• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the umpteenth time:

Moderators have no power in the Marketplace. Zero, nada, nil, zip, zilch, none. If you have a Marketplace problem, PM the sysadmin, username trumpetherald.

Scammers, as well as some legitimate users, may make nonsensical posts, start nonsensical threads, or post their for sale item in the regular forums. These posts/threads are often deleted but by then the new user may have registered a Marketplace account and gone on. The result is that they no longer have five visible posts but do have a Marketplace account. See point above for action.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another scammer testing the waters... Be careful out there fellow TH members. This was a reply to an ad I put on TH (the year of horn and also a link to the store link were on the ad).

"*****************
Their message: I am interested in your trumpet
Please tell me the year it was manufactured
What is the price you are asking?
Where can I meet you to give it a test try?

Name: Carl Kaiser"

Hope no one gets burned by these emails (this was the 4th one they sent to us exactly the same on different listings).
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Truetle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Just was scammed out of $800.00 for 2 horns!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi All, Be on the lookout for a Gary Tran or whatever his name is this week. "Gary" you are being put on notice!! This scumbag just scammed me out of $800.00 for 2 non existent horns on Reverb.com. A circa 1953 Holton Stratodyne and a Getzen Copra Bell. When are you shipping them out "Gary"? Please be careful everyone, he also goes by JazzArt, Complete Rookie, Rod Haney, Art Deco and Jake Blaid on the TM and TH forums as well as Reverb.com. where his "store" is named, "Vintage Horn Section", based in Kansas City, daydreamcollection is his handle on ebay. Just trying to let folks know. Do not to EVER pay for a horn or anything Friends and Family on PP, they, PP can't do a thing if the deal goes south!!
I'm getting the police and FBI involved. Your time is up *******!!!!!!!!
please send this to all of your friends!!
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Just was scammed out of $800.00 for 2 horns!!!!! Reply with quote

Truetle wrote:
Do not to EVER pay for a horn or anything Friends and Family on PP ...

And another reason not to do so is that if you're using F&F to pay for a purchase from a stranger, it's probably a violation of the terms of service, and may even be considered an act of fraud. By both the payer and the payee. If you try to scam PayPal, they won't be inclined to help you with your problem of being scammed.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just was scammed out of $800.00 for 2 horns!!!!! Reply with quote

Truetle wrote:
Do not to EVER pay for a horn or anything Friends and Family on PP, they, PP can't do a thing if the deal goes south!!

What is Friends and Family referring to?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Joe Manzanares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just was scammed out of $800.00 for 2 horns!!!!! Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Truetle wrote:
Do not to EVER pay for a horn or anything Friends and Family on PP, they, PP can't do a thing if the deal goes south!!

What is Friends and Family referring to?

I believe it is an option on PayPal that allows the merchant to save some money on the fees that a transaction brings about.

Selmer Paris Chorus 92B Bb
Selmer Paris Sigma Bb
Yamaha YCR-732 Bb Cornet
Courtois Bb Flugelhorn
Monette & Kanstul Mouthpieces
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends and family is exactly that.

It does release the recipient of the fees but it is not intended for buying goods from a stranger. I would be surprised if a person filing a claims for goods would get any help when they lied about the nature of the transaction. It is the same reason I won't lie on a customs form. If there is a problem they insurance can't be expected to pay for one amount while the claimed amount is much lower.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
c cup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Listing on Marketplace Reply with quote

Can anyone help me figure this out? I have pm the moderator and am waiting for a reply but thought someone else might help in the meantime. I am trying to list a horn but all I get is a page asking for my PIN number. I don't have a PIN number and can't figure out how to go about getting one. Argghhh...

Doug Burns
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Listing on Marketplace Reply with quote

c cup wrote:
Can anyone help me figure this out? I have pm the moderator and am waiting for a reply but thought someone else might help in the meantime. I am trying to list a horn but all I get is a page asking for my PIN number. I don't have a PIN number and can't figure out how to go about getting one. Argghhh...

Doug Burns

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
The Mods have nothing to do with the Marketplace. Read the posts in the trumpetherald.com forum under Announcements at the very top of the forum. If you still have problems or questions PM user trumpetherald, the site administrator, as he is the only one who can help.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What LittleRusty said. Also, read through the threads in the Announcements sub-forum about marketplace access and other stuff.
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Listing on Marketplace Reply with quote

c cup wrote:

Doug Burns

Why did ya post this on this thread?
Make another one.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been selling a lot of low value mouthpieces lately and have been asking some to pay with the "friends and family" option. I think it scares off some buyers, so I give them a choice.

On the other hand, I would never sell to some of the inquiries I receive. The giveaway is the the bad grammar, and the request for information that was already listed in the ad. I always ask the buyer to call. They usually give some b.s. excuse that they're out of the country, at work, on a ship at sea, whatever. I just tell them "No call, no sale". That always ends the conversation.

When buying, I always talk to the seller on the phone. I always get an address and always check to see if it's real. Maybe look them up on facebook too. Most of the people here on TH have on online presence. Youtube, website, some college directory. It has to check out.

I've had some strange sales here. Sold a horn to a guy in Turkey. Couldn't find a cheap enough way to ship, so I worked it out with Josh Landress to ship it there, and the buyer had a flight attendant friend of his pick it up.

Another time, I had a guy from California tell me he was buying a horn for his dad (who used to play in Korea before he came here 25 years ago). He wanted me to ship it to his families Dry Cleaner shop so his dad wouldn't see it (his dad is retired and the guy lived at home). Seemed weird, but I googled the shop and it all checked out.

Bottom line: Be Careful Out There People.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just was scammed out of $800.00 for 2 horns!!!!! Reply with quote

Truetle wrote:
Hi All, Be on the lookout for a Gary Tran or whatever his name is this week. "Gary" you are being put on notice!! This scumbag just scammed me out of $800.00 for 2 non existent horns on Reverb.com. A circa 1953 Holton Stratodyne and a Getzen Copra Bell. When are you shipping them out "Gary"? Please be careful everyone, he also goes by JazzArt, Complete Rookie, Rod Haney, Art Deco and Jake Blaid on the TM and TH forums as well as Reverb.com. where his "store" is named, "Vintage Horn Section", based in Kansas City, daydreamcollection is his handle on ebay. Just trying to let folks know. Do not to EVER pay for a horn or anything Friends and Family on PP, they, PP can't do a thing if the deal goes south!!
I'm getting the police and FBI involved. Your time is up *******!!!!!!!!
please send this to all of your friends!!

I just saw this and also saw the date, so this is old!
But I am Rod Haney and I can assure you that I scam no-one, never have and never will. I did obtain a Stratodyne on a trade at one point but nothing I�m aware of was not above board. I traded an Olds Flugel for it and 2 other horns. Still got the strat and have had a Dr valve redo on it.
Since this is old - and I am too, I�m going to forget about it!

But you should be careful about throwing out accusations with no basis in fact.

Be more thorough in researching your accusations!
Rod
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed. Sorry for freaking out.

Last edited by AJCarter on Thu May 24, 2018 8:10 am; edited 2 times in total
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda related issue. I used paypal on April 23rd to purchase a Getzen Piccolo (ad was on the Marketplace). Owner said it was shipped from Australia on April 23rd (I do not have a company or tracking number). I do not have the item (May 24th) . What is the "typical" ship time from Australia to the US ? Could it still be hung up in Customs ? Pleading ignorance here. Never dealt outside the US. Thanks
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: potential new scammer Reply with quote

Link

Last edited by Mike Sailors on Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:
Kinda related issue. I used paypal on April 23rd to purchase a Getzen Piccolo (ad was on the Marketplace). Owner said it was shipped from Australia on April 23rd (I do not have a company or tracking number). I do not have the item (May 24th) . What is the "typical" ship time from Australia to the US ? Could it still be hung up in Customs ? Pleading ignorance here. Never dealt outside the US. Thanks

Could be hung up. I once bought from an eBay seller in Germany. It took so long to receive the item I could no longer leave feedback, even though the seller shipped the item and sent me tracking almost immediately.

Have you emailed the seller asking for tracking?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: potential new scammer Reply with quote

Edited. See new post.

Last edited by AJCarter on Sun May 27, 2018 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:

Distinct possibility. I've never bought from overseas myself, but I know Trent sometimes has to wait for his ACB horns due to them being stuck in customs, and he's doing commercial business (not sure if that makes a difference). So it certainly sounds plausible to me that it could be too.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY RESOLVED.

Last edited by AJCarter on Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: