• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying Jet Tone Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the DS model without a letter was the Dave Stahl model. I had one which was marked that on the packaging.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iMEHat1PXV0 Playing Maynard's "Hey There"
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that it was for Doc Severinsen

i had one back in the 70s
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Dave's piece had "D Stahl" on the rim.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, I've seen the Stahl model is marked 'SS' and the Severinsen marked 'DS' They are both quite different pieces. The DS is like a very comfortable 5C - most cats probably couldn't play the stuff Doc did with those chops on that type of piece.I know two serious pro classical players who had the DS jet-tone duped in a different blank so their colleagues wouldn't make fun of them playing a jet-tone..lol. The Stahl jet-tone is a great lead/high note piece. Smaller diameter shallow cup. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Jet-Tone's Reply with quote

A bit of Jet-Tone history is in order. Bill Ratzenberger owned a club in Connecticut and partnered with Ray Amado making the first Jet-Tone mouthpieces. The concepts were entirely Ray's and his love of Harry James led to the Jet-Tone cup design which stemed from the Parduba double cup design favored by James. Not quite as severe a double cup but similar in concept, the mouthpieces were being played by many top line players including Maynard, Bill Chase and Doc Severinsen. At the time, the Getzen Eterna Severinsen model was quite popular and Getzen included the Severinsen model Jet-Tone with some horns sold including a somewhat shallow flugelhorn mouthpiece with Severinsen's name stamped on it. For what it's worth, the Severinsen Jet-Tone was basically a Bach 5C which is what he played prior (and variations of today). The Al Hirt model was quite a wide rim and had the semi double type cup. The T-3 model and the Studio model were a couple of the early models sold and Ray Amado designed a unique system for copying rims and cups for players. Ten times larger than the mouthpiece itself, Ray traced the rim and cup on 1/4 inch aluminum plate and devised a machine similar to the one on one key duplicating machines in use at the time and reduced the chance of an error by ten times. Of course this was way before CNC technology came along. There were some shenanigans going on money-wise and Ray saw fit to "divorce" his partner and move on to other things leaving the business to Ratzenberger. Not being the superb technician that Ray Amado was, it's not too far of a stretch to explain the downturn in quality with Jet-Tone mouthpieces after Ray left the company. The Amado waterkey came after that along with consultation on both Getzen and DEG trumpet design. Living only four more years after receiving a heart transplant, Ray's son continued the waterkey business until turning it over to Allied Supply this year.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony

thanks for the history

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
utkwhite@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a jet tone that im trying to identify.
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: PB model Reply with quote

I recently acquired a couple of unusual JTs. A PB (Pete Barbuti?) and a Short Shank 3C with a deep V cup. Anyone have any knowledge of these models?
1962 Quesnon Flugel
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that the PB is a custom model and the 3C is for a flugelhorn.
Bill W
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right on the PB but the 3C is a trumpet shank, just about a ¼ “ shorter than a standard Ratz JetTone.
1962 Quesnon Flugel
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it could have been altered by the owner. I've heard that some players ordered a reamer with their mpcs and did "custom" work. I have 2 JT Custom model 1Bs and the backbores are different and the unmodified backbore one is 1/8 inch shorter! Both are silver plated as are most of the Custom series I've seen. I also have a Custom model 1A cornet mpc that's gold plated. The Studios are the ones I've seen with a brushed finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: