• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortepiano50

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Scammers Reply with quote

Quote:

"........Thanks for your swift respond,i am an Navy Officer and am currently offshore, i am buying the item as a gift for my daughter,i want to make it a surprise gift for her,so she won't know anything about the gift until they get delivered to her. I can only pay through paypal. So pls kindly get back to immediately so i can proceed with the payment and after the payment has been done,i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the Item up immediately after payments.......
Looking forward to hear from you soon
Thanks
Mark Pratt......."
Quote:

I received this same message and asked the @#$%^&"what ship he was on and who his commanding officer was" needles to say he never contacted me again.

I also ordered two mouthpieces from Alliance Brass in the UK and it took at least six weeks before it arrived. Philip Sparke told me that even music from his company gets hung up in US Customs unless it is sent by courier. Thank you HLS!
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use Friends and Family option for anything on Paypal guys!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy anything from Drew McGee. He scammed me out of money for a mouthpiece. Be warned.
jazztptplyr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Jon - I sent money for a case from Drew McGee - never got it. Guy is scamming people left and right. He's on the Facebook Trumpets for Sale group as well. Be warned!
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent Drew a note regarding a missing mute that I had purchased from him, and got a reply. He sent the cup mute he promised me, but only after a tersely worded threat. I took his excuse that he was in finals week, and understood because I was during finals week as well. My cup arrived, I was happy.

It is sad to see this young man making such a mess of things, and of his future. I hope he reads this and makes the effort to make these issues right.

This is a prime reason why you should NEVER use friends and family with someone you wouldn't have over for dinner to your own house. When I use that as my rule, I find I do the right thing with Paypal, and protect myself and the investment.

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Drew McGee the name on his PayPal account?
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this inquiry today, typical scam bot messages.

"Their message: Hello,
I will like to inquire about your musical instrument for our private use.Kindly provide me with the information below.

What is the final asking price and condition?
Is the price negotiable?
Are you the owner or selling for someone?
How many instruments do you have available for sale?

I await your quick response.

best regards
Geraldine

Name: Geraldine
gberlusconicoy@gmail.com"
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I v got exactly the same message, scam for sure.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware of Harry Wallace.

Last edited by dstpt on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Waiting for new member and seller Harry Wallace to be confirmed by Moderators. He is not fully answering questions via email regarding the sale of a Yamaha 9335 Chicago Bb and Schilke cornet. He did reply with this wording:

"No dings or dents or pings the horn really is in great shape. I’m just not a Yamaha player! I thought I’d give it a try since so many top tier players use it but something about my setup just doesn’t quite work for me"

"Yes well I briefly studied at Northwestern, but don’t really live in that area much any more! As for where I got these horns, the Yamaha I got a sweet deal at the Midwest clinic few years back on it. Bob Malone knew a friend selling a used gen1 Bb and he pointed me that direction. The cornet, I got off of Trumpet Herald.
Harry"

"Hey! Yes I’m a legit seller, I live in Florida. Feel free to add me on Facebook"

"I’d be happy to answer your quesions! I’m about to clock in at work but I’ll gladly get back to you then

Harry"

So what do you expect the moderators to do? They moderate the forums, not the marketplace.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
So what do you expect the moderators to do? They moderate the forums, not the marketplace.

I suppose one thing they could do is see if this seller has removed all of his ads. If that's happened, then maybe he's pocketed some money very quickly and moved on to other ground. If he still has mouthpieces for sale, then maybe that would be an indication that he's in it for the long run...to an extent. When you look at an ad, it gives you the option to see other postings. I saw several by this lister yesterday, but the two main ones I was looking at were horns, and the others, I think, were only mouthpieces. Now that the two horns have been removed, I don't know how to find other listings by him, since I didn't make a note of the specific mouthpieces he had listed, and I am unaware of how to view listings by a user merely by doing a search for his user name. Is that even possible? I would think the Moderators could see that as well as the exact wording posted with an ad even after it has been removed. His TH user name is Harryw413.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mm55 said, the Moderators have nothing to do with the Marketplace. If you see a problem there, PM the sysadmin, username trumpetherald. The Moderators have no power in the Marketplace.
Sean_E

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scammers are terrible!
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
I v got exactly the same message, scam for sure.

Regards

Me as well, twice
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: One way to detect a Bot Reply with quote

Throw a few very silly statements at them; I mean SILLY

If the responds keeps coming back "ok", you are probably talking to a computer.

I had this happening twice. I will not repeat the silly statements here, as they may get me kicked-off the Herald

Cheers

Harry
Hugh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be grateful for some advice...

I have a buyer interested in my flugelhorn on ebay. It's also on the marketplace here, but this buyer is through ebay.

I wont mention the name because they might well be absolutely fine. They are in the US and I'm in the UK. They want to pay with paypal and then I'll ship the horn to them. They've agreed to pay for shipping.

I've researched this and the problem is that the buyer could then claim to have not received the horn and get back their money from paypal leaving me liable to pay paypal back.

The only possible way I've found round this is to use Ebay's Global Shipping Programme. They say that this means the package is tracked and that the buyer can't claim money back. Has anyone else used this successfully or have any other suggestions?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh wrote:

I have a buyer interested in my flugelhorn on ebay. It's also on the marketplace here, but this buyer is through ebay.

I wont mention the name because they might well be absolutely fine. They are in the US and I'm in the UK. They want to pay with paypal and then I'll ship the horn to them. They've agreed to pay for shipping.

I've researched this and the problem is that the buyer could then claim to have not received the horn and get back their money from paypal leaving me liable to pay paypal back.

The only possible way I've found round this is to use Ebay's Global Shipping Programme. They say that this means the package is tracked and that the buyer can't claim money back. Has anyone else used this successfully or have any other suggestions?

I've used global exchange - never had any issues through it (they email you when they receive it, when they release it and when the customer receives it).

It's quite pricey for the buyer and it adds time onto the transit process, but other than that it's good.

I believe if paypal were done as friends and family then they wouldn't be able to claim back if the instrument doesn't arrive, but it's questionable to do it that way (and it's a red flag for the buyer if insisted upon).
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the shipping company Maersk for international shipping ? I purchased a piccolo trumpet from the TH Marketplace on April 23rd. It looked legit. I paid with Paypal. It has been over 4 months and still no horn - after I purchased the seller claimed to be from Australia. He said the horn is still in transit and be patient. He said they did not provide a tracking number because he shipped it the cheapest way possible. I am located in the US. Thoughts/experiences with Maersk shipping ? Thanks
Hugh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Hugh wrote:

I've used global exchange - never had any issues through it (they email you when they receive it, when they release it and when the customer receives it).

It's quite pricey for the buyer and it adds time onto the transit process, but other than that it's good.

I believe if paypal were done as friends and family then they wouldn't be able to claim back if the instrument doesn't arrive, but it's questionable to do it that way (and it's a red flag for the buyer if insisted upon).

Many thanks, I've spoken to the buyer on the phone now and they seem very genuine.

We are using the global shipping programme on ebay, which seems like a good way of tracking the instrument to the buyer.
Hugh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Hugh wrote:

Many thanks, I've spoken to the buyer on the phone now and they seem very genuine.

We are using the global shipping programme on ebay, which seems like a good way of tracking the instrument to the buyer.

I've now found out that the Global Shipping Programme is not available to the US because of customs restrictions. The only protection I can get is by using ebay's tracking option. They say this is enough protection, but is it though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: