• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1956 Martin Imperial--intermediate or pro model?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: 1956 Martin Imperial--intermediate or pro model? Reply with quote

I spent my Labor Day in Vintage Trumpet Heaven--Robb Stewart's shop in Arcadia, California.

I had a grand ($1,000) burning a hole in my pocked and had read on his website that he had some interesting old trumpets. I went there hoping to fall in love.

I tried:

1) 1969 Connstellation 38B
2) 1967 King Silver Flair
3) Kanstul Mariachi previously owned by high-note phenom Steve Reid
4) Three Olds Mendez horns
5) Olds Studio

I'm a wanna-be Chet/Blue/Art Farmer guy looking for a smoky-sounding jazz horn. I tried all of the above and was sadly headed for the door.

But as an afterthought, I asked Robb if I could blow on his 1956 Martin Imperial trumpet. He had a Committee there in the shop that I didn't even bother to try. I didn't have even close to the $2,000 that it cost.

I wasn't interested in the Imperial at all because it isn't a Martin HANDCRAFT Imperial. The posters here at the TH have told me that only pre-war Martin HANDCRAFT Imperials are great. After WWII, according to what I've read, the Imperial became an intermediate/student horn.

But....it was love at first blow! It perfectly matched the sound in my head that I was looking for. Even Mr. Stewart, who is usually very reserved, immediately commented. He had heard me on the other horns trying to get all dark and fuzzy. He said that that horn sounded very Committtee-ish.

For what I was looking for, it just blew all the above-mentioned horns away. It had intonation that was as good, or better than all of them. A smoky sound to die for and a fluid responsiveness that just knocked me out.

Mr. Stewart explained to me that the Imperial is the post WWII version of the Handcraft Imperial. I know that the pre-war MHI is a fantastic horn. I've owned one of them. But supposedly, after the war, the horn was demoted and lost the "Handcraft" in its name, and become a lessor horn.

I don't think that is the case with this 1956 model. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, and I'm trying not to be too giddy about the whole thing. But I'm trying to be very critical, and it seems to be just awesome. A sound as good as I could possibly hope for from the best-sounding Committee and above average intonation--a tiny bit flat on fouth-line D and low C.

Maybe Mr. Stewart was being a bit of a salesman, but he told me that he just doesn't get the whole Committee mystic thing. He believes that the Imperial is really just about the same horn.

Any other non-Handcraft Imperial lovers out there?
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a grand ($1,000) burning a hole in my pocked

Sounds like you sold that Flugelhorn!
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I paid $750 for the Imperial trumpet.

I also didn't mention that I've owned four Committees and a pre-war 1938 Imperial Handcraft trumpet (with the lion on the bell).

My honest-to-God impression at the moment is that this horn has the best intonation of the bunch and a sound as good as any of them. It it is also nimble as can be.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pictures!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm not a shutterbug.

Just picture a Committee without the trombone water keys, with amber-colored lacquer 99% intact.
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

I also didn't mention that I've owned four Committees and a pre-war 1938 Imperial Handcraft trumpet (with the lion on the bell).

My honest-to-God impression at the moment is that this horn has the best intonation of the bunch and a sound as good as any of them. It it is also nimble as can be.

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/cgi-bin/yabb231/YaBB.pl?num=1123329606

Here are firm opinions by Rob't Rowe on HUC a few years ago that the Imperials were never and Intermediate or student model and the rumours to the contrary are myths. Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the observations. Must have been a fun day. Imperials seem to hold their values well. But, what would the trumpet world be like with out the Committee mystique?

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of instruments that were marketed as good for school band were never "student instruments". In the late 50s into the 70s and 80s, the #1 market for new instruments were the gagillions of kids entering school. While some horns were no-doubt made just for students, a lot of what people dismiss today were still professional horns for at least part of that period... and they perform like professional horns.

I think that we, the trumpet playing community, really need to take a look at these alleged "student horns" and decide which have been unfairly maligned. I know that a lot of Aristocrats, for example, are decent (if quirky) horns that play well.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
connan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
I think that we, the trumpet playing community, really need to take a look at these alleged "student horns" and decide which have been unfairly maligned. Tom

Amen. I recently acquired a late 40s Indiana cornet and a mid 50s Imperial cornet and both are outstanding. Smooth as silk valves, excellent intonation, gorgeous tone each in its own way, and both are more free blowing above the staff than any other instruments I've owned. I don't know where the judgement came from that post-Committee Imperials were student or even "intermediate" horns. That isn't my experience. And as others have noted in this forum, the Indiana instruments can be excellent.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mffan wrote:
markp wrote:

Here are firm opinions by Rob't Rowe on HUC a few years ago that the Imperials were never and Intermediate or student model and the rumours to the contrary are myths. Congrats on your purchase and thanks for the observations. Must have been a fun day. Imperials seem to hold their values well. But, what would the trumpet world be like with out the Committee mystique?

Thanks for the "nod", mffan.

I haven't been here (TH) much lately. Too boring. The " vs "
post-topics make me want to gnash my teeth, pluck my beard, and wear sack-cloth. I've puked, 'till I got the dry-heaves.

Good Grief, people !! What'cha putting in that Kool-Aid ?

In-any-event, Mark's impressions of the Imperial are not surprising. Ever since some unknown MORON suggested the Imperial became a "student" horn with the advent of the post- WWII Committee, it HAS become the common "lore".

As they would say in the UK, "balderdash" or "poppycock". Here, "BS" will pretty-well cover the situation.

Rhetorical question: If the Imperial became the "student horn" ... what was the Indiana ? A "playground" horn ?

A dichotometric circumstance.

And most of us SHOULD KNOW how good the Indiana is. I have a Large-Bore Indiana. You don't know what you're missing.

Back to the Imperial .... The Imperial DID become the "entry-level" horn when the Indiana was dropped from the line-up, a little while after Wurlitzer took over Martin, upon buying the R.M.C. assets (and liabilities). A few other "new" models appeared. The Custom ... The DeLuxe. I suspect THEN people considered the Imperial a "student horn".

One could do worse ( much worse ) than play an Imperial. A true "bargain" in today's market. Get one (or, two) while you can.

~r2~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
mffan wrote:
markp wrote:

Thanks for the "nod", mffan.

I haven't been here (TH) much lately. Too boring. The " vs "
post-topics make me want to gnash my teeth, pluck my beard, and wear sack-cloth. I've puked, 'till I got the dry-heaves.

Good Grief, people !! What'cha putting in that Kool-Aid ?

In-any-event, Mark's impressions of the Imperial are not surprising. Ever since some unknown MORON suggested the Imperial became a "student" horn with the advent of the post- WWII Committee, it HAS become the common "lore".

As they would say in the UK, "balderdash" or "poppycock". Here, "BS" will pretty-well cover the situation.

Rhetorical question: If the Imperial became the "student horn" ... what was the Indiana ? A "playground" horn ?

A dichotometric circumstance.

And most of us SHOULD KNOW how good the Indiana is. I have a Large-Bore Indiana. You don't know what you're missing.

Back to the Imperial .... The Imperial DID become the "entry-level" horn when the Indiana was dropped from the line-up, a little while after Wurlitzer took over Martin, upon buying the R.M.C. assets (and liabilities). A few other "new" models appeared. The Custom ... The DeLuxe. I suspect THEN people considered the Imperial a "student horn".

One could do worse ( much worse ) than play an Imperial. A true "bargain" in today's market. Get one (or, two) while you can.

~r2~

Hey Robert nice to hear from you.... Bored? Even Kirk is....perhaps he is just building "that" horn. Trouble is too much info about trumpets and the music gets lost. Are you ready to tell us about the Committee beater you alluded to? I have discovered one....my Schilke S32....what a cool horn..can't put it down. Not surprising with a "committee of one" pedigree........

Walter
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retlaw wrote:

Hey Robert nice to hear from you.... Bored? Even Kirk is....perhaps he is just building "that" horn. Trouble is too much info about trumpets and the music gets lost. Are you ready to tell us about the Committee beater you alluded to? I have discovered one....my Schilke S32....what a cool horn..can't put it down. Not surprising with a "committee of one" pedigree........

Walter
I have had a couple of the later model Imperials, and, although I don't think thay were poorly made or not bargains, they never compared well with my Committee or most other horns I like.

I am wondering how your S32 experience relates to the Committee... as a Committee killer? Just wanted your input on that. If it's too far off topic, PM me with the review.

Hi Robert... greetings and good thoughts to you, Sir.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kevin ... Hi, Walter ~~

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge me again. You are among the few of the saner ones here.

Briefly -- My "take" on the Schilke S32 --

I found it to play very nicely, according to my tastes. Not egg-Zachary (pardon my Asian accent) like a Committee, however. Actually, the horn is more akin to my Holton Model 48, which I just put down 5-minutes ago. (It's a puzzling horn. I think some fool -- the guy that sold it to me -- did not realize it was GOLD-PLATED !! Three-HUNDRED American Dollars !! ).

The S32 almost pushes me toward playing in a "sizzlin'-mode" ... like an early OLDS Super, without me consciously trying to go there. Think Ziggy Elmann, Harry James, Ray Anthony on a 'Good Day'.

IF -- and ONLY IF -- you play the S32 with a gentle blow, do you come into the Committee frame-of-reference. Otherwise, it just "lights up" too easily for me.

~ r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

You are among the few of the saner ones here.

YIKES!!!!!!

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
Retlaw wrote:

Walter
I have had a couple of the later model Imperials, and, although I don't think thay were poorly made or not bargains, they never compared well with my Committee or most other horns I like.

I am wondering how your S32 experience relates to the Committee... as a Committee killer? Just wanted your input on that. If it's too far off topic, PM me with the review.

Hi Robert... greetings and good thoughts to you, Sir.

Thanks for that Robert...

I would describe the two as having similarities.. Robert is right on about the S32 lighting up and also pulling back to get a different sound. For me the feel is like a combination of my LB deluxe (nice open blow and very easy to play) and my medium deluxe (really lights up in the upper register) Committees. Yes the Schilke is a more modern horn but it comes out of the Committee stable... I like the bigger bell, reverse leadpipe and the sound. In a way this Schilke has been a Committee killer in that I sold my LB to get it... I have not been disappointed. I played them side by side and I was surprised how good the Schilke sounded...both have excellent intonation... The Committee was more slippery but both allowed me to play in a similar way. I was frankly very surprised... I do like the way the Schilke lights up.... both horns have great valves..... I play with a Schilke 15A4A and am waiting for a 15C4 for the quieter darker moments. I don't know if any of this makes sense but that is what I have found....

Back on track I think the Martin company have made some great horns and if Robert says the Imperial is a bargain it is....

Walter
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

You are among the few of the saner ones here.

YIKES!!!!!!

"Wot yo sayin"...you the only one?

Walter
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the casings on this very early Imperial... Not seen that before, but it may be standard at that time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vtg-MARTIN-Imperial-B-Bb-flat-Coronet-Trumpet-books-2-mouthpieces-/250898276855

John R Davidson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by John R Davidson on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few Handcraft Imperials and not seen any casings with that straight profile before. I think they all did have the 3 pronged guides though.

Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R Davidson wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:
Check out the casings on this very early Imperial... Not seen that before, but it may be standard at that time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vtg-MARTIN-Imperial-B-Bb-flat-Coronet-Trumpet-books-2-mouthpieces-/250898276855

These older Imperials had the dual bore set up. .437-.453 with tapered crook. The newer Wurlitzer post RMC used the straight .453 top and bottom. They can all be good players if tricked out correctly.

NOT correct.

Some ~Handcraft ~ Imperials were NOT dual-bore "set-up" ( your term ).

Were consistent (same dimension) bore-sized, through-out.

How do I know this ? I have several of each.

Also, I have an unusual (VERY) Wurlitzer-era Committee with a "choke" tuning-slide / crook. X-Large-bore mouthpipe and top tuning-slide tube-leg ... tapering DOWN to Medium-bore sized lower leg.

WTH ??

"How 'bout dem apples?"

Just when you think you've seen everything, Martin throws us a curve.

~r2~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
John R Davidson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by John R Davidson on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: