• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

University of Southern Mississippi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: University of Southern Mississippi Reply with quote

Has anyone studied with or have any personal experience with Dr. Bergman?
I know he's a Michigan grad and was very competitive in his days as a grad student. Anyone know anything about the university music department at Southern Miss?
mjb6689

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student at the University of Michigan, I had the pleasure of being in the studio with Jason Bergman for 3 years. Although I never took lessons from him, I would frequently play audition lists for him to get his insights, which were always incredibly helpful. As a member of the studio, he always led by example, being impeccably perpared, and professional. Additionally, he was my quintet coach my junior year, and I really loved his teaching style! He's quite good at conveying complex ideas, and does so in a way that's honest, constructive and uplifting.

On a non-trumpet related note, Jason is one of the finest individuals I've ever known. For example, last summer I suffered a high ankle sprain, and was on crutches for a while. With the crutches I couldn't carry my trumpet case, so Jason lent me his back-pack strap Marcus Bonna case for the entire summer!

As far as the music dept. at Southern Miss. I don't know a great deal about the department on the whole. However, I do know that Jason took a trumpet ensemble to compete at NTC in March. They sounded absolutely incredible, and most deservedly, advanced to the finals.

I hope my comments were helpful!
jb tpt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the comment above. Jason Bergman is a monster player and teacher. I too have played audition lists for him and the attention to detail in his comments is awesome. He is one of the most positive individuals I have ever met, which comes through in his teaching.

As for the school, I know Jason is doing great things for the trumpet studio. He brought in Ethan Bensdorf as well as other artists and the USM trumpet ensemble made finals at NTC.
joenibley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: I whole-heartedly endorse Dr. Bergman! Reply with quote

I agree with the previous comments--Jason is one of the kindest, most caring people I have ever met. I have known him since 2003, when we were both working on undergraduate degrees. A few years later, he encouraged me to audition at and attend Michigan, where I have grown immensely. Though our time at Michigan didn't overlap, he has always been a big brother-figure to me and has given insightful feedback when I've played excerpts or solos for him (were it not for the closeness of my relationship to him, I would audition for the DMA program there in a heartbeat). His knowledge of the trumpet and literature and his ability to teach is shown through his students, who have far exceeded expectations in the short time he's been at USM (as mentioned above, his students' trumpet ensemble made the final round at the NTC in their first appearance in the competition). In addition to his success as a teacher, I want to mention briefly that while a student at Michigan he played principal trumpet in the Saginaw Bay Symphony and 2nd trumpet in the Ann Arbor Symphony (second only to his teacher, Professor Campbell), as well as associate principal trumpet in the Santiago, Chile Philharmonic for a summer; and when he moved to Hattiesburg he promtply won the principal trumpet positions in the Mobile and Gulf Coast Symphonies. He is meticulous both in his playing and teaching, a credit to his training, dedication and love of the trumpet and trumpet music. I fully endorse Jason as a teacher and player. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.
Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information guys. I have a lesson on the 8th of August down there and I'm really excited. Maybe one more bump to see if I can dredge anymore info up.
MNitchie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vv

Last edited by MNitchie on Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young USM was THE school for band directors--that was in the Joe Barry Mullins era. I don't know how it is now, but I studied at USM 1975-77 and part of 1980. It was a very good music school, especially for music ed majors. I had excellent teachers--Allan Cox, and Michael Tunnell, who was his grad assistant. The marching band has a strong reputation. I transferred and finished my degree at BYU, which was a better fit for my lifestyle and career goals (and didn't require marching band for music scholarships), but I have nothing but good to say about the music program at USM during my time there. Well, except for the string class--I still have nightmares about that! I have many friends who went to USM that have done well in the business--Steve Wiest (Maynard's trombone player and now director of the UNT 1:00 band), Tom Smith III (founder of the Unifour jazz ensemble and now teaching and gigging in Europe) and several other guys who went on to successful gigs with service bands or teaching careers. No idea how things are there now, but if tradition has held, it is likely still a very good school for music.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
mellzey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Jason this past March for the first time and he was a gentleman and very pleasant to visit with. The students there have all said good things about him. I still keep in touch with many of them.

As for the School of Music, I am a graduate of Southern Miss (BM and DMA) and studied with Allan Cox, Joel Treybig, and Reese Land (one year). Daniel Kelly was there before Jason came on board. Jason is on another one year appointment because of hiring freezes. As you can see, there has been a LOT of turn over in the trumpet world, and in other areas too, that might be a consideration in making your choice. I hope Jason gets the permanent gig in the future. He is obviously making a positive change there.

A bunch of the "old guard" faculty have left or are leaving in the next couple of years. They've gone through a couple of new Directors positions, but I think that has stabilized as well. There has also been some transitions in the Dean area, but again, I think that is all ok now too.

Big changes are happening at Southern Miss. Out with the old and in with the new. Some good, some bad. Its just like all other schools out there. The only steady faculty of the brass department is Dr. Richard Perry, tuba professor. He is the senior most faculty member. Been there about 10 years (I think). He is a graduate of TN Tech...might be worth a call to a fellow alum. The trombone and horn studio have also experienced some turn over over the past few years. Just can't seem to keep folks around.

The woodwind faculty is AMAZING!! Strong and has been together for several years now. The string faculty is also strong and the piano faculty, even though with some recent changes, are all great. The theory faculty ROCKS!!

The large ensembles are world class. However, Dr. Fraschillo will be retiring after this year. Whoever gets that job will have ENORMOUS shoes to fill. Look for change in that area. The orchestra is stable. Always have great seasons with some pretty good lit. The opera program is growing and the vocal area in general is solid.

Hattiesburg is a great place. I wish I still lived in an area like that.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I'll be happy to do so.

Michael Ellzey, DMA
Eastern New Mexico Univ.
Assistant Professor

TN Gov's School for the Arts
Instructor of Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: