• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Here's what I got from these as*****s:

"........Thanks for your swift respond,i am an Navy Officer and am currently offshore, i am buying the item as a gift for my daughter,i want to make it a surprise gift for her,so she won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to her. I can only pay through paypal. So pls kindly get back to immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the Item up immediately after payments.......
Looking forward to hear from you soon
Thanks
Mark Pratt......."

And then this:

......"Thanks for your effort,I'm about to make the payments when i had this little problem with the picking up of the Item, I think you remember what i said in my previous mail that I'm working presently offshore and i am buying the item for my daughter so i tried to secure booking with my pick up agent, but they asked me to pay first before they can make the booking, and they only accept Western Union Money Transfer for payments and they don't accept PayPal or bank transfer.

So I tried to send the money online but it's not going through and I am on the sea there is no way i can find a western union agent to make the transfer to my pick up agent, so i wanted to ask if it will be OK for me to include my pick up agent's fees together with your payments through PayPal,So you will help me wire the pick up fee to them via western Union Money Transfer immediately i pay you.I don't mean to bother you I'm sure you understand that I'm presently on the sea and there is nothing i can do to that.
The bottom line is after I have made the payments via PayPal,you will help me wire my pick up agent fee to them through western union money transfer, I just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the payments,I will be very happy if my offer is given a favorable consideration,Respond as soon as possible so that i can send out your Payment........"

We always need to be careful, and this is pretty typical internet-scam verbage.

Brad361

Ahhh, that's it. I just couldn't figure out what they were getting out of it. They send you Paypal money. You Western Union part of that to their "local agent." And then they reverse their original Paypal payment. They never attempt to get the horn. They just got some of your money instead.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ahhh, that's it. I just couldn't figure out what they were getting out of it. They send you Paypal money. You Western Union part of that to their "local agent." And then they reverse their original Paypal payment. They never attempt to get the horn. They just got some of your money instead.

Yup, looks that way. Taking advantage of PayPal's policies, looks like.

td
tonino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MON! I have this trumpet now listed:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=40510&s=TAYLOR-BALANCED-CUSTOM-SHOP

I have received two scam emails from:

markpratt1@rocketmail.com

and

keith.reiss@yahoo.com

I simply forwarded these two messages to the Italian Authorities to check their IDs.

Regards

Don Tonino
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to watch the Nigerians. They wanted to send me a check and have me forward extra money somewhere else via Western Union (To one of their insiders i guess). If I was stupid enough to to take the bait. The item I was selling was not important. Just the Scam. Contact the FBI in these cases
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
I_play_trmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got these...

"Hi mate, I will like to know if your your item is still available for sale. I will love to know the condition of it and final asking price. I will be paying Via PayPal,so kindly email me some picture of the item Okay. Looking forward to hear from you soon.
Best Regard.
Williams

markpratt1@rocketmail.com"

And also

"Hello! Can I see foto of this cor? Please send this foto to my e-mail(sparwart@gmail.com). Thank you.
Best regards. Anton

Name: Anton
sparwart@gmail.com"

Fun times.
Roel.Flores

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.. I got that one today.
Bigelow-Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Scammers Reply with quote

I was contacted by two different guys both insisting on paying via paypal and using a local person to pick up the instrument. I told them Paypal was fine but I would only release the horn to a prepaid or billed account UPS or FedEx pick up. One guy said he was a Navy officer so I asked what ship he was on and where he was stationed -- those questions ended that inquiry. Sad.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I got this for both my ads as well. If anything sounds fishy, I respond with "Are you legitimate?" and see if I get back a canned auto-response. That ususally answers that...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to admit it, but I didn't completely catch on when I received the first email, although the "Hi Mate" was a red flag. (I also had not seen this thread when I got it).

As much as I would like to send a snarky response to these criminals, I don't, because I don't want them to (again) have my email address. I would think that part of their scam might be selling email addresses.

And as someone else mentioned, giving a phone number to a prospective buyer (unless you smell a rat), or getting one from a seller goes a long way to establish credibility.

Brad361

Last edited by Brad361 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long do you have to reverse a paypal transaction, if you are the buyer, and think that perhaps the item you purchased has not, and perhaps will not be shipped?

(Really hoping this isn't the case, but starting to get suspicious...)
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
How long do you have to reverse a paypal transaction, if you are the buyer, and think that perhaps the item you purchased has not, and perhaps will not be shipped?

(Really hoping this isn't the case, but starting to get suspicious...)
I am guessing here, from some experience. If you file a report/complaint with Paypal for an item not received, Paypal will put a hold on the sellers account and the funds will not be available until the issue is resolved. If the seller has already withdrawn the funds from his Paypal account, then the $$ is gone, but he won't be able to use his account and any funds that come into that account will be held. I think that's the way it works. Paypal service folks have always been helpful with me in the past.

Like I said above... with such a low bar requirement to use the Marketplace to sell, it's only a matter of time before scam sellers show up. They can qualify in practical no time, with only 5 inconsequential posts... bingo.... send me your money, I'll ship your horn out right away. Voila.... screwed.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always forward these scammers to scams@trumpetherald.com
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use phished paypal accounts so it could be a while before a victim loses their money.

It could be worse. There was someone on the forum lost $6000 on a trumpet that did not exist. He contacted me because I live relatively near the alleged seller and I might be able to check him out, but he was just using a remote address to avoid scrutiny. He wasn't there. He had spoken on the phone to the "seller" which convinced him so this is sometimes not total assurance.

Its sad, but part of modern life.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside - this was the first thing that got my attention:
"i am an Navy Officer and am currently offshore..."
I believe that when a seaman is not ashore, he is not offshore, but rather at sea.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
With only 5 posts required to gain access to the Marketplace, I'm surprised there have not been some "sellers" looking to take $$$ for horns that don't exist. It's only a matter of time.

This one is a no-brainer.
Just don't buy anything from someone with a low post count, atleast without verification.

If I didn't feel completely comfortable to make a deal with anyone, regardless of number of posts, I wouldn't make a deal.

Simple as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know why I usually insist on pre-payment only via U.S. Postal Money Order which I've been told is also available aboard U.S.Navy Ships and at all U.S. Military installations.

I did recently use PayPal for a purchase as posted to my account the very next day and I'm still waiting ...
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:
With only 5 posts required to gain access to the Marketplace, I'm surprised there have not been some "sellers" looking to take $$$ for horns that don't exist. It's only a matter of time.

This one is a no-brainer.
Just don't buy anything from someone with a low post count, atleast without verification.

If I didn't feel completely comfortable to make a deal with anyone, regardless of number of posts, I wouldn't make a deal.

Simple as that.
That certainly is true. However if TH members were required to have a significant number of posts and a significant time as members, we at least would know that they did not simply join to sell or buy and we would have a record which could be examined and might show whether these members were trumpet savvy or not. That would open up the possibility of knowing enough to be able to trust the person with whom one does business. Beyond that, I feel the Marketplace should be a place where active and participating members can trade amongst themselves and should not be another avenue where anyone can dump their stuff. I guess what I'm saying is that the privilege of using the Marketplace should be reserved for individual members who actually participate and contribute to the site over the long term. A fringe benefit to having it set up like that is that we get to "know" on some level, the people with whom we are doing business.

On a non trumpet site where I am active, both the Marketplace and the ability to access a members PM or email is limited to members who have been members for a few weeks and who have posted a few dozen on topic posts. The moderators are very aware of what is posted and of any attempt to sell in other forums because access to the Marketplace is not yet available... and they regularly warn individuals... and ban them altogether if warning is not enough. Anyway, that's getting close in length to a Kirkian post, and Lord knows I don't want that.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
MichaelM2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although TH only requires 5 posts to be able to list items for sale, we certainly have the capability to research a members posts and determine how long they have been a member and kind of build a mental picture of the seller. We're all aware of the scams not only here but on ebay as well. How many times have we seen that are too good to be true only to find out that the account was hijacked. I usually check these to see and if they have been selling and this is their first instrument I will stay away. Don't buy if you're not comfortable. BTW I would like to thank the many trustworthy members I have purchased from in the past.

Mike
Randall Nelson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:
I had a similar situation about a month ago.

Guy was buying for his dad who was coming home from off shore. He was located in the UK, and also wanted me to use some sort of bizarre looking home pick up site. I stopped responding. At first it didn't seem as sketchy as previous scams. But when it came to the home pick up, like someone said above, I wasn't about to give out my home address to them.

Until I get to know someone either here or on C'list, I always suggest we meet at a Starbucks at least 5 miles further from the closest one to my house....After I know someone like a couple of local TH members, no problem. Often still meet at the more local Starbucks.

Works well.
Best
Kanstul French Besson Marvin Stamm
Lawler C7
Getzen Custom 3051 LB RL
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelM2 wrote:
Although TH only requires 5 posts to be able to list items for sale, we certainly have the capability to research a members posts and determine how long they have been a member and kind of build a mental picture of the seller. We're all aware of the scams not only here but on ebay as well. How many times have we seen that are too good to be true only to find out that the account was hijacked. I usually check these to see and if they have been selling and this is their first instrument I will stay away. Don't buy if you're not comfortable. BTW I would like to thank the many trustworthy members I have purchased from in the past.

Mike
5 posts is not enough for me to know anything... and besides, posting 5 times really doesn't show any decision to contribute here and I believe the Marketplace should be reserved for trading amongst the contributing members. Don't expect anyone to agree... but I also don't expect to change my mind. These sites depend on participation and a level of fellowship between like minded folks with a common interest. Folks who are not on board with that should not have the benefits of the Marketplace without putting some effort into the site. If they want to sell without any commitment Ebay and CL provide that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: