• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

They now have 4000grit wet/dry sand paper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: They now have 4000grit wet/dry sand paper Reply with quote

So I wanted some 1000 grit for a project and that means basically automotive supply houses. I wanted at the very least 9inx11in sheets rolls would have been even better. So while looking around in the body area I see of all tings 4000 grit. I have no interest in this since I use a buffing a wheel but I thought it was interesting they would market a 4000 grit to DIY's in sheets sized for a vibrating sander. It felt like soft clay. It would be very useful for someone with out a buffing wheel though.
Roberts-K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think micromesh comes up to 6000 or 8000 if I am not wrong!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this for finishing / polishing pen nibs!
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I got news for you:
The earth is not a flat disk but round (well, more or less)...

Ultra fine 4000-12000 grit paper has been around for a VERY long time and is mostly used for shaping & polishing lenses and glass. For sale at the 3M shop.
Paper above 1200/2000 grit is pretty much useless for us, because (soft) brass clogs it up quickly.
Ordinary polishing compounds are far more effective in our "territory".

So, what else is new?

Edit, because I wanted to get rid of a typo (hint, hint).

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpetgirl68

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:

So, what else is new?

Kirk making inane comments and not making much sense?

Oh wait...

AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this in the horns forum? What'cha workin on Cap?

+1 to Maarten. I think the much finer paper won't do you a whole lot of good. I used to be very close to another member here and when I'd hang out at his house we'd tinker with horns and mouthpieces.. maybe that grit would be good for smoothing out throats after drilling.

What else is new? People hating on Capt. Kirk.. OH WAIT

Trumpetgirl, you've already spoken your peace about kirk like... 3 times.. just leave him be and let him ramble incessantly about things he finds fascinating. It's not hurting you, is it?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
Why is this in the horns forum? What'cha workin on Cap?

+1 to Maarten. I think the much finer paper won't do you a whole lot of good. I used to be very close to another member here and when I'd hang out at his house we'd tinker with horns and mouthpieces.. maybe that grit would be good for smoothing out throats after drilling.

What else is new? People hating on Capt. Kirk.. OH WAIT

Trumpetgirl, you've already spoken your peace about kirk like... 3 times.. just leave him be and let him ramble incessantly about things he finds fascinating. It's not hurting you, is it?

Many posters around here choose to take the safe/easy route just to see their postings...

I agree w/you, AJ.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultrafine grits have indeed been around for a good while. I occasionally use stuff in the 8000-and-up range when polishing turned plastics, but they're not very useful otherwise.
trumpetgirl68

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:

Until his bumbling and rambling is off of this website I will not. Get over it. I've decided to take a stand against his crap.
giuseppepepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, trumpetgirl - he seems to be impervious to the forces around this site.

Even Don Quixote has failed.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgirl68 wrote:
Until his bumbling and rambling is off of this website I will not. Get over it. I've decided to take a stand against his crap.

I get as annoyed as anyone else by CK, but he's pretty much......

.....and shows no signs of giving up any time soon.
(Yeah I know, I use this pic a lot..... )

Brad361
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Kirk's side. He's doing what he wants to do.

Why should he be driven off the forum for asking what seem like stupid questions? If anybody's driven me away from this forum for more than the occasional question it's not Kirk, it's all the Kirk haters.

I honestly don't care if I get flamed for this or not. People deserve respect.
J_Mase
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgirl68 wrote:

Then leave. No one's forcing you to stay here. Do you want to reap the benefits of what people have to say, or be everybody's mommy?
trumpetgirl68

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidkoch wrote:

Why should he be driven off the forum for asking what seem like stupid questions? If anybody's driven me away from this forum for more than the occasional question it's not Kirk, it's all the Kirk haters.

He is doing what he wants to do, I am doing what I want to do. Please be respectful of me doing what I want to do.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt it was been around but not in automotive supply houses in the body section. Keep in mind their is not a lot of high end optical glass in a car that needs polishing.

Also keep in mind it was pre-cut to go on a vibrating sander's of the sort only DIY people would own usually for wood working.

Normally on a car if you need anything finer then 1000-2000 grit wet day you would use a buffing well and either 3M Fast Cut or 3M Safe Cut liquid buffing compounds.

So while the earth is not flat it is not a common site at AutoZone,Carquest,NAPA,O'Rilleys(sp) etc........I can tell you my local Super Walmart and Home Depot had nothing like but they did have versions of 3M's Fast Cut and Safe Cut remarked in smaller containers and with different marketing on the can's to appeal to DIY people.

I use .5 Micron water based diamond paste for lapping valves but I do not buy it at AutoZone or Walmart. If I say such a specialized product outside of it's main market at Walmart or a place like AutoZone I would report it hear as well! Why? Because it would be news worth for those that might want or need some.

The idea of my post was so that those that do not own buffing wheels and all kinds of blocks of abrasive would have an alternative to purchasing things they might no use often. If someone worked their way up the various grits now on the market one could polish a horn to a masterful finish at home with no tools, no long rolls of thin felt for raging and no need to track down abrasives and such.

So you took what was meant as a helpful informative post and turned it on a chance to spew hate. Way to go what a big man you must be with such fantastic charcter traits. True nobility of heart and such an accepting, warm, loving mind!!! LOL

Do keep in mind that Science is the second ruling thing in my life just after my religious belief's. I can quote science the way some quote the Bible. So I a well aware that Eratosthenes of Cyrene long before Europeans discovered the Earth was not flat new that. He calculated the circumference of the earth with out leaving his home with just mathematical deduction. He was off by 2%......He had to know the world was not flat before he started since flat objects have no circumference...LOL

If you wanted to use your malice some place of usefulness directing it at all the OEM trumpet makers that still build trumpets in the same fashion they have for over 100 years would be worth while! I am sure some of them do not know that the earth is not flat. LOL
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try...

John, stop playing the sympathetic, eternally misunderstood victim.
It's been suggested many times before, change the style, content and general quality of your posts, or simply accept the responses you provoke (that last word being the key one in this reply).

MvW.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidkoch wrote:
...People deserve respect...

In principal I couldn't agree more, but in my book "respect" can be earned but lost too.
I'm not justifying any behaviour here (not even my own), but still...

MvW.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
I can quote science the way some quote the Bible.

I bet Abby can Really "Quote Science"

Link

Last edited by ohiotpt on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bothers me the way that he talks to a professional trumpet player. I guess he doesn't want a job playing. Scary small music world that we live in...
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgirl68 wrote:
davidkoch wrote:

He is doing what he wants to do, I am doing what I want to do. Please be respectful of me doing what I want to do.
In 18 posts you have accrued a level of enmity Kirk in thousands hasn't. Good going TG68!
Respect has zip to do with it. Where's YOUR positive contribution to the trumpet world?

And Kirk - perhaps those baby-butt-smooth grits would be handy for polishing headlamp lenses and reflectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: