• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Performance Anxiety

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to a lot of successful experiences, which eventually replace the fear of the unknown...because it is the unknown that you fear.
markzauss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Performance Anxiety - Mark Zauss, licensed psychotherapist Reply with quote

Hello - I am a double board certified licensed clinical psychotherapist and full time trumpet player at Disney. I specialize in helping musicians, especially trumpet players, overcome performance anxiety. I am available through skype and all sessions are confidential. Feel free to contact me. http://markzauss.com
freshdax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not a trumpetist, but as a pianist I know the problems performance anxiety can cause like the shaky fingers.

Actually many musicians are using beta blockers, most commonly Propranolol which was already meantioned in this thread.
Even better (if the anxiety is really severe), could be a benzodiazepine like Ativan (Lorazepam), or even a combination of Ativan and Propranolol. Anyway Ativan has an addiction potential, so many doctors wont prescribe it that easy.

In generall, please stay away from alcohol. It can help a bit in mild doses, but if taken too much you can't hit a single note....
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mark, and freshdax...this is an old thread but glad you two are on board the TH.

Love your music Mr. Zauss!

Best,

RC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Trumpet performance anxiety Reply with quote

We are conditioned to feel a certain amount of anxiety when we play trumpet. When we play trumpet, there is a significant probability we will miss a note. This can cause anxiety. Our feeling or reaction to missing a note can condition our brain to send signals to our endocrine system which tells our body we need to increase heart rate and circulation. The brain cannot tell the difference between a missed note and some level of life threatening danger. We know this is true because when we watch a movie with a life threatening scene, we become anxious for the character in the movie even though we know we are safe at home or in a movie theater. The brain cannot distinguish the difference between realty and perceived reality. When we experience anxiety it is due to a fear of missing a note or performing poorly. The actual act of performing poorly does not physically harm us or cause any response from our body. It is only the fear of what might happen which causes anxiety.
One of the ways to treat performance anxiety is practice as relaxed as possible, do not practice until you get tired. Practice long tones as softly as possible and try to get the air as steady as you can.
Before you perform live - do this same exercise. Also remind yourself you are not performing surgery - no one will die if you miss a note.
If you feel like you need more help, you can contact a therapist - I am also available online as well. I am a double Board Certified licensed clinical therapist. - https://www.markzauss.net/

HornnOOb wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
Quote:
Just relax and tell yourself that nothing matters except tp play for your own enjoyment and personal sense of achievement. You're not playing for "them" or anyone else.

I disagree. The reason musicians play music is to communicate with sound vibrations. What you should think about is communicating something from your soul to other souls. Even written music. Don't think about being judged.
Quote:
I would suggest you get Kenny Wheeler's book, "Effortless Mastery"

That is a great book, and appropriate to the topic, however it's by Kenny Werner . . .

My point is that it might work to put yourself in a mental state that you're playing for yourself -- not "Them". But of course, we are actually playing for people - I was simply referring to a state of mind that might help with stage fright issue -- not the reality of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: