• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scammer on the Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelM2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the point, although TH is only requiring 5, we still can make the personal decision to require as many as we want to feel comfortable with the seller. There are most definitely a group I would steer clear of, but Caveat Emptor. Even the good trustworthy ones can go bad it's a chance we take everytime we buy something sight unseen.

Mike
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
An aside - this was the first thing that got my attention:
"i am an Navy Officer and am currently offshore..."
I believe that when a seaman is not ashore, he is not offshore, but rather at sea.

Very true. Also, most naval officers can probably write in complete sentences and do so without sounding like the product of google translate, or a starship captain.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
5 posts is not enough for me to know anything... and besides, posting 5 times really doesn't show any decision to contribute here and I believe the Marketplace should be reserved for trading amongst the contributing members. Don't expect anyone to agree... but I also don't expect to change my mind. These sites depend on participation and a level of fellowship between like minded folks with a common interest. Folks who are not on board with that should not have the benefits of the Marketplace without putting some effort into the site. If they want to sell without any commitment Ebay and CL provide that.[/quote]

I think I'm with supportlivejazz on this one. When I see an ad from a name that is not familiar, and see that he had exactly five posts total before listing the ad, I get suspicous. Or at least hesitant.
Maybe a larger number of posts, AND some forum participation history over a period of time would help keep the marketplace safe, or at least safER.
Of course, that does not stop the scammer "buyer", which was the trigger for this thread, but it might help.

Brad361
TowsonTrumpetGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, had almost the exact same message as Brad361. Got my hopes up, too, shame that was the only hit that I had on my horn
Spread this around too, so that people can see.
Apparently my telling the guy (Dean Martin, he claimed he was) that I was going to report him wasn't enough to deter potential threats. I'll post the emails in a little bit.

1974 Bach 37
1992 Bach 229GH 25R Large bore C
1967 Schilke D1
Kanstul F. Besson Meha Large Bore Bb
bolandmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Scammers Reply with quote

Yes, I had this exact same verbage in the last couple of days as well. Stay clear!
JediYoda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
loweredsixth wrote:
.....But isn't the local pickup thing an awful lot of trouble for them to go through?

Sure, but would YOU give your home (or business, for that matter) address to a stranger on the internet? That almost adds another higher level of danger to the whole thing.

Brad361

I got that exact same letter....also he included it was for his daughters birthday and it was suppose to be a suprise!

He was on ship and would have his shipping comp[any pick up the trumpet.

He wanted me to pay the shipper because he was having trouble with paypal and was wondering if I would take western Union...lol....

I e-mailed him back and said I only accept paypal and I only ship via UPS...PSPS or fed ex...lol....

Have not heard back from him..lol........
Yamaha custom Piccolo Trumpet
Besson Eb/D trumpet
Olds Ambassador -- circa `1959
Bach G trumpet Bach Hearald Trumpet
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
5 posts is not enough for me to know anything... and besides, posting 5 times really doesn't show any decision to contribute here

What! You don't think this person is going to contribute??
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?search_author=katrinak184

Ding Ding Ding Ding!
http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=40631&s=Bach-Stradivarius---B-flat
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
supportlivejazz wrote:
5 posts is not enough for me to know anything... and besides, posting 5 times really doesn't show any decision to contribute here

What! You don't think this person is going to contribute??
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/search.php?search_author=katrinak184

Ding Ding Ding Ding!
http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=40631&s=Bach-Stradivarius---B-flat

Wow, they didn't even have to post five times. Three identical posts were all it took?
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 5.

The one in the Picc Thread is npw gone.

Moderator deletion?
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I thought this naval officer was from down under! lol

Isn't this "impersonating an officer?" or something...

Too bad we can't somehow follow through in such a way to gather evidence in order to nail these people. A scamascum-task-force!

On the other end, I noted there is a "Wiliam Pratt" in the database, when "Mark PRATT" emailed, he first signed "Wiliams", so I got to thinking, "IS THERE A REAL WILLIAM PRATT who's TH account has been hi-jacked?
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
An aside - this was the first thing that got my attention:
"i am an Navy Officer and am currently offshore..."
I believe that when a seaman is not ashore, he is not offshore, but rather at sea.

Very true. Also, most naval officers can probably write in complete sentences and do so without sounding like the product of google translate, or a starship captain.

Oh, yeah!
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Paiging Michael Hunt.....Is Mike Hunt in the room"?
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying anything from trumpetherald marketplace is dangerous, because they allow sellers to modify or delete the advert after its sold. Then when you get a weird mouthpiece from Dave Wondra, he hides his return address, offers your money back, then says to "Paypal dispute investigators" the buyer is mistaken after modifying his advert, which is all Paypal will look at for verifying what you bought. So don't buy anything with Paypal from trumpetherald if you don't like to be ripped off because they have made it easy for fraudsters to rip you off and make it look legitimate. I talked to VISA and they said Paypal is generally accpeted as a low risk purchase option by them. But you can be sent a Bob Reeves 42M thats got a fake rim on it and an unknown (enormous) backbore number stamp and have no way to get your money back, or the import tax duty paid.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul.Trumpet wrote:
Buying anything from trumpetherald marketplace is dangerous, because they allow sellers to modify or delete the advert after its sold. Then when you get a weird mouthpiece from Dave Wondra, he hides his return address, offers your money back, then says to "Paypal dispute investigators" the buyer is mistaken after modifying his advert, which is all Paypal will look at for verifying what you bought. So don't buy anything with Paypal from trumpetherald if you don't like to be ripped off because they have made it easy for fraudsters to rip you off and make it look legitimate. I talked to VISA and they said Paypal is generally accpeted as a low risk purchase option by them. But you can be sent a Bob Reeves 42M thats got a fake rim on it and an unknown (enormous) backbore number stamp and have no way to get your money back, or the import tax duty paid.

Funny how your story does not jive with Dave's side of what happened. He is a good, trusted friend of mine. I would suggest you not take this any further, in order to avoid slander charges.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all well and good to harp on about how dangerous it is to use the marketplace, or how the moderators need to up the number of posts made before being able to advertise.

Wouldn't it just be better to accept personal responsibility for your business transactions? By all means, be a bit suspicious about people you don't know. Check them out. If you are satisfied, then go for it, if not, tell them WHY and give them the chance to make good on their bona fides.

When I am in contact with people, I tell them where I work, who I am and they can go check if they like. After that, it's either they trust me or not. And vice versa.

That said, I have had more trouble with the trumpet herald marketplace than any other on-line forum or eBay, etc. usually it due to tyre kickers if I'm selling, or gazumpers if I'm trying to buy. I'll not mention poor, broke Mr Roberts who agreed to buy a horn from me late last year (yeah, THAT one) and back out pleading no money, after selling over $4k of horns on eBay that week. Ah... but he seems to buy low, sell high, which will get noticed by purchasers, IF THEY DO THEIR HOMEWORK! (looks like I drove too hard a bargain, agreeing to his offer!)

So, do YOUR homework, then you can be assured of a much safer experience.

cheers

Andy
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
It's all well and good to harp on about how dangerous it is to use the marketplace, or how the moderators need to up the number of posts made before being able to advertise.

Andy
The issue is simple. Without several days or weeks of membership and many posts in the Forums, we have no way to know who we are dealing with. There is no history. There is no proof that the seller was committed enough to participate in order to be able to sell... and that alone indicates a level of seriousness. So in order to do what you are suggesting there needs to be some evidence on which to make a sound and sensible decision.

By the way, I don't harp. I have an opinion which was formed by long term observation and many years of experience... and I express it when the subject comes up. Harping like whining is not in my repertoire.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we need to "do our homework" HOWEVER, the scammers prey on the inexperienced. A few months back i posted a Selmer Chorus 80J for sale. A guy contacted me (nothing seemed suspicious). The only thing he said that was "different" was that he doesn't have PayPal and asked if it's ok to send me a cashier's check.

AGAIN i say - BECAUSE of the fact that i was inexperienced i said "Ok, deal." He sent me a check for more than what i asked, and i genuinely thought he made a mistake and was very close to sending him a check with the difference, however i found out JUST in time that he was a scammer. But you see, his check didn't bounce, it went through! Obviously, NOW i know, but at the time it was my FIRST sale on TrumpetHerald...Thank God i didn't learn the hard way...

So yeah...it's good to be extra careful. Better safe than sorry...
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the money scams. On the striped bass fishing site I frequent, access to emails, pms and to any selling OR buying is blocked until the required number of posts and length of membership time is reached. That makes it impossible for scammers to even send these emails to you (or for you to ever see them actually). Non of the scammers are going to join a site, stay on board and post multiple times in order to play their game. They are quick hit artists, not finesse players. So all of these money scams would simply not happen. Period.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
billybobb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatanas wrote:
I agree, we need to "do our homework" HOWEVER, the scammers prey on the inexperienced. A few months back i posted a Selmer Chorus 80J for sale. A guy contacted me (nothing seemed suspicious). The only thing he said that was "different" was that he doesn't have PayPal and asked if it's ok to send me a cashier's check.

AGAIN i say - BECAUSE of the fact that i was inexperienced i said "Ok, deal." He sent me a check for more than what i asked, and i genuinely thought he made a mistake and was very close to sending him a check with the difference, however i found out JUST in time that he was a scammer. But you see, his check didn't bounce, it went through! Obviously, NOW i know, but at the time it was my FIRST sale on TrumpetHerald...Thank God i didn't learn the hard way...

If his check went through, how was he a scammer and what did you do with the money? Finish the story lol.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scatanas wrote:

That is exactly why that scam works. The check clears your bank which then forwards it to the issuing bank. The issuing bank notes the check isn't good, tells your bank, which then demands the money back, from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: