• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Different Approach for Air Compression and Support

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Different Approach for Air Compression and Support Reply with quote

I don't think I can make this short, but I'll try to be succinct. You'll probably have to read the whole thing to get the gist of what I'm saying here. Sorry.

Rewind to the beginning…. my approach to playing was BTSOOI.. Overblowing, plain and simple. I got decent results, but never great results. Trumpet playing was never easy for me. I was alway wrestling with the mechanics and spent far too little time on the music.

We always refer to "air support", "compression", etc. And, while I thought I *sort of* got it, I obviously didn't really catch on. In one sense I thought I was using air correctly, but the fact is I wasn't, as my playing will attest.

There were some previous threads on this forum with the theme of "blow-thru players vs compression players. I have come to the conclusion that the blow-thru players still create compression, but probably just approach it differently, as compression players have to blow to some degree.

… Last week I stumbled onto a video of Roger Ingram. I was more familiar with his reputation than a player. So I decided to watch a basic presentation vid that he gave at NAMM.

In this demonstration, he showed how he inhaled, something I'd never seen before. His system is:
1) Inhale 5% and let stomach go out
2) Inhale another 40% WHILE PULLING STOMACH IN
3) Inhale the rest raising shouders
3a) Drop shoulders and play

I am providing the link to his video, but have modified my approach to it to be more "normal". Same concept, but less radical. (especially no shoulders).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesqKELXqbU&feature=related

When I first saw it, it looked really funky to me, especially the shoulder raising thing. But still, I was intrigued. I couldn't imagine inhaling WHILE pulling the stomach in...

But I tried it, and something interesting occurred. What I found was when I did it this way (push stomach out initially while inhaling, continuing to inhale while pulling in) that my lungs were filled with pre-compressed air! All I had to do was let it out!!! I thought this thing would introduce tension, but I seem to experience quite the opposite. Basically my body leans against the air.

A couple bi-products…
First, it gets rid of the need to "blow" excessively. The expiration and continued contraction is simply to maintain the compression as air escape through the lips. My playable range seems to have expanded significantly. I had a lesson last night and my teacher says that it’s the best he has heard me sound.

Now for the rest of the story…
I could not understand how this could possibly work. But what I noticed is that NOW, with this approach, when I need to push more air I AM NOW PUSHING FROM MY BACK!!! It feels much, much stronger.

In essence what I think it happening is that the air gets compressed as I pull my stomach in while inhaling. Seems the the diaphragm is sucking the air in while the stomach is packing it in. The pulled in stomach holds the initial compression while my back muscles stay neutral. As the air escapes I can push with my back to maintain more constant compression. A simple way to describe the feeling is "leverage".

I would have to guess that this is similar to the "wedge", but the it doesn't feel like a wedge. It just feels more like my back moving, pulling toward my stomach which now is relatively solid and stationary. Hope I described it accurately.

This thing is new and still needs some mental focus as I play, but when I have time to set up it seems to be a really powerful thing.

Thoughts anyone???

Stanton
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't feel my stomach, except when it's full of food. I can't move it. If I try to, I can't tell whether it's moving or not.

If one ALLOWS himself to take a full, yogic breath, one will notice that the lower ab region initially distends slightly as the flexing diaphragm pushes the organs down. As one continues, the rib cage expands and the ab region pulls back in. One may or may not raise shoulders at the height of the breath. When holding, the chest will be up and out with the abs comfortably snug. For upper register playing, one can set the abs in at this point to further compress the air in the lungs.

If one is packing air into their stomach, I think it would be quite uncomfortable. I can't imagine how this would help trumpet playing.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:

If one is packing air into their stomach, I think it would be quite uncomfortable. I can't imagine how this would help trumpet playing.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my description. The air does not sit in the stomach. Originally the stomach goes out and air basically falls in. When the stomach is pulled in (while continuing the inhale), the air rises the chest area in a compressed state.

I talked with Jeanne Pocius about it and she says this is pretty much exactly how she does it, but tends to describe it differently.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup------Pops told me it was like the tube of toothpaste. It's all ready to go.

On a high C or on slurs I will kick my abs inward toward my back...

Then the organs are compressed and push up toward the lungs giving you compression from underneath.

Maynard Ferguson used to do this and in some of his videos you can see it.

When ever I miss a high note or it doesn't pierce with focus and authority I know I was lazy with my abs.

Happy playing
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

On a high C or on slurs I will kick my abs inward toward my back...
Then the organs are compressed and push up toward the lungs giving you compression from underneath.
When ever I miss a high note or it doesn't pierce with focus and authority I know I was lazy with my abs.

Perhaps I will adapt what I am doing, which is similar to what you are describing, but with one major difference. After 5% of the inhalation process the abs get pulled in. Instead of working my abs I am now working my back.

Let me describe it another way...
Obviously we need to compress the air, which happens by taking a volume of air and reducing the size of the container. Something has to squeeze against something. One way holds the back stationary and pulls the stomach muscles in. The second way holds the stomach muscles stationary and pulls the back muscles in.

To do it the second way, the air needs to be compressed and squeezed up into the lungs by the time your stomach is pulled back. Once the stomach is pulled toward the spine and upward it cannot travel much further. What's left is to use the back muscles, which are still pretty much in a relaxed state. Also, as the chest is held high you can also use the weight of your chest and upper body to "lean" on the bag of air inside your chest. It doesn't have to be aggressive either. The compression is pretty much there and you are, if I understand this correctly, further reducing the size of the container to maintain the necessary compression.

The word "necessary" is important. Obviously there are varying degrees of required compression and different things we need to provide it.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like you to look at this and tell me exactly how it relates to what you are describing:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/picture-of-the-stomach

Notice in the paragraph that there is no mention of the stomach's role in respiration. Please identify which stomach muscles you are moving in your "technique".

From what you are writing, I pretty much think you have no idea what you are talking about. But, I want to be fair and allow you to show me.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
mrsemman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What most men do not realize is that they are stomach breathers, which means that the stomach extends when they inhale a breath. The stomach extension lowers the diaphram and allows the lungs to expand. What Ingram is doing is simply creating more expansion and filling the lungs to capacity for blowing.

Makes sense.
Zeus Guarnerius Flugelhorn
Kanstul G Bugle
Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no muscles in the body which make the abdomen "expand" except the diaphragm. When the diaphragm contracts, at flattens, thus lowering pressure in the thorax for the sole purpose of creating a vacuum in the lungs to cause outside air to enter. As a byproduct, flattening of the diaphragm also pushes down from above on abdominal contents and causes passive "expansion" of the abdominal wall. You can resist that expansion by contracting your abdominal wall muscles. This simply compresses your abdominal contents until you release. We have almost no control on the relative contribution of diaphragm and chest wall musculature to the process of inspiration...And again, abdominal wall muscles contribute nothing to inspiration. Really great players and teachers sometimes think they understand what's happening physiologically, but they can be wrong.
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
You can resist that expansion by contracting your abdominal wall muscles. This simply compresses your abdominal contents until you release.

That is pretty much what I am saying. As Nick Drozdoff would say:"Air is a compressible fluid". What surprised me is that I could continue to inhale (inspiration) WHILE pulling my stomach muscles in. The result was air that was compressed BEFORE playing. Consequently I don't have to work nearly so hard at compressing the air while playing.

I am essentially letting my body "lean" against the air to keep it compressed. The way I was doing it before required constant abdominal contraction and movement to keep up with the escaping air.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I am *just* beginning to work with this technique, so I don't have it down pat yet. These are just my initial impressions- and the reason why I posted ; to get comments from others. I plan on having an extended conversation about it later in the week when Jeanne gets back to the states.

Quote:
Really great players and teachers sometimes think they understand what's happening physiologically, but they can be wrong.

That is SO TRUE. I had this with trumpet (so many stories, there is no room to post) but also had the same thing with ski instruction. I struggled for TEN years and didn't "get it" until one guy said "this is how its really done". With that, the lightbulb went on and I found that skiing was 10 times easier than folks were making it out to be. My instinct tells me the "gurus" really didn't understand how THEY did it and constantly misinformed their students.

Merry Xmas,
Stanton
Trumpet Geek
Level III Certified Ski Instructor
hien peter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

it is a good idea to do the breathing with the diaphragm.
This is the most efficient way to do it
and it is simple - no big thing.

Most people take too much air - you don´t need very much air.
And they compress too high - you don´t need high compression.
And they think about air flow - but the air flows by itself.

As long as the embouchure is good, anything else works naturally by itself.

Strad H37 & G 7s
martin committee 1946
Weimann C, Strad C
Conn V1 FH & MB6
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the much discussed wedge breath
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
Isn't this the much discussed wedge breath

Probably of similar concept, but I suspect there are some differences. Since we share some trumpet lineage, here is a response from Jeanne (after I bounced the concept off of her)....

"You've got it. This is what I do, though not how I'd explain it(it's a common breath control exercise, and we would have eventually done something similar ...Good work" [Jeanne Pocius]

I'll be talking with her about it in depth when she returns at the end of the week.

SK
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanton:
Quote:
the stomach goes out...

It's not the stomach, of course. If the term "abdomen" was used it would be accurate. After following this thread for a few days I can't figure out why people continue to use the word "stomach" to describe the abdomen.

Perhaps it is some flaw left over in the language from Victorian times when identifying areas of the body may have been taboo?...

When I had students I would have them place one hand on their abdomen just above the bellybutton, and one hand on their chest, and then I would tell them to breathe so that the hand on the abdomen moved outwards first, and when it was to its limit, then they would go on to expanding the chest. I called it "two stage breathing".

So now y'all can stop all of this bickering, adopt my terminology and methodology, and get on with your lives...

jbq
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBQ- Sorry you suffer from TTS (Terminal Terminolgy Syndrome) .
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanton wrote:

Quote:
The result was air that was compressed BEFORE playing. Consequently I don't have to work nearly so hard at compressing the air while playing.

The air is not compressed while you are inhaling. That is impossible.

All of the air in the lungs during inhalation is at about the same pressure. This pressure is ALWAYS less than atmospheric pressure, or inhalation will stop.

The muscles of inhalation must work against three things for the air in the lungs to be held below atmospheric pressure and for inhalation to be accomplished.

1. the resistance of the air flow of the air coming in. (hopefully not much resistance)

2. the elastic recoil (stretching) of the lung and other body tissues.

3. The weight of any body tissues acting on the lungs.

Once you stop, or reduce the action of the inhalation muscles. The elasticity of the lungs will then provide some force on the lungs which will create pressure. If more pressure is needed the muscles of exhalation can be engaged as required.

If the pressure of full lungs is excessive for a soft musical phrase then you can engage the inhale muscles to reduce the air pressure.

This can all happen naturally and without tension.

But the air is most certainly NOT "compressed" while you are inhaling.

stanton you are really confused and are over-complicating a simple process.

JBQ wrote:

Quote:
So now y'all can stop all of this bickering, adopt my terminology and methodology, and get on with your lives...

And they should. You are correct!

Last edited by kalijah on Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flaw in all of this is the lack of understanding that fact our lungs expand. They are not a static (small) container, there is no need to create "compression", take a full breath and let your body do what it was designed to do.

Last edited by JRoyal on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The flaw in all of this is the fact our lungs expand. They are not a static (small) container, there is no need to create "compression", take a full breath and let your body do what it was designed to do.

A flaw?

Thank goodness the lungs expand!

If they did not you could not play but a very short phrase.

The air pressure required to play DOES vary depending on the loudness of the moment in the musical phrase. The natural air pressure of the full lungs, due to elastic recoil, reduces as the air volume in the lungs reduces. Engaging the muscles of exhalation is usually required. But this does not mean 100% muscular effort. just what effort that is required to provide the correct pressure.
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
The flaw in all of this is the fact our lungs expand. They are not a static (small) container, there is no need to create "compression", take a full breath and let your body do what it was designed to do.

A flaw?

Thank goodness the lungs expand!

If they did not you could not play but a very short phrase.

The air pressure required to play DOES vary depending on the loudness of the moment in the musical phrase. The natural air pressure of the full lungs, due to elastic recoil, reduces as the air volume in the lungs reduces. Engaging the muscles of exhalation is usually required. But this does not mean 100% muscular effort. just what effort that is required to provide the correct pressure.

Sorry,I should have been clearer,I believe the flaw is the lack of understanding that the lungs expand, and therefore contract(though that might not be the right word) naturally. That seems , to me, to be at the bases of all the assumptions of the OP.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, seems to not understand the elasticity of the lungs and how it contributes to air pressure.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
Stanton:
Quote:
the stomach goes out...

It's not the stomach, of course. If the term "abdomen" was used it would be accurate. After following this thread for a few days I can't figure out why people continue to use the word "stomach" to describe the abdomen.

Or why people continue to complain about it and post anatomical pictures when they know very well what is meant.

If the abdomen extends, then the stomach is going along for the ride, along with everything else in there. Knowing the abdominal geometry uniquely determines the stomach position, and knowing the stomach position uniquely determines the abdominal geometry. Can we just say that there's an isomorphism between the two, accept the metaphor for what it's meant to be, and get along? There's more important things to argue about, like what the tongue does to the air stream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: