with Rance Kay and Danny Barber to come up with sizes and models. And In my opinion made them all WAY to large compared to the older ones. There was lots of inconsistencies with sizing back in the Ratzenberger days. He made lots of custom stuff, but never stamped the mouthpieces. I think this is where alot of confusion came from. That and the original machining pieces where so worn from years of use, that they came out larger, and the rim shapes were never right.

I came up with the idea of the "vintage' line. Which were some pieces made to the smaller specs of some of the popular models. But they never came out quite right either.

I see origanal Doc jet-tones on ebay from time to time with different markings, sometimes just DOC SEVERINSON, sometimes DS with A-B-C-or D rims...not sure what his personal model/rim was.

Mark
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how good this will show up here. I have two of these with 28 drill throats.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2599.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2617.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2605.jpg
GiveItOne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
Not sure how good this will show up here. I have two of these with 28 drill throats.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2599.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2617.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/trumpaholic/100_2605.jpg

Nice looking mpc. Sure looks like a Ratzenberger. Sorry that I don't know where to find one for you. I really don't know much about the Severinsen models.

Yours looks like it is actually gold plated. Of course it is difficult to tell for sure in a photo but it sure looks like it. Is the finish original?

All of the gold Jet-Tones that I have from that era are gold tone. They look gold but are not plated in actual gold. This was typical for JT's of that era. I do have an MF that I've had gold plated but it started out silver.
Yamaha Allegro
Mitoedit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have five "Severinsen" pieces including three "Jet-Tone + Getzen" designations, one trumpet, one flugel, one cornet, and none of the five have a joined TT. One DS D model does have the joined TT.

If there are "Severinsen" models circulating with a joined TT, this is another fascinating indicator or the individual art of the Ratzenberger efforts.

Mitoedit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: